Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
By Pattern-chaser
Sy Borg wrote: September 4th, 2023, 6:04 pm Just as well I did provide an example or the thread would have fallen into complete nebulousness.
It already had, I think, until you leapt in and spontaneously restarted it with your assertion of casual dismissal. Thank you.

Sy Borg wrote: September 4th, 2023, 6:04 pm Also remember, when an idea is "casually" dismissed, it may be the thirtieth time in discussion that the idea reappears. What appears to be casualness is normally fatigue from dealing with the same points, over and over.
If those points had been "dealt with", so that they could be Accepted or Rejected, for logically-sufficient reasons, then it would only be necessary to quote or refer to the conclusive argument.

Perhaps the reason such points arise again and again is that no firm conclusion can be logically justified, based on available knowledge and information?
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
By Fanman
Pattern-chaser,

Inconclusive evidence for God’s existence logically means there is no onus on anyone to believe. That is sufficient to justify non-belief. The fact that God can’t be proven or disproved either way means that believing or disbelieving is a choice. Ironically, that correlates with the principle of the New Testament.
By Pattern-chaser
As before, noting that this is about the logic of Acceptance/Rejection of any idea:
Fanman wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm Pattern-chaser,

Inconclusive evidence for God’s existence logically means there is no onus on anyone to believe.
Agreed, there is no onus to Accept; the idea in question belongs where it started, on the Maybe pile. After all, as you note, there is no conclusive evidence to do otherwise.

Fanman wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm That is sufficient to justify non-belief.
Not quite; it is sufficient to conclude that neither Acceptance nor Rejection is justified. The idea must stay on the Maybe pile, logically.

Fanman wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm The fact that God can’t be proven or disproved either way means that believing or disbelieving is a choice.
Logically, neither belief nor disbelief can be justified. There is sufficient reason to leave the idea on the Maybe pile, nothing more.
By Fanman
Pattern-chaser,
Agreed, there is no onus to Accept; the idea in question belongs where it started, on the Maybe pile. After all, as you note, there is no conclusive evidence to do otherwise.
Yes, logically, God does belong on the maybe pile. But the fact that atheists do not put him in that pile - does not justify a claim that they are being illogical - Simply because of the fact that there is nothing to cause them to believe - No evidence and no logical underpinning - As those factors are present, they don't have to put God in the maybe pile, and can within reason reject the claim that he exists.
By Good_Egg
Just wondering if "everyone else thinks so" counts as justification for acceptance or rejection?
By Pattern-chaser
Pattern-chaser wrote:Agreed, there is no onus to Accept; the idea in question belongs where it started, on the Maybe pile. After all, as you note, there is no conclusive evidence to do otherwise.
Fanman wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:42 pm Yes, logically, God does belong on the maybe pile.
Yes, and this is a thread about logic, and logical argument. 👍

Fanman wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:42 pm But the fact that atheists do not put him in that pile - does not justify a claim that they are being illogical...
If they see fit to place the idea on the Rejected pile — without a logical and sufficient justification — then yes, it does mean they're being illogical. But that is not 'wrong'. Humans make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons, and only some of them are logical. I would not, and do not, argue against that. I only observe that if their arguments do not conform to the rules of logic, then they are illogical, but perhaps not 'wrong'.

Fanman wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:42 pm Simply because of the fact that there is nothing to cause them to believe - No evidence and no logical underpinning - As those factors are present, they don't have to put God in the maybe pile, and can within reason reject the claim that he exists.
Not logically, they can't.

Good_Egg wrote: September 6th, 2023, 5:48 pm Just wondering if "everyone else thinks so" counts as justification for acceptance or rejection?
That's not a logical rule I've heard of before. Perhaps I had a sheltered upbringing? The Principle of Objective Consensus, perhaps? 😋
By Fanman
Pattern-chaser,

Is there no logical foundation for the existence of God – Therefore, there is no valid reason to believe in him. The fact that his existence - cannot be disproved doesn't create the basis for a positive affirmation (as you know). Nor an illogicality for not believing. Theists do not believe in God through logic but through faith. To place God on the maybe pile, atheists must believe that he can exist, which would epistemologically be faith - as there is nothing (logical) - that supports that idea. Meaning they can logically reject the idea that God exists.
By Pattern-chaser
Fanman wrote: September 7th, 2023, 1:34 pm [There is] no logical foundation for the existence of God – Therefore, there is no valid reason to believe in him.
There is no logical foundation for the non-existence of God – Therefore, there is no valid reason to disbelieve in Her.

Fanman wrote: September 7th, 2023, 1:34 pm The fact that his existence - cannot be disproved doesn't create the basis for a positive affirmation (as you know). Nor an illogicality for not believing. Theists do not believe in God through logic but through faith. To place God on the maybe pile, atheists must believe that he can exist, which would epistemologically be faith - as there is nothing (logical) - that supports that idea. Meaning they can logically reject the idea that God exists.
Ooo, that's a bit twisted, and the logic of your argument is a bit murky, I think. Your ideas seem to revolve around binary thinking, in this instance that God either exists or not. But there are three piles — Accepted, Maybe and Rejected — not two.

According to logic and reason, God might or could exist.
Also, in accordance with the same logic and reason, God might or could be an invention.

Because there is no evidence, or the like, that would justify a conclusion, logic and reason dictate and demand that God remains on the Maybe pile, until something changes. Maybe new evidence will emerge? It seems unlikely, but...

God belongs on the Maybe pile because the move to another pile must be justified by sufficient reason, and there is none.

Please note that this is a position based only on logic and reason, as this topic is. Faith and feeling have their place, but this topic is not it.
By Fanman
Pattern-chaser,

I agree. The concept of God cannot logically move from the maybe pile (which I've already stated). But that does not mean it cannot be rejected. Maybe - only facilitates the choice of belief or non-belief - It doesn’t necessitate either. Given there is no evidence indicating God's existence, atheists have that justification as the reason for not believing. You say that my thinking is binary, but the maybe pile only exists in the context of this argument. In reality God either exists or he doesn’t.
By Pattern-chaser
Fanman wrote: September 8th, 2023, 7:00 pm Pattern-chaser,

I agree. The concept of God cannot logically move from the maybe pile (which I've already stated). But that does not mean it cannot be rejected.
Er, yes, it does. God must (logically) remain on the Maybe pile, and so cannot be placed onto the Rejected pile. Even a God can only be in one pile at a time... Being on the Maybe pile means that no-one should accept or reject God, if they follow logic and reason. "Maybe" means just that, and it precludes outright rejection, as well as acceptance.

Fanman wrote: September 8th, 2023, 7:00 pm Maybe - only facilitates the choice of belief or non-belief - It doesn’t necessitate either.
No, it mandates neither! There is no (logical) choice of acceptance or rejection available. Of course, people can choose to believe what they want to, but here we are concerned only with logical argument. Outside of logic and reason, human behaviour will be what it always has been ... somewhat unpredictable. 😉

Fanman wrote: September 8th, 2023, 7:00 pm Given there is no evidence indicating God's existence, atheists have that justification as the reason for not believing. You say that my thinking is binary, but the maybe pile only exists in the context of this argument. In reality God either exists or he doesn’t.
Now you are trying to overlay the logic we have examined somewhat exhaustively with binary thinking again. The Maybe pile, along with its Accepted and Rejected fellows, is as real as any human-imagined creation. This isn't so much about God's existence, as our understanding of it, and how it is approached using logic and reason as our tools. And that understanding features three piles, or something like them.

Binary thinking often denies the reality of the real world, as we experience it, where there is sometimes a Maybe option. True, false ... or maybe something in between? Black, white ... or maybe some shade of grey? Right, wrong ... or maybe a bit of both? And so on. Yes, there are definitely real world moments when binary thinking is the way to go. But not always.
By Fanman
Pattern-chaser,
Binary thinking often denies the reality of the real world, as we experience it, where there is sometimes a Maybe option. True, false ... or maybe something in between? Black, white ... or maybe some shade of grey? Right, wrong ... or maybe a bit of both? And so on. Yes, there are definitely real world moments when binary thinking is the way to go. But not always.
Outside the realm of thought. How can God's existence be a "maybe"?
By Pattern-chaser
Fanman wrote: September 10th, 2023, 8:33 pm Pattern-chaser,
God's existence must be a Maybe, according to logic and reason, because there is insufficient evidence to justify Acceptance or Rejection. To reach any conclusion, we must have sufficient reason, and in this case, there is no such reason.

This is not about "the realm of thought"; our discussion is not aimed at, or about, "the realm of thought". Any conclusions we reach, or cannot reach, concern the real world, not philosophical Ivory Towers. Billions of people believe in God. This does not justify their belief, but it does make the idea of God in the real world a worthwhile subject of philosophical discussion.
By Fanman
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:33 am
Fanman wrote: September 10th, 2023, 8:33 pm Pattern-chaser,
God's existence must be a Maybe, according to logic and reason, because there is insufficient evidence to justify Acceptance or Rejection. To reach any conclusion, we must have sufficient reason, and in this case, there is no such reason.

This is not about "the realm of thought"; our discussion is not aimed at, or about, "the realm of thought". Any conclusions we reach, or cannot reach, concern the real world, not philosophical Ivory Towers. Billions of people believe in God. This does not justify their belief, but it does make the idea of God in the real world a worthwhile subject of philosophical discussion.
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. But I don't think I can make it any clearer.
By Good_Egg
God is the personification of Good.

This act of personification allows the believer to have a relationship, a closeness, a devotion to Good that is much harder to have with goodness conceived as an abstract principle.

Does Good hear and respond to heartfelt prayers ? Or does an alignment with Good allow us to influence the world in mysterious ways ? I don't know. Maybe.

The commitment of the heart should be to Good, not to ideas about Good.

Maybe to you it is clear that there is truth or lack-of-truth in that act of personification. To me it is not - it is a genuine Maybe.
By Pattern-chaser
Fanman wrote: September 11th, 2023, 12:57 pm You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. But I don't think I can make it any clearer.
I believe you have made yourself "clear". I wonder why you say this? Is it your thought that if I understood you, I would agree with you?

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream