Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
By thrasymachus
Consul wrote
"Philosophers who give great weight to intuitions need to offer some account of why such intuitions are reliable and are to be trusted; at least, they need to sketch how we would have acquired a reliable capacity of this sort. Descartes based his confidence in thought processes that involve 'clear and distinct ideas' upon the existence of a good God who would not deceive him. Upon what do contemporary philosophers of intuition base their claims? Of course, if the purpose of such philosophy is merely to codify and systematize the intuitions that (for whatever reason) are held, then a philosophy built upon intuitions will need no further basis. And it will have no further validity."
Philosophy built on intuitions? This sounds like Husserl, but I am sure that is not what Nozick had in mind; though he hovers around this.

One would have to isolate the intuition from the cognitive claim on it in order to make an affirmation. Does analysis of an intuition, something even as strong as say, causality, ever yield an intuition as such? Or isn't it that an intuition is already inextricable bound to an historical knowledge claim, and the best one can do is deal with paradigms just like empirical science does?

No, it is not intuition. It is hermeneutics. This is the bottom line....with the only exception being meta-ethics/meta-value/metaaesthetics (Wittgenstein agrees in his Tractatus. One cannot speak an intuition).
By The Beast
I am only aware of an incomplete debate. An example of such will be whether gender is psychological, biological, or semantical. Claims like one of: “we never went to the moon” that gets revisited every year without any form or proofs of previous debates and with new inflows of scholars. Imagine the amount of reading required in the exposition of a counterclaim like: how much fuel was employed in the lunar vehicle? How about “the stolen election” Do we have access to the library of debates? Do they update? IMO A meta-arbiter is an institution presenting conclusions by percentages with the corresponding Q’s and A’s. A format like: Did Paul knew Jesus? (Paul being the first heretic). The answer is 100% no. He did not meet Jesus. Is Paul a Jesus’s follower? A: 100% Paul is a Jesus’s follower. Where is the proof? A meta-arbiter will have links to it for it and against it as well as those skeptics in missing, destroy, and corrupted proof. In all, the corresponding assignment of strong or weak paradigm… not a chance.
By Pattern-chaser
DustinM wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:13 pm I disagree. We can logically say one source of knowledge is more authoritative than another source without creating an infinte daisy chain of 'meta-arbiters.'
You are free to disagree, of course. But your disagreement makes no sense to me. It seems to me that "we can logically say one source of knowledge is more authoritative than another source", and that this will create a "daisy chain of 'meta-arbiters". 🤔🤔🤔
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
By thrasymachus
I am only aware of an incomplete debate. An example of such will be whether gender is psychological, biological, or semantical. Claims like one of: “we never went to the moon” that gets revisited every year without any form or proofs of previous debates and with new inflows of scholars. Imagine the amount of reading required in the exposition of a counterclaim like: how much fuel was employed in the lunar vehicle? How about “the stolen election” Do we have access to the library of debates? Do they update? IMO A meta-arbiter is an institution presenting conclusions by percentages with the corresponding Q’s and A’s. A format like: Did Paul knew Jesus? (Paul being the first heretic). The answer is 100% no. He did not meet Jesus. Is Paul a Jesus’s follower? A: 100% Paul is a Jesus’s follower. Where is the proof? A meta-arbiter will have links to it for it and against it as well as those skeptics in missing, destroy, and corrupted proof. In all, the corresponding assignment of strong or weak paradigm… not a chance.
But you deal here with mundane matters that are easily corrupted. Epistemology looking for a foundation, or, some top "tier" that subsumes all other knowledge claims, will not find it here. One wants an absolute! And from there establish an epistemology.

What is there, the question asks, that can be called epistemically absolute? From there one can move to ontology. But alas, if there is such an absolute, and I think there is, it is a difficult move from this to the kinds of problems you outline. The best one can hope for is a clearing away of the clutter of thought in order to align with this absolute.
By thrasymachus
Pattern-chaser wrote
You are free to disagree, of course. But your disagreement makes no sense to me. It seems to me that "we can logically say one source of knowledge is more authoritative than another source", and that this will create a "daisy chain of 'meta-arbiters"
Unless, that is, you can discover a terminus at which all chains stop. Logic has its apriority. The world has its causality. But the language we use to say such things leads to more daisy chains (Derrida). Is there nothing that works here? Something in the world, not abstract, that has the same authority of Moses' tablets, but without Yahweh's anthropomorphized agency of issuance?
By LuckyR
This thread reminds me of advice I was given very early in my professional career. Which was as a generalist (relatively inexpert in particular areas) when choosing an "expert" to consult on cases, choose the expert who you suspect will give the opinion/advice that you (as the non-expert) believe is most appropriate.

Who's the expert now?
By DustinM
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:22 pmYou are free to disagree, of course. But your disagreement makes no sense to me. It seems to me that "we can logically say one source of knowledge is more authoritative than another source", and that this will create a "daisy chain of 'meta-arbiters". 🤔🤔🤔
In a purely theoretical sense, yes, it would lead to an infinite regression daisy chain, but that's not how it works in practice. Take the US legal system for example. It's generally agreed upon that the constitution, as interpreted by the Supreme Court, is the meta-arbiter of legal disagreements. We can have philosophical discussions about where the authority of the constitution comes from, but that doesn't stop us from saying the document is more authoritative than state law.
By Consul
thrasymachus wrote: March 29th, 2023, 11:06 amPhilosophy built on intuitions? This sounds like Husserl, but I am sure that is not what Nozick had in mind; though he hovers around this.

One would have to isolate the intuition from the cognitive claim on it in order to make an affirmation. Does analysis of an intuition, something even as strong as say, causality, ever yield an intuition as such? Or isn't it that an intuition is already inextricable bound to an historical knowledge claim, and the best one can do is deal with paradigms just like empirical science does?

No, it is not intuition. It is hermeneutics. This is the bottom line....with the only exception being meta-ethics/meta-value/metaaesthetics (Wittgenstein agrees in his Tractatus. One cannot speak an intuition).
You'll find my reply in that thread: viewtopic.php?p=439003#p439003
By Pattern-chaser
thrasymachus wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:16 pm Is there nothing that works here? Something in the world, not abstract, that has the same authority of Moses' tablets, but without Yahweh's anthropomorphized agency of issuance?
My guess: no to both questions.
By thrasymachus

Pattern-chaser wrote
My guess: no to both questions.
And you would have a great deal of support in this. There is no non propositional knowledge, is how it is often put. But what does one do with affective qualia? And by this, I refer to pain and suffering, bliss and misery, and so on.
By Pattern-chaser
thrasymachus wrote: March 30th, 2023, 10:17 am But what does one do with affective qualia? And by this, I refer to pain and suffering, bliss and misery, and so on.
Humans have wrestled with this question ... forever? We have found some answers, that some people find useful...?
By thrasymachus
Pattern-chaser wrote
Humans have wrestled with this question ... forever? We have found some answers, that some people find useful...?
What humans? Hope you don't mean the constant bickering going on in a philosophy club. People come here to argue, that is, wrestle.

Twentieth century philosophical thinking is all based on this notion of a new beginning because there is so much metaphysical clutter. Such is the freedom of thought.

One such thinker is Husserl, who is, I believe, extraordinary. Here is a kind of mission statement from his Cartesian Meditations:

First, anyone who seriously intends to become a philosopher
must "once in his life" withdraw into himself and
attempt,
within himself, to overthrow and build anew all the sciences
that, up to then, he has been accepting. Philosophy wisdom
(sagesse) is the philosophizer's quite personal affair. It must
arise as Ms wisdom, as his self-acquired knowledge tending
toward
universality, a knowledge for which he can answer from
the beginning, and at each step, by virtue of his own absolute
insights. If I have decided to live with this as my aim the
decision that alone can start me on the course of a
philosophical
development I have thereby chosen to begin in absolute
poverty, with an absolute lack of knowledge.

Reading through Husserl's "Meditations", his "Ideas" and other works do not really presuppose any other reading. It really does depend on what one is looking for. Modern analytic philosophy is inherently disputatious at its core. I mean, this is what professional philosophers do in this vein. They are committed to clutter and wrestling.

Hard to break free of this, of course. Arguing is, after all, fun. But disingenuous.
By DustinM
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 30th, 2023, 10:50 am Humans have wrestled with this question ... forever? We have found some answers, that some people find useful...?
I'm not talking about human epistemology as a whole. I'm talking about epistemology for specific fields of study.
By Thomyum2
DustinM wrote: March 27th, 2023, 6:21 pm I'm trying to formulate an idea of epistemology and I would like to see if it stands up to scrutiny. Imagine you have three sources of authority in your model of epistemology, A, B and C. Sometimes those sources disagree or contradict each other, so you use another source, which we'll call D, to adjudicate the disagreement and decide which one is correct. Given that type of scenario, would it be logically sound to say D has a higher tier of authority than A, B, and C?

Assuming that's true, a simplified secular epistemology might look like this:
1. Reason

2. Intuition, sense data, outcomes, authority figures (doctors, scientists, etc.)
And a simplified religious epistemology might look like this:
1. The Bible

2. Intuition, outcomes, authority figures (pastor, theologian), sense data
Regardless of what you put in the #1 slot, there must be only one authority source in that slot because it there were two authorities there, they might disagree, which would require another higher authority to adjudicate the disagreement.

Does that make sense?
This is an interesting discussion you've started here, but I think you might be going down the wrong track by basing an epistemology on a ranking of the authority of sources. In my mind, it raises the question of where does a source gain its authority in the first place? I would point out that a source only has authority if it is known to produce information of quality. In other words, authority is something that is earned - it isn't inherent. After all, a well that produces bad water or runs dry will cease to be a source. A source of knowledge keeps or loses its status as an authority based solely on its history of and reputation for providing good information.

I might suggest looking at the question from a little different angle. I’m reminded of William James’ insight here, which he summarized in saying that "the true is the name of whatever proves itself to be good in the way of belief, and good, too, for definite, assignable reasons." The final arbiter isn’t an authority – it’s whether or not the knowledge lives up to this standard when put to use.

So a secular epistemology, as I see it, would use as its ‘assignable reasons’ the evidence of the material world. In other words, is that knowledge (regardless of its source) accurate and useful in describing the facts or predicting the events that we will encounter in the world?

A religious epistemology is certainly a little more difficult to pin down since it deals with the ‘unseen’ rather than the sensible, including things such as morality, spirituality and meaning which aren’t empirically measurable. But I think the same standard would still have to apply – that the knowledge “prove itself to be good in the way of belief.” I’d offer that the Bible, for example, is held to be an authority simply because it has fulfilled that standard - by bringing about a deeper spirituality, or closer relationship with God, or whatever the case may be - for many of the Christians who have believed in it and put that to use in their lives over the years, and not because it is an authority that must be recognized as such a priori.

A thought-provoking topic, I look forward to following it.
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James
By DustinM
Thomyum2 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:06 pmI’d offer that the Bible, for example, is held to be an authority simply because it has fulfilled that standard - by bringing about a deeper spirituality, or closer relationship with God, or whatever the case may be - for many of the Christians who have believed in it and put that to use in their lives over the years, and not because it is an authority that must be recognized as such a priori.

A thought-provoking topic, I look forward to following it.
Are you familiar with the epistemology of the Mormon church? I'm not Mormon, but I'm in a debate with one of their apologists about this topic. The apologist is arguing we can know the mind and will of God by following 5 epistemological 'witnesses': Intuition (spiritual experiences), Sense Data, Reason, Moral Outcomes, and Authority (religious leaders, the Bible, etc.). He says intuition is the root of knowledge in that model and the other four witnesses grow from that root, but none of the witnesses trump any of the other witnesses.

In short, I'm arguing that model has many problems, a primary one being the fact that it is heavily reliant on our own perception, logic, and ability to balance and properly apply the witnesses. If God does exist, it seems to make more sense to follow him by focusing on his word rather than focusing on ourselves.

If you're interested in that debate, I'm making my arguments in a 5-part video series.

1. My response to the Collective Witness Model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRd-YkJh0oY
2. My response to how they use scripture to support the model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5gEEvzXX_o
3. The Tiers of Authority video will go live this Saturday
4. The following Saturday will be my response to philosophical analogies that came up in my conversation with a Mormon philosophy professor.
5. The final video will be a few direct questions that summarize the topic.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream