Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Typically, merely increasing income doesn't solve problems; it can even exacerbate them. This is reflected in the saying 'more money, more problems.' Real contentment and financial stability require more than just additional resources; they need a mindset of gratitude and responsible management. Sometimes, having more leads to greater dissatisfaction and issues.
I disagree with you to some extent. I believe that, whether an individual uses money for a good or bad purpose, depends on the individual's mindset (or maybe financial mindset). People just need to be cautious of their innate desires for material things.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=509197
It is important to recognize that the statement you provided reflects a particular perspective on the relationship between income and spending. While it is true that some individuals may indeed have a spending problem rather than an income problem, it is not accurate to generalize this claim to 99% of cases.

Financial situations can vary greatly from person to person, and it is essential to consider the nuances and complexities involved. While it is true that an increase in income does not guarantee improved financial management, it is also possible for individuals to use additional income responsibly, pay off debts, and improve their financial well-being.

The examples given, such as lottery winners going broke or ungrateful individuals becoming more ungrateful when given more, highlight specific circumstances that may not be representative of the majority. It is important to recognize that individual behavior and choices play a significant role in financial outcomes.

While it is true that excessive materialism, entitlement, or toxic enabling can lead to negative consequences, it is not accurate to assume that everyone falls into these categories. People have diverse experiences, motivations, and behaviors when it comes to money and gratitude.

While some individuals may indeed learn important lessons through challenging experiences or hitting rock bottom, it is not a universal path to salvation. Growth and transformation can occur in various ways, and it is important to approach each person's journey with empathy and understanding.
I wish I couldn’t agree with you.

Education has been the bane of my existence. The more education I accumulate, the meaner I become. Well, maybe not so much mean as jealous. Hmmm? Right out of high school, my parents trotted me off to a nice little private college where I didn’t want to go. My choice was a large university elsewhere. Two and a half years into it, I left and got married.

About 4 years later, I returned to the little college, finished my B. S. Degree in education and settled down to teaching English. Other teachers around me had MS degrees and made significantly more money. But, it wasn’t so much the money. I should have had the MS by then. Blaming my parents, I sourly reasoned that I could have if they had allowed me to go to university.

In a rotten marriage, hating my job, and jealous of those MS degrees, I gathered up my two children and went to Washington, D.C. (Talk about misguided career planning.) There, I landed a very lucrative position as a legal secretary at a posh law firm just 5 blocks from the white house and an apartment just a couple of blocks away from that. Still mad about the MS degree, I went back to teaching, planning to go back to university part-time.

Eventually earning my MS Ed with a 4.0 GPA, it seemed my cloud would be silver, not just silver-lined. Nah. Now I’m jealous of people who have doctorates. As the wise old Bugs Bunny once said: “Where am I at, and how do I stop being at here?”
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=517515
Your explanation of this issue makes me want to forget all about the lottery. I never spend much on lottery tickets but I have "wasted" money on the lottery. I was surprised by the statistics you cited, 70% of large jackpot lottery winners are bankrupt within 5 years is a staggering fact. I assume these bankruptcies are not due to the winner being generous with the winnings but rather never saving for a rainy day. The old adage regarding teaching one how to fish instead of just giving the person a fish to eat assures the person of a skill they can use for their future. The same is true if one wins a major lottery prize and gives money to everyone that asks for help, ultimately giving it all away.
I agree. I think our modern life has made it worse because of the egocentric life it promotes through capitalism. This is also the genesis of the problem of environmental degradation because individuals no longer hold sacrosanct that which is perceived as a shared resource such as the ecological environment. Industrialists, for example, are polluting our ecosystem through environmentally unfriendly policies all for self.
This is so true; I've seen it in relationships where I've played caregiver. I tend to be generous, but over the years, I've learned to set limits. You give a man a fish; you're a good person who saved someone from starving. You give a man a fish every day; you morph from savior into the cheap b****** who only gives him fish.
"More money, more problems" is a subjective statement according to me. Someone who is managing money efficiently and gets a 2X income can actually increase their net worth compared to someone who has a spending problem. Sometimes, people actually grow if their salaries grow. There are billionaires and millionaires who are successful to a point we only can imagine. I think it is like the toy given to a child who knows how to play with it. If you give it someone who doesn't than it goes to waste.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=498609
This perspective implies that the pursuit of material success may inadvertently lead to increased responsibilities, expectations, and potential pitfalls. It suggests that the allure of wealth may mask the inherent difficulties that come with it, reminding us of the nuanced nature of our aspirations and the intricate balance between desire and consequence.
People need to set their priorities before they can see what they really want. If family is most important then a man will focus on what is best for his family and not focus on making more money at the expense of time with his family. This is a potential mistake for most businessmen and probably leads to many divorces or heart attacks for the men that go all in on their career and live a very unhealthy lifestyle.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: October 27th, 2023, 7:42 pm If you haven't already, you can sign up to be personally mentored by Scott "Eckhart Aurelius" Hughes at this link.

99% of the time, when someone says they have an "income problem", they actually have a spending problem. It's kind of like how a detoxing alcoholic will claim that their problem is that they don't have enough to drink.

99% of the time when someone says or thinks that their problems would be solved by having more income and money, the exact opposite is actually the case. For example, if you double the income of someone who is in debt, they will likely just end up twice as much in debt. For example, someone who gets a mortgage and car loan they can't really afford on X income will just get twice as big a house and twice as expensive of a car loan on 2X income. They will just make the same mistakes but twice as bad.

That's where the expression "more money more problems" comes from. It means the person with the money is the problem, and the more money they get, the worse it gets.

Here are some real stats from the USA today to just illustrate the much deeper and much more timeless philosophical truth of which I speak: About 70% of big lottery winners end up going broke. 44% of winners file for bankruptcy within 5 years of winning the lottery. If you want be terribly broke and worse off financially then you are now, then hope to win the lottery.

It doesn't just happen with money: Give an ungrateful person more, and it just makes them more ungrateful (a.k.a. miserable).

Or, in other words, and I mean this playfully with no hatred at all: Give an entitled spoiled brat even more, and you just make them even more entitled and bratty and ungrateful (a.k.a. miserable).

Do you keep a daily gratitude journal in writing? Is your first thought when you wake up in the morning all the many things for which you are grateful?

Typically, the best way to destroy a person is to give them what they think they want. It's to be toxic enabler--something most people do in the name of love. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, people say. I don't know if I would actually use the label "good intentions" to describe toxic enabling in the false name of love, but it sure does a terribly massive amount of damage to humans, perhaps even more than outright hate. Careful what you do allegedly out of love, or what others do to you allegedly out of love.

99% of the time when someone claims they'd be better off if you gave them more of something, or if they otherwise got more of that thing, the truth is the exact opposite: They'd be better off with less, and worse off with more.

Luckily, nature and time has a way of teaching most people that lesson. All humans are on the addiction spectrum, and eventually pretty much all overdose in one sense or another. And rock bottom is where salvation is most often found, where people most often finally turn it all around.

Or, as I say it in my book, on page 43, "Those who have not been blessed by discomfort yet will be soon."

rock-bottom.jpg

---
In addition to having authored his book, In It Together, Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (a.k.a. Scott) runs a mentoring program, with a free option, that guarantees success. Success is guaranteed for anyone who follows the program.
It is true that most of time we don't have a clue of what we want. We may feel we will be happy if we have more money but once we get more money we will long for something else. The want list never ends and gratitude has no place in people's life these days. It is high time we took stock of our needs and redirect life in a better path towards fulfillment.
Support systems, including friends, family, and professional assistance, play pivotal roles in facilitating positive change. Empathy and understanding are key when discussing these topics, as everyone's journey is distinct. Recognizing the nuances of individuals' experiences fosters a more compassionate and accurate understanding of the complexities involved in overcoming challenges and finding resilience.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream