Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
If you haven't already, you can sign up to be personally mentored by Scott "Eckhart Aurelius" Hughes at this link.

Hi, Stephanie Walker 11,

Thank you for your question! :)

Stephanie Walker 11 wrote: July 29th, 2024, 4:57 am How can someone who has everything stop the urge to go for more and feel satisfied?
They can't.

I believe my book, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All, is very clear about that fact.

As it says right on Page 4:

In It Together (Page 4) wrote:If the word “suffering” simply means having unfulfilled desire, then to be human is to suffer. That is because when one fulfills their current desires, more desires emerge. When one reaches their current goals, their mind creates new ones. “To live is to suffer,” as Nietzsche put it. You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than find happiness through achieving goals and fulfilling desires, be they for money, fame, sex, procreation, or whatever. There is always more money to make or more fame to achieve. It is a constant, endless chain of desire. If you get this then you will want that, and if you get that then you will want this, or something else, something more. You cannot eliminate desire by fulfilling desire. Fulfillment causes desire and goals to be replaced, not eliminated. You cannot achieve a state of goallessness by achieving goals. So long as you live as a human, you will have unfulfilled desires and unachieved goals, as the human body and mind will always want more and will invariably create new goals once old goals have been achieved. To be alive is in part to be at war and to struggle.

My advice: Imagine Sisyphus happy.

Stop resisting the state of having endless desires. Stop fighting to eliminate the urge for more.

Fully and lovingly accept your human insatiability.

When Sisyphus learns to love pushing the boulder up the mountain, then his eternity of doing so is revealed as an endless eternal heaven rather than a hell.

Be happy going for more, endlessly. Be happy with the endless pursuit. Love the endless journey.

Find invincible heavenly inner peace by learning to love the endless outer war, learning to love the endless outer journey, learning to love the eternal endless hedonic treadmill, learning to love the endless chain of desires, and learning to love the state of having unfulfilled desires.

Learn to love what most people call "suffering" (i.e. the state of having unfulfilled desires and unachieved goals) because, either way, you will always be in that state and only in that state.

That is, at least, so long as you are alive, meaning so long as you are a living agent. It's what it means to be a living agent. It's what it means to be alive.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Be happy.png
Be happy.png (763.95 KiB) Viewed 8630 times

In addition to having authored his book, In It Together, Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (a.k.a. Scott) runs a mentoring program, with a free option, that guarantees success. Success is guaranteed for anyone who follows the program.
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
If you haven't already, you can sign up to be personally mentored by Scott "Eckhart Aurelius" Hughes at this link.

Hi, Nisha DSouza,

Nisha DSouza wrote: August 4th, 2024, 9:52 am Hi Scott,

Post delivery, after months of not losing weight my gynecologist advised me to have myself tested. It turned out my thyroid levels were way out of the normal range and I was put on medication to control Hypothyroidism. After years of struggling with weight issues, I finally managed to control my diet and in little over a year I have lost a little over 10 kgs/22 pounds. I am glad to say that I'm at my ideal weight according to my height. Now my main focus area is my tummy. Can you suggest some exercises (preferably ones that don't put a strain on the neck) to lose my stomach fat?

P.S. Currently, I lead a sedentary lifestyle with the only exercise time scheduled at about 40 minutes/day for a frozen shoulder.
The short answer is, no, you cannot lose fat in targeted areas, at least not without surgery or some similar medical procedure.

My understanding, based on the currently available science, is that targeted fat loss is generally impossible. When you lose fat, you can't control where it comes off, at least not via specific exercises. It comes off everywhere in your body at once, and the exact proportions are determined by genetics and hormones.

In contrast, with infinite ease, you can 100% control whether or not you (1) lose fat, (2) gain fat, or (3) keep roughly the same amount of fat.

You won't lose fat in any area if you aren't losing fat at all.

In other words, you can't redistribute the fat. To keep the same amount of fat total but lose fat in your belly would require moving the fat from your belly to a different part of your body, meaning a different part of your body would have to be getting fatter while your belly is getting less fat, which is kind of absurd, at least without surgery. Either your whole body is getting slimmer, including your belly, or your whole body is getting fatter, including your belly, or your whole body is maintaining its current amount of fat. Except for surgery, you won't be able to intentionally move the fat from one part of your body to another.

However, what you can do is tighten your stomach despite keeping the same amount of fat there. Namely, that would be by strengthening and even growing your abdominal muscles. You wouldn't be losing any fat at all, not in your stomach or otherwise, but you would still be tightening and toning your midsection. You are tightening and toning the muscles, not the fat.

Likewise, you can improve your posture in a way that makes your midsection much smaller and tighter, and healthier.

If you flex your abs and tuck your butt, you can instantly take off an inch or more from your midsection. Analogous to how someone who constantly slouches in an unhealthy way can instantly get an inch or two taller simply by standing up straight and improving their posture, with consistent exercise, you can make that effect more permanent. Part of that is simply strengthening the muscles involved so they can hold that posture longer before getting exhausted and giving up. Another part of it is simply building the habit of holding that posture day in and day out. In both cases, I think the best way to do that is to do it: Any time you spend consciously holding that posture, both (1) builds the habit of doing that even when you aren't consciously thinking about it, and (2) acts as an exercise that strengthens the muscles involved.

Thank you,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

lose body fat.png
lose body fat.png (746.59 KiB) Viewed 5139 times

In addition to having authored his book, In It Together, Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (a.k.a. Scott) runs a mentoring program, with a free option, that guarantees success. Success is guaranteed for anyone who follows the program.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: August 12th, 2024, 3:33 am
The short answer is, no, you cannot lose fat in targeted areas, at least not without surgery or some similar medical procedure.
Hi Scott,

I never knew this; I always thought you could do specific exercises for specific parts of the body and lose fat from that part. Thank you so much for letting me know that's not how it works and for your helpful advice. :)
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=507057

byrondsouza wrote: July 17th, 2024, 2:34 am I have started a new business of wood carving figurines and more. It falls in the niche category and I have done a few sales here in India but I have a feeling that this might do well in the international market so I have already set up the business.
Question: What do I do, to scale up and get more customers from outside, maybe the US and UK? Also, I do plan to read the book "Niching up" in the near future but in the meantime, I just had this question.
Hi, byrondsouza,

I have some questions for you to help better understand the nature of your question:

1. What do you mean exactly when you say you have done "few sales"?

2. Why have you only had a "few sales" so far? Why haven't you had more than a few? Why haven't you had many?

3. Without hiring anyone new or making major changes to your business, what is your current capacity? For instance, how many could you sell per month, either as a total number of figurines/items or as a total dollar figure in revenue?

4. How close are you currently to maxing out that capacity? For example, if you could at most make 100 figurines per month and are currently only selling 3 per month, then you are only using 3% of your capacity.

There is a big difference between the following two things:

(a) Increasing your number of customers to utilize more of your current capacity

vs

(b) increasing your capacity

An example of the latter one, i.e. (b), would be if you owned a restaurant and it was doing really well, so you opened another restaurant of the same name serving the same menu on the other side of the same city, or you paid a contractor to literally expand the one restaurant to build more rooms so you could fit more tables and stoves and such in it.

In general, my advice is usually to not start getting involved in (b) until after you start to reach a ceiling with (a). In other words, until you start to be actually limited by your current capacity (meaning until you actually start hitting your current capacity at least occasionally), don't start working on or investing in growing your capacity, let alone working on or investing in exponentially growing your capacity.

For example, if you own a restaurant with 100 tables and you never ever have more being used at a time, and thus you never ever have any wait outside the restaurant at all, then it doesn't make sense to pay to have more space added to the restaurant or buy another location. This common-sense concept doesn't apply just to business but even to personal finance. If you buy a gallon of milk each week, and only drink half of it each week and throw the rest away, then it doesn't make sense to suddenly start 'scaling up' and buying two gallons of milk a week. If you aren't using the capacity you have, then it wouldn't make sense to invest in the cost of increasing your capacity.

Typically, adding new regional markets to your business is a case of increasing capacity. It's like opening another restaurant on another side of the same city or another restaurant of the same brand in a different city. Or, in your case, it could be adding international shipping and creating alternate versions of your ads and sales page for different locations/languages/cultures/currencies.

But such things tend to not be a case of 'if you build it, they will come'.

If you have a restaurant that never has a wait and always has empty tables, buying even more tables to put in your restaurant or building another restaurant of the same name with the same menu in a different city to double your capacity won't increase your sales significantly but rather will just cut your capacity utilization in half.

Let me make that more clear and quotable by saying it like this: Increasing your capacity does not increase your sales; it decreases your capacity utilization.

If you have a restaurant that is only ever half-filled at most, then you could say your capacity utilization is 50%. If you double how many tables you have in the restaurant or open up another branch of the same size on the other side of town, that will reduce your capacity utilization to only 25%. That will increase your costs without increasing your revenue.

Increasing capacity is typically a good thing if you are already currently maxing out or nearly maxing out your current capacity. Otherwise, it's usually a terrible awful counter-productive expense.

If you aren't selling well in India, where neither you nor your buyers have to pay international shipping and deal with customs and all those expensive and inconvenient obstacles, then it's probably not time to invest in expanding to other markets. That would be the equivalent of doubling your costs (e.g. rent, labor, electricity, etc.) by opening up a carbon copy of your restaurant on the other side of the city to double your capacity when your current restaurant never even has a wait. You won't make any more revenue, but your costs would be doubled. Why increase your capacity if you aren't using your capacity?

Keep in mind that India has over a billion people, including over 800,000 millionaires. That's millionaires in USD, not the local currency.

Even if your figurines/products/services were so luxurious and expensive that typically they would only ever be bought by a millionaire (i.e. someone whose net worth is over $1,000,000 USD), I'd still ask: What percentage of those 800,000 millionaires in India have bought at least one of your figurines? How many are repeat customers?

If your target buyer is not a millionaire but instead someone with a more common income and net wealth, then the numbers get even more in your favor in terms of India probably being the best place for you to sell for now.

If you can't sell it well where there are no international shipping charges and such, you aren't going to sell well where there are.

Make a tiny niche business that actually works extremely well on a small scale (i.e. that maxes out its capacity at that scale, which for you is local to India) before scaling up. Don't open a second restaurant until your first one is doing well and has 100% of the tables sat with a wait in the front.

If you told me you had a product that only millionaires would buy and that you had sold 8,000 of these things in India, which would mean 1% (and only 1%) of the millionaires bought it already, but now your sales are starting to plateau or even lower a bit, which would indicate you have saturated that market already, then it might be time or a good idea to expand. But to reiterate one of my questions from the start of this post: what percentage of people in your target market in India, which presumably includes a lot more than merely the 800,000 millionaires in India, have bought your product so far? 10%? 2%? 1%? 0.1%? 0.000001%? Why haven't the rest bought it? Why haven't more bought it?

Those aren't rhetorical questions. I'm genuinely asking so I can understand your situation better and provide advice.

But presumably, once I got the details, my answer would be to focus on increasing your sales in India, and if that doesn't work, then eventually the next step would be to say the market has spoken rather than to expand.

If the market does speak, and what the market says is that it just is not a viable scalable business, then you have the option of (1) closing up shop or (2) just re-classifying what you are doing as a hobby, not a business.

And sometimes not being able to make a beloved hobby into a full-fledged profitable business is a blessing. That's because often the best way to fall out of love with a hobby or even start to resent it is to turn it into a business. Sometimes we ruin play by turning it into a job. If you love cooking, opening a restaurant could be a ticket to learning to resent the kitchen rather than love it.

Are you in it for the money? If not, then maybe the best blessing and stroke of luck you might encounter will be the market speaking and saying, "No matter how much you push to ruin this beloved hobby by turning it into a stressful money-focused boring business, it won't work. You will only ever be doing this thing out of love for the activity, and you will never get paid well for it."

I'm not saying that to you. I'm saying that maybe the market will say that to you, and maybe it won't. And if it does say that to you, it will actually presumably be a great blessing, even if it seems disguised at that time.

But the market doesn't answer unless you ask, and you can only ask it with actions, not words. So to get the answer from the market, you would need to truly test your product/business and truly ask the market by doing your absolute best to sell much more than a 'few' of your products in India. Then the market will tell you whether you need to expand or convert it back into a hobby. When you do it right in business, it kind of stops being a choice. The market tells you what to do by basically forcing it. Businesses don't choose to close up shop; the market puts them out of business; it forces them to close with unpayable debts and unaffordable costs and such. Businesses don't really choose to expand so much as getting forced to by the market. You have a line out the door of your restaurant every night with people begging for a table and waiting hours to sit down. They stand there with their money in their hands practically begging to pay you to make them food, only to be told, "Sorry, we are all booked up tonight. We can't take your money. We can't let you buy from us because we are once again at 100% capacity. Overcapacity really."

When you start getting would-be customers who are mad at you because they can't buy from you, then it's probably time to expand. In the case of a restaurant, that might mean building a second floor or buying a second building on the other side of town; in your case, it would mean allowing international shipping and taking on the expensive upfront investment of the development of the logistics to properly serve international customers.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

expand business globally.png
expand business globally.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1790 times

David awunor wrote: August 18th, 2024, 10:37 am Hey Aurelius, what is your biggest regret in life currently and why is it your biggest regret?
Hi, David awunor,

A similar question was already asked and answered earlier in the Q&A:

What in your past do you wish you could change?

Moving forward, please do make sure to read all the previous Q&As before asking a new question to make sure the question hasn't already been asked and answered.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: August 14th, 2024, 4:04 pm If you haven't already, you can sign up to be personally mentored by Scott "Eckhart Aurelius" Hughes at this link.

byrondsouza wrote: July 17th, 2024, 2:34 am I have started a new business of wood carving figurines and more. It falls in the niche category and I have done a few sales here in India but I have a feeling that this might do well in the international market so I have already set up the business.
Question: What do I do, to scale up and get more customers from outside, maybe the US and UK? Also, I do plan to read the book "Niching up" in the near future but in the meantime, I just had this question.
Hi, byrondsouza,

I have some questions for you to help better understand the nature of your question:

1. What do you mean exactly when you say you have done "few sales"?

2. Why have you only had a "few sales" so far? Why haven't you had more than a few? Why haven't you had many?

3. Without hiring anyone new or making major changes to your business, what is your current capacity? For instance, how many could you sell per month, either as a total number of figurines/items or as a total dollar figure in revenue?

4. How close are you currently to maxing out that capacity? For example, if you could at most make 100 figurines per month and are currently only selling 3 per month, then you are only using 3% of your capacity.

There is a big difference between the following two things:

(a) Increasing your number of customers to utilize more of your current capacity

vs

(b) increasing your capacity

An example of the latter one, i.e. (b), would be if you owned a restaurant and it was doing really well, so you opened another restaurant of the same name serving the same menu on the other side of the same city, or you paid a contractor to literally expand the one restaurant to build more rooms so you could fit more tables and stoves and such in it.

In general, my advice is usually to not start getting involved in (b) until after you start to reach a ceiling with (a). In other words, until you start to be actually limited by your current capacity (meaning until you actually start hitting your current capacity at least occasionally), don't start working on or investing in growing your capacity, let alone working on or investing in exponentially growing your capacity.

For example, if you own a restaurant with 100 tables and you never ever have more being used at a time, and thus you never ever have any wait outside the restaurant at all, then it doesn't make sense to pay to have more space added to the restaurant or buy another location. This common-sense concept doesn't apply just to business but even to personal finance. If you buy a gallon of milk each week, and only drink half of it each week and throw the rest away, then it doesn't make sense to suddenly start 'scaling up' and buying two gallons of milk a week. If you aren't using the capacity you have, then it wouldn't make sense to invest in the cost of increasing your capacity.

Typically, adding new regional markets to your business is a case of increasing capacity. It's like opening another restaurant on another side of the same city or another restaurant of the same brand in a different city. Or, in your case, it could be adding international shipping and creating alternate versions of your ads and sales page for different locations/languages/cultures/currencies.

But such things tend to not be a case of 'if you build it, they will come'.

If you have a restaurant that never has a wait and always has empty tables, buying even more tables to put in your restaurant or building another restaurant of the same name with the same menu in a different city to double your capacity won't increase your sales significantly but rather will just cut your capacity utilization in half.

Let me make that more clear and quotable by saying it like this: Increasing your capacity does not increase your sales; it decreases your capacity utilization.

If you have a restaurant that is only ever half-filled at most, then you could say your capacity utilization is 50%. If you double how many tables you have in the restaurant or open up another branch of the same size on the other side of town, that will reduce your capacity utilization to only 25%. That will increase your costs without increasing your revenue.

Increasing capacity is typically a good thing if you are already currently maxing out or nearly maxing out your current capacity. Otherwise, it's usually a terrible awful counter-productive expense.

If you aren't selling well in India, where neither you nor your buyers have to pay international shipping and deal with customs and all those expensive and inconvenient obstacles, then it's probably not time to invest in expanding to other markets. That would be the equivalent of doubling your costs (e.g. rent, labor, electricity, etc.) by opening up a carbon copy of your restaurant on the other side of the city to double your capacity when your current restaurant never even has a wait. You won't make any more revenue, but your costs would be doubled. Why increase your capacity if you aren't using your capacity?

Keep in mind that India has over a billion people, including over 800,000 millionaires. That's millionaires in USD, not the local currency.

Even if your figurines/products/services were so luxurious and expensive that typically they would only ever be bought by a millionaire (i.e. someone whose net worth is over $1,000,000 USD), I'd still ask: What percentage of those 800,000 millionaires in India have bought at least one of your figurines? How many are repeat customers?

If your target buyer is not a millionaire but instead someone with a more common income and net wealth, then the numbers get even more in your favor in terms of India probably being the best place for you to sell for now.

If you can't sell it well where there are no international shipping charges and such, you aren't going to sell well where there are.

Make a tiny niche business that actually works extremely well on a small scale (i.e. that maxes out its capacity at that scale, which for you is local to India) before scaling up. Don't open a second restaurant until your first one is doing well and has 100% of the tables sat with a wait in the front.

If you told me you had a product that only millionaires would buy and that you had sold 8,000 of these things in India, which would mean 1% (and only 1%) of the millionaires bought it already, but now your sales are starting to plateau or even lower a bit, which would indicate you have saturated that market already, then it might be time or a good idea to expand. But to reiterate one of my questions from the start of this post: what percentage of people in your target market in India, which presumably includes a lot more than merely the 800,000 millionaires in India, have bought your product so far? 10%? 2%? 1%? 0.1%? 0.000001%? Why haven't the rest bought it? Why haven't more bought it?

Those aren't rhetorical questions. I'm genuinely asking so I can understand your situation better and provide advice.

But presumably, once I got the details, my answer would be to focus on increasing your sales in India, and if that doesn't work, then eventually the next step would be to say the market has spoken rather than to expand.

If the market does speak, and what the market says is that it just is not a viable scalable business, then you have the option of (1) closing up shop or (2) just re-classifying what you are doing as a hobby, not a business.

And sometimes not being able to make a beloved hobby into a full-fledged profitable business is a blessing. That's because often the best way to fall out of love with a hobby or even start to resent it is to turn it into a business. Sometimes we ruin play by turning it into a job. If you love cooking, opening a restaurant could be a ticket to learning to resent the kitchen rather than love it.

Are you in it for the money? If not, then maybe the best blessing and stroke of luck you might encounter will be the market speaking and saying, "No matter how much you push to ruin this beloved hobby by turning it into a stressful money-focused boring business, it won't work. You will only ever be doing this thing out of love for the activity, and you will never get paid well for it."

I'm not saying that to you. I'm saying that maybe the market will say that to you, and maybe it won't. And if it does say that to you, it will actually presumably be a great blessing, even if it seems disguised at that time.

But the market doesn't answer unless you ask, and you can only ask it with actions, not words. So to get the answer from the market, you would need to truly test your product/business and truly ask the market by doing your absolute best to sell much more than a 'few' of your products in India. Then the market will tell you whether you need to expand or convert it back into a hobby. When you do it right in business, it kind of stops being a choice. The market tells you what to do by basically forcing it. Businesses don't choose to close up shop; the market puts them out of business; it forces them to close with unpayable debts and unaffordable costs and such. Businesses don't really choose to expand so much as getting forced to by the market. You have a line out the door of your restaurant every night with people begging for a table and waiting hours to sit down. They stand there with their money in their hands practically begging to pay you to make them food, only to be told, "Sorry, we are all booked up tonight. We can't take your money. We can't let you buy from us because we are once again at 100% capacity. Overcapacity really."

When you start getting would-be customers who are mad at you because they can't buy from you, then it's probably time to expand. In the case of a restaurant, that might mean building a second floor or buying a second building on the other side of town; in your case, it would mean allowing international shipping and taking on the expensive upfront investment of the development of the logistics to properly serve international customers.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

expand business globally.png

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your reply. I started this as a hobby back in December 2023. After seeing my work I received 9 orders to date. I have had 2 repeat customers. Since this is not a machine-made product I can only make approximately 4-5 figurines per month as there is a lot of stress on my hands with using power tools too apart from knives. I don't intend to do more than that but at least have a consistent order book of 5 per month. That said, I have not yet maxed out the capacity per month.

I appreciate your advice on sticking to local sales before I take them internationally. Also, I would like to add that apart from figurines I have started making more wooden artifacts like crosses and name stands (nameplates) which take less time to make and I could do approximately 20 per month. I keep looking for newer products to add to my list.

"Make a tiny niche business that actually works extremely well on a small scale (i.e. that maxes out its capacity at that scale, which for you is local to India) before scaling up. Don't open a second restaurant until your first one is doing well and has 100% of the tables sat with a wait in the front." Point noted.

Thank you Scott, I appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable response.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=506967
Mere exposure to philosophical texts or admiration for prominent philosophers can spark philosophical inclinations in some individuals. Nevertheless, for the majority, it is their personal experiences and life encounters that prompt them to adopt a philosophical outlook and introspectively examine their existence, values, and beliefs.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=544113

Mounce574 wrote: August 4th, 2024, 7:14 pm
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: August 15th, 2023, 7:19 pm
ReCaptcha definitely won't work. AIs can already beat ReCaptcha and other CAPTCHA tests and pass the Turing Test. They have been able to do that for a long time now.

The most effective way to keep out bots and AIs is to close down registration and new signups entirely. AIs and bots cannot get in if nobody can.
I have encountered some sights that require a person to answer a question correctly every time they log in. It was generally simple like 12 + 2 is equal to. I am not sure if that will defeat a bot or not. But it is an idea?
Hi, Mounce574,

Those are called CAPTCHA tests. We have had it on OnlineBookClub for years.

5+ years ago, they were very good at preventing bots from signing up.

These days, due to modern AI, they are relatively useless.

AI bots can pass CAPTCHA tests better than humans in most cases.

Very soon, AI bots will be able to pass all CAPTCHA tests better than even the best humans.

In fact, ironically, one way to catch AI (i.e. distinguish AI content and behavior from humans) is that the AI will be too good at passing tests to be human. For example, one symptom that the content is written by AI is that the grammar and writing quality are too good to be human. A sign that you are talking to an AI bot rather than a human would be that it can answer math questions and pass CAPTCHA tests too quickly.

But it's not a good solution precisely due to the irony of that and thus also the fact that it won't be hard for an AI to slow down and play dumb to pretend to be merely human, despite it truly being way smarter and faster than humans.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

CAPTCHA tests.png
CAPTCHA tests.png (639.79 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

Well as for me I start gradually because I noticed it keeps me from feeling overwhelmed and allows me to experience small wins which keeps me motivated, and then I make it a routine, track my progress make it fun, the more fun it is the easier it gets for me, being kind to myself.
Breathe and take it easy, try to pinpoint exactly what you’re afraid off, and ask yourself if it’s based on reality or worry because sometimes fears are based on assumptions that may not happen. Try to focus on what you can see, hear or feel at the moment. This can help bring you back to the present and reduce anxious thinking. Speak it out if need be to someone trustworthy.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream