Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:56 pm
Let's start with the first one; do you understand that first sentence:

"The political philosophy of political freedom, nonviolence, and self-government acts as an analogue for a much broader and grander spiritual philosophy of spiritual freedom."

?
Priyankan Nayak wrote: March 8th, 2024, 12:56 am No, I wasn't able to completely understand the whole sentence. I can only categorize political freedom under political philosophy and spiritual freedom under spiritual philosophy. You have written meaning of spiritual freedom but how that can be analogues to political freedom?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: March 8th, 2024, 3:56 pm

Hi, Priyankan Nayak,

Thank you for your reply! :)

May I ask if you can explain to me in detail how you are interpreting/understanding the word "analogue" as I've used it in the sentence above?

Can you give me an example of a few analogies? I can then use your examples to understand what you consider to be an analogy versus a non-analogy, and what you consider to be a valid/correct/understandable analogy versus an invalid/incorrect/non-understandable one.
Priyankan Nayak wrote: March 8th, 2024, 10:46 pm

Hey Scott,

I mean, the term 'analogy' refers to a comparison of two things that are not the same but have some similarities. Spiritual philosophy is concerned with spirituality (the existence of a reality that cannot be physically observed), and spiritual freedom is a privilege that allows people to express themselves and live their lives according to their beliefs. It is akin to or comparable to political philosophy, which investigates political concerns such as power, governance, justice, and freedom, including political freedom (the ability of citizens to engage in political processes).

Thank you.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: March 9th, 2024, 4:11 pm

Hi, Priyankan Nayak, can you give me a few examples of some analogies that you believe are valid analogies?

Here's an example of analogy I believe to be a decently valid analogy:

In terms of size, an ant is to a rat what the Moon is to the Earth.

What do you think of that one? Is that one valid? Is that one understandable? Are ants similar to the moon? Are rats similar to the Earth?
Priyankan Nayak wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:48 am No ants might not be similar to Earth. The example is valid in the sense that they are compared in terms of size. An ant to the rat is compared as in the moon to the Earth. The reference is here to the size of the matter.

Examples of some analogies that I think are valid -
1)Finding that lost dog will be like finding a needle in a haystack.
2)Go is to Green as Red is to stop.
3)As light as a feather.
4) Life is like a box of chocolates.
We know life can never be like a box of
chocolates ( as in literary terms), but we can
make our life better,sweeter with happier
memories.
I think I see the main issue: I think you are confusing metaphors, similes, and/or comparisons with analogies.

Analogies take the form A:B::C:D, meaning they require four elements. Likewise, even though A and C are analogues it doesn't mean that A and C are "comparable" or "similar" or that they would even be good similes/metaphors for each other. What's being compares is the relationship between A and B to the relationship between C and D.

Something like "Life is like a box of chocolates" is not an analogy as written. That's because it does not have four elements (A, B, C, D), only two.

In my analogy, "an ant is to a rat what the Moon is to the Earth", A = Ant, B = Rat, C = Moon, and D = Earth.

Regardless, since you agree that my analogy, "an ant is to a rat what the Moon is to the Earth" is valid, with the ant being the analogue of the moon, despite the fact that ants (A) and the moon (C) are not similar nor comparable in and of themselves, means that for the same reason political freedom and spiritual freedom can be analogues even if they are not similar or comparable.

Saying something is an analogue of something else doesn't mean the two things are similar or comparable.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Yes, I am satisfied with all aspects of the book.
I appreciate the book in its entirety and understand that it emphasizes the acknowledgment and awareness of "all of me ( which, in doing so, is acknowledging all of you too): in this entirety of divine existence at play, the choice of unleashing my true consciousness through the love and acceptance of everything is my choice, and I do see that the key is in my hand. I choose to unlock 🔑 the pathway. I choose to light my fire within so they 🔥 through the dark illusions of my shadow. I choose to paint on my canvas with the diverse colors of universal love. I choose to focus on what is within my control and let go of those things that are not. I choose to move forward with gratitude and grace 🌼
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=508012
I am sure the first time I read this book, I may have misunderstood some of the sentences. However, now that I have read it four times, I am sure I understand everything in your book. My understandings are insufficient to make me an expert on the topics, but I am comfortable with how I understand everything you wrote in your book. I continue to use it as an inspiration.
Hi Scott,
On page ten of your book, you talk about the Knee jerk Urge and say that defending the status quo is foolish and selfish. I don't really understand what the Knee Jerk Urge means. So could you please explain more on it.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=489094
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: May 16th, 2024, 6:05 am Hi Scott,
On page ten of your book, you talk about the Knee jerk Urge and say that defending the status quo is foolish and selfish. I don't really understand what the Knee Jerk Urge means. So could you please explain more on it.
Hi, Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango,

I believe this is the psentence about which you are asking:

[quote="In It Together (Page 10)")Even in consideration of innocent children starving to death, likely at some level you as a human feel that foolish, selfish human instinct: the knee-jerk urge to rationalize or excuse the starvation and death, to somehow conceptually defend the horrible status quo, much like a drug addict creating excuses to use drugs once more, or a blood-addicted vampire creating excuses to murderously pierce another neck and drink.[/quote]

I think the dictionary will be helpful here.

If I just go to Google and type in "define:knee-jerk", it gives the following definition (from Oxford Languages dictionary):

"(of a response) automatic and unthinking."

Basically, the adjective 'knee-jerk' just means reflexive, meaning it is a reflex, like when the doctor uses that little hammer to hit your knee and then your lower leg and foot pop up in reflex.

Please do let me know if you still don't understanding what is meant by the word and/or sentence, and I will gladly explain further.

Otherwise, please do let me know if you come across any other sentences that are not completely clear. That will help me not only clarify it for you, but also help me to make slight edits for the next edition of the book to make the sentences even clearer for future readers. :)

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Hi Scott,
Something on page 33 got me confused. I know I might get the answer but it's better to get a clarification first. You state that we treat our selves with cruelty and that's why we are cruel to starving children. However, I don't seem to understand this because humans love them selves and want the best in there lives. This in my view means that they will do what's best for them with utmost love and not cruelty. So you mentioning that humans are cruel to themselves seems like a contradiction. Sorry if I haven't asked this question well, but I hope you get the point.
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: May 19th, 2024, 3:17 pm Hi Scott,
Something on page 33 got me confused. I know I might get the answer but it's better to get a clarification first. You state that we treat our selves with cruelty and that's why we are cruel to starving children. However, I don't seem to understand this because humans love them selves and want the best in there lives. This in my view means that they will do what's best for them with utmost love and not cruelty. So you mentioning that humans are cruel to themselves seems like a contradiction. Sorry if I haven't asked this question well, but I hope you get the point.

When posting in this topic, please provide a verbatim quote of the sentence you do not not understand.

Please do also make sure that you do already understand and agree with all the preceding sentences, since later sentences build on the premises explained in earlier ones.

Thank you,
Scott
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: May 20th, 2024, 2:40 pm
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: May 19th, 2024, 3:17 pm Hi Scott,

When posting in this topic, please provide a verbatim quote of the sentence you do not not understand.

Please do also make sure that you do already understand and agree with all the preceding sentences, since later sentences build on the premises explained in earlier ones.

Thank you,
Scott
Hi Scott,
The Verbatim sentence is this, "We may behave cruelly and behave in seemingly unsympathetic ways toward starving children and others who suffer, but it isn't because we selfishly treat them worse than we treat ourselves. The sad opposite is the case: We treat them so cruelly because we treat them like we treat ourselves, which is cruelly."
I do agree with you but I don't understand why we humans treat our selves with cruelty.
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: May 20th, 2024, 3:04 pm
Hi Scott,
The Verbatim sentence is this, "We may behave cruelly and behave in seemingly unsympathetic ways toward starving children and others who suffer, but it isn't because we selfishly treat them worse than we treat ourselves. The sad opposite is the case: We treat them so cruelly because we treat them like we treat ourselves, which is cruelly."
I do agree with you but I don't understand why we humans treat our selves with cruelty.

How can you agree with with the sentence if you don't understand what the sentence means?

There's a difference between (1) not understanding the sentence versus (2) understanding the sentence, agreeing that it is true, but not understanding why it is true.

If #2 is the case, then you will want to just keep reading to learn more about why humans tend to be so seemingly self-destructive and self-abusive and why humans so often seem to harm themselves and be mean to themselves and have such mean and verbally abusive self-critical inner monologues.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: May 20th, 2024, 5:35 pm
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: May 20th, 2024, 3:04 pm
Hi Scott,

How can you agree with with the sentence if you don't understand what the sentence means?

There's a difference between (1) not understanding the sentence versus (2) understanding the sentence, agreeing that it is true, but not understanding why it is true.

If #2 is the case, then you will want to just keep reading to learn more about why humans tend to be so seemingly self-destructive and self-abusive and why humans so often seem to harm themselves and be mean to themselves and have such mean and verbally abusive self-critical inner monologues.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
Alright, thank you.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream