Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
On a forum, there is a lot of confidence in the expression through words of complicated ideas, whether in science, philosophy or religion, but, although language is a most valuable gift, it is also our biggest weakness.
To quote Whitehead:
‘The difficulty of philosophy is the expression of what is self-evident … Our understanding outruns the ordinary usage of words. Philosophy is akin to poetry.’
Understanding poetry depends heavily on the right hemisphere.

Nothing is less true than that we understand something only when we express it in language. On the contrary, language at times places a barrier between us and understanding, substitutes a crabbed expression for a living reality, and pretends to ‘explain’ it – away. Thought often far outstrips language: it has been a recurrent theme in this book, and I explored much of the evidence in The Master and his Emissary. The philosopher Bryan Magee again hits the nail on the head:
How does one say the Mona Lisa, or Leonardo’s Last Supper? The assumption that everything of significance that can be experienced, or known, or communicated, is capable of being uttered in words would be too preposterous to merit a moment’s entertainment were it not for the fact that it has underlain so much philosophy in the twentieth century…
And he continues in words I have already quoted, ‘direct experience which is never adequately communicable in words is the only knowledge we ever fully have’.

Things that can be understood only by direct experience can be spoken of only indirectly: and conversely what is talked about directly is usually experienced only indirectly, because in the process of articulation it has inevitably become a re-presentation – something other than what we experience. Nietzsche thought that distortion was not just a limitation of language, but of its essence.
And it is true that the more important something is, the harder it is to grasp in language. ‘Most events are unsayable, occur in a space that no word has ever penetrated, and most unsayable of all are works of art’, wrote Rilke, ‘mysterious existences whose life endures alongside ours, which passes away’.

Not just language, but the thinking to which it is allied, has strict limits. Deep intuitions can flourish only when there is enough space granted by not knowing, in the recognition that conventional ‘wisdom’ does not apply. What we take to be ob-vious may prove an ob-stacle; it may ob-trude on, ob-fuscate, ob-struct, ob-scure, and ultimately ob-literate the truth. In fact the meaning of the word ‘obvious’ (Latin, ob- against, + via way) is that which stands ‘in the way’ – in both the good sense, that it is what we first encounter on the highway of our cognition, and the bad sense, that it impedes our path. We must always be alert to precisely what our customary way of thinking leaves out. This is not just true of poetry: ‘If the study of science teaches one anything’, writes Polkinghorne, ‘it is not to take everyday thought as the measure of all that is.’

Language is a tool that was evolved for everyday use. In philosophical thinking of all kinds, according to Whitehead, we wrestle with ‘the difficulty of making language express anything beyond the familiarities of daily life … the struggle of novel thought with the obtuseness of language’: one of the problems of philosophy, according to him, was the ‘uncritical trust in the adequacy of language’, for ‘in philosophy linguistic discussion is a tool’ – it is a useful servant – ‘but should never be a master’.
McGilchrist, Iain. The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (pp. 1848-1850). Perspectiva Press. Kindle Edition.
Language is of paramount importance in human relations as it enables communication, understanding, and the exchange of ideas. It's a fundamental tool for expressing thoughts, emotions, and concepts, and it plays a crucial role in building connections and fostering relationships among people. But do we take its limitations and weaknesses into account?

Language can be inherently ambiguous, leading to misunderstandings or misinterpretations, and it seems that only few take the fact that words and phrases sometimes have multiple meanings or connotations into account. As mentioned in the quote above, language may not always capture the full depth and complexity of human emotions, experiences, or ideas. Some concepts may be challenging to express adequately, leading to frustration or inefficiency in communication.

But language is also influenced by cultural, social, and individual perspectives. What one person or culture means by a word or phrase may not align with another person's understanding, leading to cultural or linguistic misunderstandings and false translations. Religionists often fail to realise how their predecessors not only spoke a different language but had huge cultural differences to them.

I also get the feeling that although much of human communication relies on nonverbal cues such as body language, tone of voice, and facial expressions, and the written text may not convey the full intended meaning of a message, in social media we attack each other at the drop of a hat. In some discussions with technical or scientific contexts, participants may lack the precision needed to convey highly specific information. This is why specialized languages, like mathematical notation or scientific jargon, are often used in such fields, which is a problem for lay people to understand.

What do you think?
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts Location: Germany
Stoppelmann wrote: September 26th, 2023, 7:59 am What do you think?
I think I agree with most of what you have posted, to the point where I'm not sure I have anything useful to add. 😊

[Edited to add:] Many times, people have said to me, "I'm a visual thinker", or something similar. But I wonder how they know this? I try to think about this, but cannot come to any definite conclusions. I am fairly sure my thinking is not done only in words. I seem to think in patterns, or connected-structures, but I can't really be very sure. I can't disentangle my thinking from thinking about my thinking...
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 27th, 2023, 11:05 am Many times, people have said to me, "I'm a visual thinker", or something similar. But I wonder how they know this? I try to think about this, but cannot come to any definite conclusions. I am fairly sure my thinking is not done only in words. I seem to think in patterns, or connected-structures, but I can't really be very sure. I can't disentangle my thinking from thinking about my thinking...
I'm sure there are many people who have your ability, but often they are outside of the accepted box. How important it is can be seen in the fact that Einstein used his imagination to come to his theories, which he worked out mathematically afterwards.

Visual Thinking is when you are consciously using and working with a simple visual language (patterns, images, symbols, lines, people, drawings and other elements), which is then combined with written notes. But it is also the ability to consciously use metaphors and storytelling as methods of thinking, which implies an active imagination and use of the visual power of our brain. The conscious use of kinaesthetic and haptic (analogue) methods, like using paper and pen, or templates to visualise what you are thinking about, even if it isn’t formal art, is also visually thinking, and also a means of meditative reflection.

The more we restrict ourselves to written sources in order to understand, the more we employ the left hemisphere, which we can habitually overemploy, and the dogmatism of the church is an example of such a narrow view. That is why the reformation was also wrong when it threw out the works of art and made their churches dull and uninspiring in the interest of precision of meaning. “The Word” is metaphor through and through, and only if we make use of it as in poetry, can it transcend the meaning of the words, and approach the mystery of being.
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts Location: Germany
Stoppelmann wrote: September 26th, 2023, 7:59 am What do you think?
It appears to me that many wish to be understood, while at the same time not investing effort to understand another. Probably part of the human condition.

Often the smartest person in the room is afraid to share, as a result everyone looses.

From what you write in the OP, it seems you value understanding. As strange as it sounds, not everyone values understanding.

We have some built in driving forces that have no dependency on understanding others. We might get advantages if we understand others, but that is not a prerequisite for the driving force. Seeking understanding is an fine example of a higher level function, above the driving forces.

Sometimes it doesn't matter. Think about when an enemy attacks and is in the processes of killing you. We must react even without understanding.

In my past, I have done some tasks that could be considered technical. I found that only the persons that REALLY understood could explain in a way that would facilitate understanding. Those that don't know, will talk forever and use much words, while the point is lost or even avoided and none can understand.

Do we take enough time to understand. NO.
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 27th, 2023, 11:05 am Many times, people have said to me, "I'm a visual thinker", or something similar. But I wonder how they know this? I try to think about this, but cannot come to any definite conclusions. I am fairly sure my thinking is not done only in words. I seem to think in patterns, or connected-structures, but I can't really be very sure. I can't disentangle my thinking from thinking about my thinking...
Stoppelmann wrote: September 28th, 2023, 4:11 am I'm sure there are many people who have your ability, but often they are outside of the accepted box. How important it is can be seen in the fact that Einstein used his imagination to come to his theories, which he worked out mathematically afterwards.
Isn't that how most (all?) theories emerge? The benzene ring from musing over an open fire...? Coleridge's "Kubla Khan"? And so on.

Stoppelmann wrote: September 28th, 2023, 4:11 am Visual Thinking is when you are consciously using and working with a simple visual language (patterns, images, symbols, lines, people, drawings and other elements), which is then combined with written notes. But it is also the ability to consciously use metaphors and storytelling as methods of thinking, which implies an active imagination and use of the visual power of our brain. The conscious use of kinaesthetic and haptic (analogue) methods, like using paper and pen, or templates to visualise what you are thinking about, even if it isn’t formal art, is also visually thinking, and also a means of meditative reflection.
I was being more literal than that when I said I'm not a visual thinker. I can't retain images of stuff anyway, but that is my personal circumstance, not a general observation. I can do many of the things you describe above, very much including heavy use of patterns. My net-name is not a coincidence. Nor is the title of "world renowned autism expert" (🤢) Simon Baron-Cohen's latest book, "The pattern-seekers". 😉
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream