Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
I don't know who needs to hear this, but here it is: You are not good at reading minds. Anytime you read a text message or email as having a specific tone, you are almost certainly dead wrong. Even in person, almost anytime you think you know what another person is feeling or thinking, or see them as speaking with a certain tone or attitude, you are wrong. You are not good at reading minds. You are not good at reading between the lines. Not only are you wrong when you read between the lines, but you are reading lines that aren't even there. It's not just a mis-perception; it's a total utter hallucination.

You are almost certainly utterly wrong anytime you say or think something like the following:

"He didn't say he feels X, but as an empath I can tell he feels X"

"He didn't say XYC, but I read between the lines and can tell he meant ABC even though he said XYZ not ABC."

"She didn't say she wants Y, but..."

"She didn't say she feels X, but..."

"He didn't say Z, but..."

"I didn't assertively and explicitly ask for X, but..."

"I didn't tell you I thought Y, but..."

That's all foolish absurdities. It's all either you being toxically unassertive, you enabling toxic unassertiveness in others, or both. And, if you do any of that, it also leads to you believing things that are utterly untrue.

Whatever you read between the lines is almost certainly wrong.

Whatever you mind-read is almost certainly wrong.

Whatever you expect others to mind-read out of your head, they won't. When you get frustrated for them not reading your mind correctly, and blame them for it, you are wrong and foolish. It's not their fault at all that you expected them to do something impossible (i.e. read your mind), let alone that they didn't do it.

The assertive non-toxic person won't assume you mean XYZ when you say ABC. At most, they will simply politely ask with bland curiosity something like, "To ensure I understand correctly, when you say XYZ, do you mean ABC?"

And, more often than not, the answer will be, "no".

Even when both parties are doing their best to be clear, assertive, and explicit, and even when all other circumstances are at their best for mutual understanding, it is still almost impossible to ever fully understand what another person is feeling or thinking, or what they mean exactly by what they are saying.

If you add things like reading between the lines or reading a tone into text, or otherwise mind-reading or expecting someone to mind-read, then it becomes absurdly impossible that any kind of real communication will take place, rather than the two separated individuals each experiencing their own fictional VR-world of self-created projections. In that case, you are no more dealing with another person than you are when you talk to a brick wall. At that point, you are just using them as the blank canvass on which to imagine and project your fictional story. Whether it's a comedy story, a horror story, a hateful story of a hellish world, or a beautiful story of your life in heaven is all 100% up to you, like when you have a lucid dream at night while sleeping.

I now give you these four sentences of my creation as something you can consider saying to yourself once or more per day every day as a mediation, especially anytime you feel yourself getting frustrated at someone or worse:

They don't think what you think they think.

They don't feel what you feel they feel.

You are not good at mind-reading, and neither are they.

You are not good at reading between the lines, and neither are they.

Of course, you will want to switch it from second-person to first-person when you do this meditation, which will come out as the following:

They don't think what I think they think.

They don't feel what I feel they feel.

I am not good at mind-reading, and neither are they.

I am not good at reading between the lines, and neither are they.

If you can, say the above words to yourself once every day as well as anytime you notice yourself getting even remotely frustrated with another person.

Here is a list of topics about projection, reading between the lines, toxic unassertiveness, and the enabling of unassertiveness:

We see what we want to see, meaning what we choose to see

"You carry heaven or hell with you wherever you go." | Perception is Projection. What are you projecting?

Perception is almost entirely a matter of projection.

Aggression vs. True Assertiveness | No means no, yes means yes, and everything else generally means nothing.

How Unassertiveness Leads to Aggression and the Illusion of 'Shoulds' and 'Oughts'

To have hate in your heart is to be in hell.

Big Tip for Negotiation & Productive Communication: Less is more. | The power of direct, simple assertiveness. Say less!
(a.k.a. The Principle of KIS: Keep It Simple. Get to and focus on the simple bottom line; Say what you mean, mean what you say, and generally treat others as if they are doing the same, rather than reading between their lines or hoping they read between yours.)

Commentary on self-transcendence, ego death, and dying before you die; with a finger snap more brutal than Thanos
(Contains optical illusions that help demonstrate how you aren't seeing some external reality as it is, but rather are living as an avatar in a video-game-like VR-world being run as an absurd simulation in your brain from inside a dark quiet skull. You aren't seeing the outside world, but rather what looks like an outside world to you and looks like far away to you is a very close under-the-skin movie-like hallucination being projected onto a screen inside your skull for you to watch from inside your skull. It's all happening inside your skull.)

A fun example of reading between the lines, and the ways in which the outer world is a mirror, is this hilarious skit from Key & Peele:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

From a Ted Talk by neuroscientist, Anil Seth. <br /><br />Anil Seth is a Professor of Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience at the University of Sussex, where he is also Director of the Sussex Centre for Consciousness Science.
From a Ted Talk by neuroscientist, Anil Seth.

Anil Seth is a Professor of Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience at the University of Sussex, where he is also Director of the Sussex Centre for Consciousness Science.

your-brain-hallucinates-your-conscious-reality.jpg (343.05 KiB) Viewed 6557 times
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Your insights emphasize the importance of self-awareness and clarity in communication. By acknowledging our limitations in understanding others' thoughts and feelings, we can approach interactions with humility and open-mindedness. Cultivating assertiveness while respecting boundaries helps create healthier communication dynamics and fosters genuine understanding. Your reminders serve as a valuable guide for navigating complex social interactions with empathy and integrity.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=527480
I can't believe I will hear this one day. I've made this mistake a lot of times and end up apologizing. When I felt the solid reality of this is when I fell victim to it. It usually happens in online chats but not exclusive to that, it also happens in physical conversations. This is a call to clarity in communication and the exoneration of assumptions.
This post truly opened my eyes to something I've never considered before. The insights it offered on projection, deciphering underlying messages, and dealing with toxic unassertiveness were incredibly valuable to me. I'm determined to address these issues and overcome them.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=492122
The insightful observations made about misinterpretation in communication, the fallacy of projection, and toxic unassertiveness offer a profound lens through which to examine the complexities of human interaction, especially in the context of today's pervasive social media use. By drawing on examples and insights from human psychology, we can further illuminate how these themes manifest in our digital interactions and the implications they have for our understanding of ourselves and others.

The digital landscape of social media, with its reliance on text-based communication, emojis, and ephemeral content, significantly amplifies the potential for misinterpretation. Without the benefit of non-verbal cues such as tone of voice, facial expressions, and body language, users are often left to infer the emotional context of messages. This scenario is ripe for the kind of misinterpretation highlighted in the post. For example, a comment intended as sarcastic could easily be perceived as genuine praise or vice versa, leading to confusion and potential conflict. The psychology behind this phenomenon is rooted in the theory of mind—the ability to attribute mental states to oneself and others. In the absence of direct cues, our brains attempt to fill in the gaps, often relying on our biases and past experiences, which can distort the intended message.

Social media platforms become echo chambers where the fallacy of projection is magnified. Users often project their values, beliefs, and emotional states onto others, interpreting posts and comments through the lens of their personal experiences and biases. This can lead to a distorted understanding of others' intentions and feelings. For instance, someone feeling vulnerable or insecure might interpret a friend's vacation photos as a boastful display of a perfect life, rather than a simple sharing of joyful moments. The psychological concept of projection explains this tendency to externalize one's internal feelings or thoughts onto others, often as a defense mechanism to cope with uncomfortable emotions. Social media, with its curated personas and highlight reels, serves as a fertile ground for such projections, exacerbating misunderstandings and feelings of inadequacy among users.

The critique of toxic unassertiveness finds a parallel in social media interactions, where passive communication styles can lead to frustration and resentment. For example, 'sub tweeting' or 'vague booking'—posting vague statuses or tweets aimed at someone without mentioning them directly—are common manifestations of toxic unassertiveness on social media. These practices reflect an unwillingness or inability to address issues directly, expecting others to decipher the hidden messages or feelings behind the posts. This not only hinders effective communication but also contributes to a culture of indirectness and avoidance, which can strain relationships. From a psychological perspective, such behavior may stem from a fear of confrontation or rejection, yet it ultimately undermines the authenticity and depth of our social connections.
I just shared a post on Facebook and a post on Twitter (a.k.a. X) about this. Please share both to help get this helpful happiness-spreading information out there. :)
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
These thoughts seem to be the outcome of a close observation and analysis of life events. We are not good at reading minds. Also, we are not good at reading between the lines. We read lines that aren't even there and are in a state of hallucination. We are not seeing the external reality as it is. For real communication to take place, we should say what we mean, mean what we say, and treat others as if they are doing the same.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream