Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

Was the killing of German Jews consensual?

No, the killing of German Jews was not consensual. (In other words, it was murder.)
100%
Yes, the killing of German Jews was consensual. (In other words, the Jews consented to being killed. It was merely consensual, assisted suicide.)
No votes
0%
Some Background Facts:

Jews in Germany had the right to vote before Hitler came to power. The Weimar Republic, which existed from 1919 to 1933, was a democratic state where Jews, like other citizens, had voting rights and were able to participate in the electoral process. Many of the Jews who were killed in the Holocaust were German citizens.

With those facts in mind, among any others, do you believe the killing of German Jews during the Holocaust was consensual?

In other words, was it (1) murder or was it merely (2) consensual, assisted suicide?

For those who agree with me that taxation is theft and, more specifically, that taxation is violent robbery, this new question about the Holocaust has an infinitely easy obvious answer. For those like me who agree that taxation is obviously not consensual, then it is clear that likewise the killing of Jews during the holocaust was also likewise obviously not consensual. To us, it is clear that even though the killing of the Jews was legal it was still not consensual and was thus still murder rather than merely consensual assisted suicide.

However, those people who somehow believe that taxation is somehow consensual presumably thus also must believe that the German Jews killed in the Holocaust somehow consented to being killed, meaning the killing wasn't non-consensual murder but rather consensual assisted suicide.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

MLK-never-forget.jpg
MLK-never-forget.jpg (86.38 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The Holocaust was a genocide, a systematic murder of six million Jews and millions of others by the Nazis. To imply that the victims consented to their own murder is not only deeply offensive but also a gross distortion of history. The Holocaust was an atrocity, not an "assisted suicide."
Sushan wrote: August 27th, 2024, 10:04 pm The Holocaust was a genocide, a systematic murder of six million Jews and millions of others by the Nazis. To imply that the victims consented to their own murder is not only deeply offensive but also a gross distortion of history. The Holocaust was an atrocity, not an "assisted suicide."
I agree 100%.
The killing of the Jews was not consensual. The German jews had the right to vote like other German citizens and they voted for whomever they voted for. However, their votes cannot be construed as consent to being murdered any more than other Germans who voted consented to being murdered to be murdered. It was a vote for who they wanted to be in government not for being murdered. And I don't think we can equate taxation with mass murder. They are entirely different issues and the reasons behind taxation and mass murder are totally different.
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche Location: Antipodes
Again, don't confuse action and outcome. They are not identical. The ACTION of exercising the right to vote does not equate to any potential OUTCOME associated with that vote.

If you consent to the action of surgery, you agree you have been warned about negative surgical complications including the outcome of death, BUT that's NOT equivalent to consenting to being killed.
I think that's right. Voting for a government is not consent to a governemnt doing anything it likes. If in a referendum the German people had been asked to vote on the question of whether they consented to being murdered, then I think we know what the answer would be. At the election which led Hindenberg to appoint the NAZIs to power, the question of whether the people consented to being murdered en mass was not asked of them. There was no consent explicit or implicit.
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche Location: Antipodes
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: August 27th, 2024, 8:34 pm [...]
In some countries, even to ask the question that is the title of this topic, is illegal. [Such laws were passed to prevent Holocaust Deniers from spreading their poison.]
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
Surabhi Rani wrote: August 27th, 2024, 11:44 pm The Jews in Germany belonged to a democratic state. They had the right to vote. [...] The killing of the German Jews during the Holocaust was not consensual. It was murder.
I agree 100%.

Thank you for your reply!
Lagayscienza wrote: August 28th, 2024, 3:01 am The killing of the Jews was not consensual. The German jews had the right to vote like other German citizens and they voted for whomever they voted for. However, their votes cannot be construed as consent
I agree.

Thank you for your reply!
LuckyR wrote: August 28th, 2024, 3:26 am Again, don't confuse action and outcome. They are not identical. The ACTION of exercising the right to vote does not equate to any potential OUTCOME associated with that vote.

If you consent to the action of surgery, you agree you have been warned about negative surgical complications including the outcome of death, BUT that's NOT equivalent to consenting to being killed.
LuckyR, you didn't answer the question. Please answer the question:

Do you believe the killing of German Jews during the Holocaust was consensual?

martin-luther-king-never-forget.png
martin-luther-king-never-forget.png (396.56 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Lagayscienza wrote: August 28th, 2024, 3:40 am If in a referendum the German people had been asked to vote on the question of whether they consented to being murdered, then I think we know what the answer would be.
You merely think you know the answer? Surely, you can research it to become sure. Popular opinions in Germany during that time are no mystery.

The majority of German citizens would have voted to continue with the labor camps and killing of Jews, for the same reason they voted Hitler into power in the first place.

Hitler's administration and its doings were very popular in Nazi Germany, even moreso after his election. Nazi Germany is the epitome of democracy.

That is, of course, if we limit our examples only to real life. Otherwise, the epitome is two wolves and one sheep deciding what to have for dinner.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 28th, 2024, 8:06 am In some countries, even to ask the question that is the title of this topic, is illegal.
How horribly and sadly ironic. I can only imagine living somewhere so authoritarian, tyrannical, and Nazi-like that one could be legally violently attacked by their government and violently thrown in a cage just for doing what we are doing here on these Philosophy Forums, especially someone like me who is one of if not the absolute most peaceful person on the entire forum. Me being a person who consistently advocates for peace, perhaps more firmly, clearly, and consistently than anyone else on these forums.

Of course, I would be far from the first peaceful person in the history of the world to be thrown in prison (or executed) by their government just for advocating for peace (e.g. criticizing the government for committing acts of non-defensive non-consensual violence).

However, this topic is not about the issue of free speech and of pacifists and other peace advocates being throw in prison or executed just for peacefully advocated for peace. So I instead invite you to discuss that other topic that you have brought up in these other threads intead:

Peace, love, and truth ultimately thrive under the light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion

Orwellian Agent-Smithism | How Control Freaks, God Complexes, And Violent Nanny Statism Attack Freedom and Diversity

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 28th, 2024, 8:06 am In some countries, even to ask the question that is the title of this topic, is illegal.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: August 28th, 2024, 9:39 am How horribly and sadly ironic. I can only imagine living somewhere so authoritarian, tyrannical, and Nazi-like that one could be legally violently attacked by their government and violently thrown in a cage just for doing what we are doing here on these Philosophy Forums, especially someone like me who is one of if not the absolute most peaceful person on the entire forum. Me being a person who consistently advocates for peace, perhaps more firmly, clearly, and consistently than anyone else on these forums.
Where there is strong consensus approval, say 95%, isn't it the duty of our elected government to pass and enforce such a law? That doesn't look like an imposition...?

Also, I think there are some questions that shouldn't be asked. Not because they are taboo, but because they have no purpose or use. For example:

Are all Americans pædophiles?

Should Libertarians be crucified or impaled?

I think such questions are insults, petty nastiness, disguised as something else? I'm not sure. But I really can't see why anyone would want to ask such questions as I have written above.
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
Hi, Pattern-chaser,

Thank you for your reply! :)

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: August 28th, 2024, 9:39 am How horribly and sadly ironic. I can only imagine living somewhere so authoritarian, tyrannical, and Nazi-like that one could be legally violently attacked by their government and violently thrown in a cage just for doing what we are doing here on these Philosophy Forums, especially someone like me who is one of if not the absolute most peaceful person on the entire forum. Me being a person who consistently advocates for peace, perhaps more firmly, clearly, and consistently than anyone else on these forums.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 28th, 2024, 12:42 pm isn't it the duty of our [...]

Also, I think there are some questions that shouldn't be asked.

[Color and emphasis added.]
I don't believe in 'duties' or 'shoulds'.

For more on that, please see:

Topics about the dangerous superstition of 'shoulds' and 'oughts' and other resentful, moralizing judgementalism

As for the topic of free speech, that can be discussed in the following forum topics:

Peace, love, and truth ultimately thrive under the light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion

Orwellian Agent-Smithism | How Control Freaks, God Complexes, And Violent Nanny Statism Attack Freedom and Diversity

If you want to continue to post in this topic, please do make sure to say on topic. The topic of this topic is, "Was the killing of German Jews during the Holocaust consensual?"

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream