Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Miracle Kingss wrote: May 29th, 2024, 6:50 am I have read this book a number of times to fully grasp all the knowledge it contains. The only thing I still don't understand how the author came to the conclusion that there is no problem of evil.

Hi, Miracle Kingss,

If you don't agree with every single sentence from the book, please post a verbatim quote of the very first sentence in the book with which you disagree, meaning the sentence closest to the beginning of the book.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Edah Chemonges wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 11:25 pm "It's not extreme selfishness, let alone full-blown psychopathy, that is the cause of our failure to save starving children among needy others, but rather the opposite: it is our self-destructiveness."

I think this is more of a hypothetical scenario.
I don't understand what you mean.

The question isn't whether a sentence is hypothetical or not.
Jennifer Coxon wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:45 pm I really didn't understand the reference to dualism and monoism.
That is not a reference to some kind of philosophical metaphysical dualism. Rather, the truths in this book are agreeable to metaphysical dualists and monists alike. One could even argue that the differences between most forms of dualism and monism are merely semantics.
That is not a sentence; that is three sentences.

Can you quote the very first sentence that you don't understand?

That is, assuming you already understand each word on its own.

Otherwise, you can just use a dictionary to look up the one word.

For instance, if you just don't know what the word 'monism' means in general and/or don't know what the word 'dualism' means in general, you can just look those up in a dictionary or encyclopedia.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Adaboo wrote: June 10th, 2024, 3:37 am Did every cell in the body depend on a higher supreme other than your higher self? I believe in a higher supreme existence of a supreme power in every aspect of life, I do not say there's no God but he's in every intelligent matter of the cosmos. By the saying "We created man in our image." A reflection. You need to be a Guru to understand. :cry: :cry:

Hi, Adaboo,

That is not a quote of a sentence from my book.

If you don't agree with every single sentence from the book, please post a verbatim quote of the very first sentence in the book with which you disagree, meaning the sentence closest to the beginning of the book.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: June 11th, 2024, 1:24 pm
Adaboo wrote: June 10th, 2024, 3:37 am Did every cell in the body depend on a higher supreme other than your higher self? I believe in a higher supreme existence of a supreme power in every aspect of life, I do not say there's no God but he's in every intelligent matter of the cosmos. By the saying "We created man in our image." A reflection. You need to be a Guru to understand. :cry: :cry:

Hi, Adaboo,

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Premium Member
Re: Did you understand every sentence in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what part did you first not understand?
Post June 8th, 2024, 9:25 pm
There is a quote from the Bible which says I can do all things through God who strengthens me. I used to believe this sentence and ask God for his strength when ever I wanted to do anything. But that changed about a year ago. I started believing in my self and letting the universe take control. This means that I did my best and whether it was successful or not I let it be because I can not control the outcome of everything.
⬆️
This is a particular quote a premium member (Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango) made. And I wasn't trying to be biased and be straight but to diversify the explanation of the existence of a higher power. I mean God is within us. The Bible gurus readers can testify to this. And don't forget that Islam is another religion of 'I Self Learn And Master ' , which is where it meaning is derived. So God really proves anything with the existence of man.
Last edited by Adaboo on June 11th, 2024, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adaboo wrote: June 11th, 2024, 5:21 pm
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: June 11th, 2024, 1:24 pm

Hi, Adaboo,

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Premium Member
Re: Did you understand every sentence in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what part did you first not understand?
Post June 8th, 2024, 9:25 pm
There is a quote from the Bible which says I can do all things through God who strengthens me. I used to believe this sentence and ask God for his strength when ever I wanted to do anything. But that changed about a year ago. I started believing in my self and letting the universe take control. This means that I did my best and whether it was successful or not I let it be because I can not control the outcome of everything.
⬆️
This is a particular quote a premium member (Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango) made. And I wasn't trying to be biased and be straight but to diversify the explanation of the existence of a higher power. I mean God is within us. The Bible gurus readers can testify to this. And don't forget that Islam is another religion of 'I Self Learn And Master ' , which is where it meaning is derived. So God really proves anything with the existence of man.
Please do not post in this topic unless you are posting a verbatim quote from the book "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" that you didn't understand.
If you haven't already, you can sign up to be personally mentored by Scott "Eckhart Aurelius" Hughes at this link.

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: June 8th, 2024, 2:06 am 3. You can do your best to see the world from a god's eyes, meaning from a god's eye view.

Juanita Phelps wrote: June 8th, 2024, 4:09 pm 3. The God's eye view baffles me. If I do my best to see the world from a god's eyes, meaning from a god's eye view, what am I looking for? How will I know when I see it?

Hi, Juanita Phelps,

Thank you for your question! :)

By "seeing things from a god's eye view" or "looking at things from a god's eye view", what I mean is seeing and/or looking at them from an objective perspective, which includes looking at them in a tenseless way (i.e. without leftness versus rightness, without time, without space, and without there even being a difference between would-be time and would-be space). In other words, it's looking at reality as an eternal timeless objective whole.

From the eyes of an antelope being chased by a lion, it might be subjectively undesirable that the lion catches the antelope.

From the eyes of the lion, it might be subjectively undesirable that the antelope gets away.

Objectively (a.k.a. from a god's eye view), it's functionally already fated which of those two occurs (despite the event potentially being in "the future" from the lion's and antelope's subjective perspectives), and more importantly, neither case is objectively undesirable, at least to the extent it is what is the case.

To one person, peanut butter tastes good. To another, peanut butter tastes bad.

But both of those people can do their best to look at things objectively  (a.k.a. from a god's eye view, or god's tongue taste :lol: ), in which peanut butter neither tastes good nor bad because taste is subjective. 

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

god's eye view.png
god's eye view.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 62431 times

In addition to having authored his book, In It Together, Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (a.k.a. Scott) runs a mentoring program, with a free option, that guarantees success. Success is guaranteed for anyone who follows the program.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: June 8th, 2024, 2:06 am 3. You can do your best to see the world from a god's eyes, meaning from a god's eye view.

Juanita Phelps wrote: June 8th, 2024, 4:09 pm 3. The God's eye view baffles me. If I do my best to see the world from a god's eyes, meaning from a god's eye view, what am I looking for? How will I know when I see it?

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: June 14th, 2024, 2:43 am Hi, Juanita Phelps,

Thank you for your question! :)

By "seeing things from a god's eye view" or "looking at things from a god's eye view", what I mean is seeing and/or looking at them from an objective perspective, which includes looking at them in a tenseless way (i.e. without leftness versus rightness, without time, without space, and without there even being a difference between would-be time and would-be space). In other words, it's looking at reality as an eternal timeless whole.

From the eyes of an antelope being chased by a lion, it might be subjectively undesirable that the lion catches the antelope.

From the eyes of the lion, it might be subjectively undesirable that the antelope gets away.

Objectively (a.k.a. from a god's eye view), it's functionally already fated which of those two occurs, and more importantly, neither case is undesirable, at least to the extent it is what is the case.

To one person, peanut butter tastes good. To another, peanut butter tastes bad.

But both of those people can do their best to look at things objectively  (i.e. from a god's eye view, or god's tongue taste :lol: ), in which peanut neither tastes good nor bad because taste is subjective. 

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Hi Scott,

Now, I “see” it. It’s observing without judging, moralizing, or rationalizing the view. It is the absolute opposite of what we humans are taught to do. We learn (and teach) to think in terms of right/wrong, good/bad, should/shouldn’t almost from birth. It’s a hard habit to kick!

The vision of the lion and the antelope is a good one to toss my way as I am quite squeamish and tend to root for the antelope, even though I don’t want the lion to starve. But, from the god’s-eye-view, I get it. It just is. And, that is that. Doris Day (before your time) would sing, “Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be…”

You have opened my eyes to see things differently. Cogito ergo sum.

With a smile,
Juanita Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=517515
Everybody wants something to happen for them and we all want something to happen for us. But fate will decide who gets to win and who gets to loose. I draw this from the exampl of the lion and antelope.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=489094
I didn't understand the first topic on page 4: "You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than find happiness through achieving goals and fulfilling desires."

I find that those who set goals for their lives can find happiness once that goal is achieved. For example, it may be someone's life goal to get their PHD, and once that is achieved, they can move forward with that degree. That doesn't mean they need to get another PHD but enjoy the one they have. Another example is someone could want six children (me), and once they achieve that goal, they do not need to set another baby goal. My parents were very simple people. My dad wanted to own his house when I was small, and once he did that, his goal was fulfilled. He didn't ever buy another house or set another goal. People can be happy once a goal is fulfilled.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: January 19th, 2023, 3:04 pm This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.

Important Note: Before posting in this topic, please do make sure you have looked up any words or phrases with which you aren't familiar in the dictionary and/or encyclopedia. You can do this in seconds online using your preferred search engine (e.g. Google or DuckDuckGo).

Do you feel you understood every sentence in the book, In It Together? In other words, do you feel you understand what the author (me) meant by every single sentence in the book?

If not, please quote the very first sentence or very first paragraph you do not understand. Then I will do my best to explain and clarify what I meant by it.

The book is written in a certain order, with later ideas building off earlier ones. Like a train going off the track, one point of misunderstanding or disagreement early in the book can (sometimes) lead to and cause many others later that will become clarified once that earliest point of misunderstanding is clarified.

If you don't remember what the first sentence you didn't understand was, then I strongly encourage you to re-read the book and highlight any sentences you don't understand, and then post the first one here as soon as you can.

Even though I am only asking for the first one, once I have clarified that one you can post the next one. And we can go through each one you don't understand one at a time in that way, until you are confident you understand every single sentence in the book. :)

When replying, please provide your best guess(es) about what you think the sentence probably means. Then, from there, I can let you know which of your guesses (if you have more than one) is correct or closest to correct and/or I can then, based on your guess(es), know what was missed or misunderstood to then know how to clarify it for you.

The book is available for purchase from all major book retailers in both ebook and hardcover format.
Hi, although the book is beautifully written, I struggle to get the conclusion of inner peace in general. The writing is not straight forward and I personally struggled to keep my attention when reading the book because of the immense detail. That is why I am so glad this forum is available.

My quotes will most likely be about inner peace in general as I do not quite grasp the whole picture of what you were trying to say in the book.

The following is my first quote "If you feel a battle between your so-called higher self and so-called lower self, I ask you to stop fighting the so-called lower self and embrace the so-called lower self, but more than that to realize that even to call something the 'higher' or 'lower' self is to draw a battle line and start a fight, to needlessly attack your own shadow and bitterly chase your own tail."

Like I said I struggled to keep my attention in the book. Although many things were relatable and interesting. I still struggled to grasp many things and I hope you will not think worse of me because of it.

It speaks of self-hate, ego and fighting oneself. Does the high and low represent the bad or the good part of one self? Can you maybe explain to me what the high and low part actually is?
Thanks, Scott.

To my not understanding a sentence in your book, You replied the following:

1. You need not believe in god, meaning you don't need to believe in god.

2. You can do your best at anything.

3. You can do your best to see the world from a god's eyes, meaning from a god's eye view.

Do you understand sentence #1 above? Do you understand sentence #2 above? Do you understand sentence #3?

Do you understand all three numbered sentences above? If not, which is the first of the three above that you don't understand? [/i][/i]

I really don't understand # 1. As a Christian, believing in God is what has changed my whole life for the better, and without Him, everything was not life at its fullest. Having being created in the likeness of God motivates me every day: His Word in the Bible lights all darkness.

I hope you can help clarify,

Moises
Hello, Scott. Please could you elaborate on the paragraph
"Without the warmth of true consciousness, even apparent altruism would be nothing more than a cold superficial approximated falsehood unconsciously emerging from fundamental selfish cancer-like cyclical process and feedback loops, runaway aspects of natural selection, such as selfish genes causing the host to kill itself to perpetuate the genome"
Thank you!
That is not a reference to some kind of philosophical metaphysical dualism. Rather, the truths in this book are agreeable to metaphysical dualists and monists alike. One could even argue that the differences between most forms of dualism and monism are merely semantics. In fact, some philosophers argue that all philosophy is just word games.
In It Together (Page 4) wrote: Some would call it, simply, the human condition.

If the word “suffering” simply means having unfulfilled desire, then to be human is to suffer. That is because when one fulfills their current desires, more desires emerge. When one reaches their current goals, their mind creates new ones. “To live is to suffer,” as Nietzsche put it. You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than find happiness through achieving goals and fulfilling desires, be they for money, fame, sex, procreation, or whatever. There is always more money to make or more fame to achieve. It is a constant, endless chain of desire. If you get this then you will want that, and if you get that then you will want this, or something else, something more. You cannot eliminate desire by fulfilling desire. Fulfillment causes desire and goals to be replaced, not eliminated. You cannot achieve a state of goallessness by achieving goals. So long as you live as a human, you will have unfulfilled desires and unachieved goals, as the human body and mind will always want more and will invariably create new goals once old goals have been achieved. To be alive is in part to be at war and to struggle.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson wrote: June 19th, 2024, 3:05 pm I didn't understand the first topic on page 4: "You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than find happiness through achieving goals and fulfilling desires."

I find that those who set goals for their lives can find happiness once that goal is achieved. For example, it may be someone's life goal to get their PHD, and once that is achieved, they can move forward with that degree. That doesn't mean they need to get another PHD but enjoy the one they have. Another example is someone could want six children (me), and once they achieve that goal, they do not need to set another baby goal. My parents were very simple people. My dad wanted to own his house when I was small, and once he did that, his goal was fulfilled. He didn't ever buy another house or set another goal. People can be happy once a goal is fulfilled.

Hi, Penny Ann Criswell Johnson,

Thank you for your reply. I have some questions about your alleged counter-examples:

How long did your father live without having any goals at all?

Was he diagnosed with clinical depression?

Often when someone appears to have absolutely no goals or desires (e.g. they just lay around doing nothing because they seem to have no goals or desires) they would be diagnosed with clinical depression.

After he stopped having goals and desires, did he starve to death?

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream