Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Sy Borg wrote: June 12th, 2024, 3:50 pm
Ultimately, it's large numbers that lead to such desensitisation/dehumanisation. When beings exist in large numbers they may only be considered to be rare and precious as individuals to those who know them, but they are worth little as members of demographic groups. Just a number. Data points.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 12th, 2024, 7:41 amYes, we see this as Israel pretends its actions are justified. They use conditioning through lies, and linguistic manipulation.
We see this in the slavish hatred of Jews and Israel.
am Jewish.
I suppose you are going to call me a self-hating jew for being against genocide??
:D :D
How predictable.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 12th, 2024, 9:04 am Sy Borg is right. There's conditioning at every level, starting with education — social conformance conditioning — and ending with torture, I suppose.
He's a prime example of racial conditioning, where everything Isreal does is good and all critiques of Israel are bad.
As regards the dogs, we have always had an unfortunate tendency to treat everything in the world, often including ourselves or each other, as if it's just there to be used as we see fit. We don't see other living things as such, but only as things for us to use as we wish. 😢
I realise that as a person raised in the UK my attitude to dogs and homeless children is not typical.
Nonetheless even on an objective level it is clear that they possess many of the same characteristics that the superior race of Israelis do too.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 13th, 2024, 4:12 am
Ultimately, it's large numbers that lead to such desensitisation/dehumanisation. When beings exist in large numbers they may only be considered to be rare and precious as individuals to those who know them, but they are worth little as members of demographic groups. Just a number. Data points.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 12th, 2024, 7:41 amYes, we see this as Israel pretends its actions are justified. They use conditioning through lies, and linguistic manipulation.
am Jewish.
I suppose you are going to call me a self-hating jew for being against genocide??
How predictable.
Why are you only against this "genocide" and show zero interest in any others, that are actual genocides?
Sy Borg wrote: June 13th, 2024, 5:22 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 13th, 2024, 4:12 am
am Jewish.
How predictable.
Why are you only against this "genocide" and show zero interest in any others, that are actual genocides?
I find your attitude abhorrent. Not sure why you persist.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 13th, 2024, 6:51 amI find your attitude abhorrent. Not sure why you persist.
But that goes for you as well in both arguments. Indiscriminate morally absolute judgment against animal or human research that you seem to hold does not stand a chance against the good in fact that is gained by humanity from the animal research that leads to medical and pharmaceutical advances otherwise unobtainable. Because of this, laws restrict human researches but not animal researches. Abhorrent but necessary. At best we can hide our heads in the sand and ignore the cruelty to laboratory animals, but we have to live with it in shame.

Elsewhere, your being Jewish does not excuse your equally despicable attitude toward Israel and by extension against all Jews everywhere including yourself. Unfortunately, when you march in a pro-Palestinian protest you are by default also marching in favor of the most heinous type of terrorism of Hamas and others, that in cold blood will continue to commit the atrocities that was carried out in Israel.

Consider this, if that happened in your own country how would your nation respond differently? Would you still voice the moral absolute at your own peril, or is that only reserved for Jews?

Here, in the US we conducted an extended bloody war against terrorism that is always simmering. And I don't see many supporting those terrorists.
Bluemist wrote: June 13th, 2024, 8:22 am Indiscriminate morally absolute judgment against animal or human research that you seem to hold does not stand a chance against the good in fact that is gained by humanity from the animal research that leads to medical and pharmaceutical advances otherwise unobtainable.
When WW2 ended, we discovered some very unpleasant things about death camps, and Mengeler's experiments on human subjects. The almost-universal reaction to his actions was disapproval; they were found to be unacceptable. The vast majority of us agree with this conclusion, and rightly so, IMO.

But here you seem to say that if Mengeler had restricted himself to non-human subjects, his doings would've been fine? Are other animals so different from human animals, that what is vile and unacceptable when done to human animals is actually praiseworthy (👆) when done to non-human animals, for the benefit of human animals? Is it your position that this is not only acceptable, but actually desirable?
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 13th, 2024, 9:02 amBut here you seem to say that if Mengeler had restricted himself to non-human subjects, his doings would've been fine?
No, I'm not saying that at all. I am only talking about life saving and life improvement medical research that is officially approved by the scientific community.

For example, cancer treatment medical procedures and drugs that prolong life for everyone. Modern drugs are immensely expensive to develop because after a supposed discovery they must be proved effective and safe for human use. Effectiveness can sometimes be proven biochemically, as for example for penicillin, but safety can only be proven by application to many unfortunate mice, guinea pigs, or larger animals. But human experimentation is prohibited, except for keeping track of results and side effects in practice after the drugs are released to the public.
I forgot human trials after the animal studies. Statistically enough human volunteers or recruits are also studied for long-term safety, just in case, before official approval and release of drugs.
Bluemist wrote: June 13th, 2024, 8:22 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 13th, 2024, 6:51 amI find your attitude abhorrent. Not sure why you persist.
But that goes for you as well in both arguments. Indiscriminate morally absolute judgment against animal or human research that you seem to hold does not stand a chance against the good in fact that is gained by humanity from the animal research that leads to medical and pharmaceutical advances otherwise unobtainable. Because of this, laws restrict human researches but not animal researches. Abhorrent but necessary. At best we can hide our heads in the sand and ignore the cruelty to laboratory animals, but we have to live with it in shame.
I am making an observation that a conditioned reflex is a poor interpretation of what is going on. Although there is a moral aspect to this, it in no way reflects on the practical aspects of the failed experiment.
So did you have ANY evidence that this example has led to ANY "medical and pharmaceutical advances otherwise unobtainable.", are are you, as I think, just blowing hot air.
Please give examples!

Elsewhere, your being Jewish does not excuse your equally despicable attitude toward Israel and by extension against all Jews everywhere including yourself. Unfortunately, when you march in a pro-Palestinian protest you are by default also marching in favor of the most heinous type of terrorism of Hamas and others, that in cold blood will continue to commit the atrocities that was carried out in Israel.
Isreal is killing thousands of children. How do you justify that?

Consider this, if that happened in your own country how would your nation respond differently? Would you still voice the moral absolute at your own peril, or is that only reserved for Jews?
What is the "IT" to which you refer?

I suppose you think that the horrors of Palestine/Isreal started Oct 7th?
LOL

Now "if it happened in my country"...
It imposition of the Isreali state upon the Palestinian one is completely unprecedented.
However Northern Ireland is a partition situation, and I can tell you that at no time since 1921 did the UK attack Ireland for the actions of the IRA in the North.
That is as close to answering your question.
The UK did not:
cut off food
destory the education system by the systematic destruction of schools and universities
Raise hospitals to the ground.
kill doctors and nurse.
run people armed with bags of flour over with tanks.
target children with snipers.
block humanitarian aid.
nor do they teach jewish white superiority to the children in schools.

Here, in the US we conducted an extended bloody war against terrorism that is always simmering. And I don't see many supporting those terrorists.
THe USA is funding terrorism all over the world.
WHat planet do you live on?
THere has been a steady war agains democracy all over the world on you tax dollar.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 13th, 2024, 11:31 amI am making an observation that a conditioned reflex is a poor interpretation of what is going on. Although there is a moral aspect to this, it in no way reflects on the practical aspects of the failed experiment.
So did you have ANY evidence that this example has led to ANY "medical and pharmaceutical advances otherwise unobtainable.", are are you, as I think, just blowing hot air.
Please give examples!
You need to read some wiki articles on the topic so we can at least use common standard language
<Medical_research>
<Animal_testing>
<Ivan_Pavlov#Studies_of_digestion>
Sculptor1 wrote: June 13th, 2024, 11:31 am Isreal is killing thousands of children. How do you justify that?
I don't.
Before you ask a question like that you should try to get your Hamas propaganda straight. Again, from wiki:
<Al-Ahli_Arab_Hospital_explosion>
Bluemist wrote: June 13th, 2024, 8:22 am

Thanks for speaking up. I've been carrying this can alone for a while now and, really, I'd rather talk about something that's not base media fodder.

Meanwhile, Sculptor thinks it is abhorrent that I keep pointing to the disaster in Sudan - a war that anti-Israel fanatics not only ignore, but consider it offensive to even mention it! Logically, if one is concerned about human rights, one worries about all the worst conflicts. Yet, it's the opposite. Palestine is more than ten times less lethal than either the Syrian or Yemeni wars - but we heard not a peep in contrast. Sudan has also been far more lethal and damaging - yet another Muslim-driven war - not word. Both the media and most people on social media, including here.

As for treatment of laboratory animals, I'm guessing that anything we do in the west will be less extreme than much of the research conducted in eastern countries. In the east, scientists are far more likely to perform dire experiments, not unlike the 19th century. Still, progress is unpredictable. In the past, quite a few breakthroughs came at the expense of experimental victims https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/13/med ... so-useful/, and it's easy to imagine that, say, China's genetic engineering will progress more quickly that the more-careful west.

If AI becomes sentient, that will create another complication. Again, China is less squeamish about having to break a few eggs to bake a cake, so they have an advantage in this area too (if the lack of ethical controls doesn't backfire).
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 13th, 2024, 9:02 amBut here you seem to say that if Mengeler had restricted himself to non-human subjects, his doings would've been fine?
Bluemist wrote: June 13th, 2024, 9:55 am No, I'm not saying that at all. I am only talking about life saving and life improvement medical research that is officially approved by the scientific community.
Then you have missed my point entirely. If something would not be allowed to be done to human animals, what possible moral justification can there be for doing it to other animals? These other animals are imprisoned, enslaved, and (depending on the outcome of the so-called 'tests') tortured to death. All this, even though human animals often don't react to pharmaceuticals the same way other animals do, so their suffering is actually pointless.

Perhaps if we want these drugs developing, we should try them on ourselves? I think their effect on billionaires should translate well to the rest of humanity...?
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
Sy Borg wrote: June 13th, 2024, 6:11 pm ... pointing to the disaster in Sudan - a war that anti-Israel fanatics not only ignore, but consider it offensive to even mention it! Logically, if one is concerned about human rights, one worries about all the worst conflicts. Yet, it's the opposite. Palestine is more than ten times less lethal than either the Syrian or Yemeni wars - but we heard not a peep in contrast. Sudan has also been far more lethal and damaging - yet another Muslim-driven war - not word. Both the media and most people on social media, including here.

As for treatment of laboratory animals, I'm guessing that anything we do in the west will be less extreme than much of the research conducted in eastern countries. ...
I believe that all wars are about immoral killing of people on both sides, with political consequences favoring the winner (except for Israel where the military victor loses politically).

And you are right, we never hear about all those massacres in the 'third-world' empowered by proliferation of past generation arms and ammunition, nor of the cold war being actively waged to gain control of land and resources. They just don't matter, do they??
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 14th, 2024, 6:43 am Then you have missed my point entirely. If something would not be allowed to be done to human animals, what possible moral justification can there be for doing it to other animals?
No moral justification is possible for causing or allowing any form of cruel treatment of people or animals. Otherwise what would be the point of morality at all? Can my standards of morality be different from your standards of morality?
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 14th, 2024, 6:43 am These other animals are imprisoned, enslaved, and (depending on the outcome of the so-called 'tests') tortured to death. All this, even though human animals often don't react to pharmaceuticals the same way other animals do, so their suffering is actually pointless.
Opinions, laws, and practice of war, cruelty and sanctioned murder differ from standards of morality, and this difference of point of view is the source of varying degrees of justified moral outrage.

Can animal cruelty be justified? According to laws in different countries based on their medical and economic interests, it can.
But if I take an absolutist moral stance, then to be logically consistent, I'll have to be a vegetarian, without personal use of medication, cosmetics, or surgery.

Tragically, objective facts of the world, personal circumstances, and subjective opinions usually based on false truths lead to conflicting judgments that lead to wars, cruelty, and murder in our lifetime. Look at Ukraine, for example. Both sides are getting massacred pointlessly because of wholly mistaken belief in political rights. Russia can stop the war at any time, but can Ukraine?
Bluemist wrote: June 14th, 2024, 10:18 am
Sy Borg wrote: June 13th, 2024, 6:11 pm ... pointing to the disaster in Sudan - a war that anti-Israel fanatics not only ignore, but consider it offensive to even mention it! Logically, if one is concerned about human rights, one worries about all the worst conflicts. Yet, it's the opposite. Palestine is more than ten times less lethal than either the Syrian or Yemeni wars - but we heard not a peep in contrast. Sudan has also been far more lethal and damaging - yet another Muslim-driven war - not word. Both the media and most people on social media, including here.

As for treatment of laboratory animals, I'm guessing that anything we do in the west will be less extreme than much of the research conducted in eastern countries. ...
I believe that all wars are about immoral killing of people on both sides, with political consequences favoring the winner (except for Israel where the military victor loses politically).

And you are right, we never hear about all those massacres in the 'third-world' empowered by proliferation of past generation arms and ammunition, nor of the cold war being actively waged to gain control of land and resources. They just don't matter, do they??
No, the media carefully curates the direction of people's attention. For years I figured claims that universities were inculcating students with Marxism to be a "far right" conspiracy theory. However, seeing Ivy League presidents saying that calls for Jewish genocide might not be against university rules, based on context. My jaw was on the floor when I saw it. Replace "Jews" with any other group (other than "whites") and there would have been hell to pay. Then there was the redefinition of racism so that it was impossible for anyone to be "racist" against white people.

Now it's clear. The reason why none of these other conflicts are of interest to the so-called "intelligentsia" is because they can't be framed with the west deemed as The Oppressor over The Oppressed - the latter group is afforded no moral agency and generally considered to be incapable of serious wrongdoing, like children or animals. Thus, Hamas's use of killing, torture and human shields are considered to be justified.

Universalism has gone out the window - the idea that war is in itself just a massive waste of humans, animals, social and political systems, infrastructure and the poor, tortured lands turned into dust bowls. No warfare is positive, but history tells us that it is inevitable. Life and this world requires destruction to grow, and is none too fussy about how it happens.

In this context, reductionism is only one of science's issues. Worse is the corruption of academia, not just by aforementioned Marxists, but also corporate lucre, eg. Big Pharma's influence on medical and chemical research. Academics rely on hard-to-come-by grant money, so it's inevitable that many will sell out, especially when there are intense cost of living pressures.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream