Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Your perspective on "evil" revolves around the idea that it signifies a discrepancy between how things are and how they ought to be, specifically regarding unchangeable reality. It seems you associate "evil" with a concept of 'should-not-ness'—the belief that something should not have occurred or that reality should be different than it is.

However, interpretations of "evil" can vary widely based on personal, cultural, or philosophical perspectives. Some may view "evil" as actions or occurrences that deliberately cause harm or go against moral or ethical principles. Others might see it as a force or presence representing darkness or malevolence in various forms.

My view of "evil" aligns with the understanding that it encompasses actions or intentions causing deliberate harm, going against ethical principles, or leading to suffering. While I respect your perspective, the concept of 'should-not-ness' doesn't solely encapsulate the diverse interpretations and usages of the term "evil" across different contexts and belief systems.
The concept of evil is subjective and varies across cultures, belief systems, and individuals. Some argue that evil exists as a manifestation of human actions that cause harm or suffering, often driven by malicious intent. Others attribute it to societal structures, environmental factors, or psychological influences that lead to harmful behavior. The existence of evil is often rooted in ethical, moral, or religious perspectives, with different frameworks offering diverse explanations for its presence in the world.
You believe that “Evil” cannot exist because unconditional love does. If we love everything unconditionally than nothing can be evil. I can see your point but Newtons Law states For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So if unconditional love is true than their had to be conditional love. If good exist than evil has to be real. We can call things evil even though we have unconditional love for them. The other day our bull dog grabbed our potbelly pig by the ear and wouldn’t let go. We love our dog but he is indeed evil.
You've presented a thought-provoking perspective on the concept of "evil," emphasizing the idea that it hinges on the notion of something that 'should not have happened' or 'should be different' from the unchangeable reality. Your definition aligns with the belief in unconditional acceptance and love for everything, even in difficult situations.

The term 'evil' can indeed carry various interpretations and connotations based on individual beliefs, cultural backgrounds, and personal experiences. Some may view it in a religious or moral context, while others might consider it as extreme immorality or harm.

My perception of "evil" often aligns with the concept of actions or events that cause profound suffering, harm, or significant negative consequences, irrespective of whether they 'should' or 'should not' have happened according to an unchangeable reality. While your perspective sheds light on acceptance and unconditional love, others might view 'evil' as a recognition of actions or events that significantly deviate from moral or ethical principles.

So, while there are overlaps in our understandings, the definition and interpretation of 'evil' might diverge based on individual perspectives, beliefs, and the contexts in which the term is used.
In my personal view, I define "evil" as a subjective and culturally influenced concept often used to categorize actions or behaviors deemed morally reprehensible. However, I don't believe in the existence of an inherent, universal force of evil. Instead, I see actions as products of complex circumstances, motivations, and societal factors. Viewing behaviors through a nuanced lens helps me understand them without resorting to a broad, absolute label like "evil."
Labelling something as "evil," doesn't mean we reject unconditional acceptance or love. Some philosophical viewpoints believe that "evil" serves as a moral or ethical framework to distinguish harmful, unjust, or morally wrong actions or events. So recognizing something as "evil" doesn't necessarily mean we lack acceptance or are unwilling to embrace unchangeable aspects of reality. Sometimes acknowledging 'evil' is a necessary step towards addressing harmful patterns and creating a more just and equitable world.
While I understand and respect your perspective on the concept of evil, I believe that evil does indeed exist in the world. Evil can manifest itself through actions that cause harm, suffering, or intentionally inflict pain upon others. It can take many forms, ranging from small-scale personal acts to large-scale atrocities.

In response to evil, it is generally considered morally virtuous to strive for love, compassion, and forgiveness. Responding to evil with goodness can contribute to the healing and growth of individuals and communities.

However, it is important to recognize that there are situations where responding to evil with love may not always be the most appropriate or practical course of action.

In certain circumstances, responding to evil with indifference or caution can be a valid approach. This doesn't mean we necessarily reciprocate evil with evil, but it acknowledges the need to protect ourselves and others from harm. It recognizes that some individuals or situations may not be receptive to acts of love or forgiveness, and interacting with them without caution might expose us to unnecessary risks.
Everyone has their own perspective of different things, and I clearly understand your point of view. But to me, evil does exist in so many forms, whether we are able to change them or not. It can spring from people's actions, words, or even natural occurring hazards. I also believe we can fight evil, when we do not repay evil with evil, when we see the beauty of things around us, and try to focus on the positive.
While "evil" may be rare in my everyday language, I acknowledge its connotative role in expressing negative emotions, as you noted. However, sometimes labeling a situation as negative isn't necessarily driven by contempt but aims to establish a clear distinction.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=518534
For anyone who believes what I call "evil" (a.k.a. should-not-have-ness) actually exists, please do reply in both of the following topics, making sure to answer each and every one of the six questions:

- To believe in an all-powerful God and think 'should-not-have-ness' exists is to therefore believe that God did a bad job

- Six Questions for People Who Believe Should-Not-Have-Ness Exists (i.e. for people who believe in 'shoulds' and 'oughts')
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream