Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
thrasymachus wrote: June 15th, 2023, 5:02 pm
Gertie wrote
Great. Just your own unambiguous and concise argument accounting for the nature and content of our conscious experience please. (Consider the ground cleared of other ontologies and arguments and their problems).
One object, a brain physical-thing, facing Mount Kilimanjaro. How does the former have an epistemic relation with the latter?

There are two sides to this, the ethical/aesthetic and the epistemological. This question above penetrates to the epistemic issue. Like I said, Kant is out simply because he makes the whole thing so convoluted. This is the short cut. the assumption, departing from Kant, is this: we really don't care about agreement among those in a perceptual community. I see a cow and say, look, a cow, and you agree. It is simply not a point of interest whether what you see is "the same" as what I see. Pragmatic agreement is enough, meaning what I say aligns well enough to make a connection, participate in a consensus about cows, and solve problems regarding them.

So the question needs an answer. I wonder what yours is.
That's not an argument thras.
Gertie wrote
I thought it was that you did not want a dissertation. The best way to go is via elenchus for in this way the details are revealed. Rather than going on and on, and the disagreements here and there altogether bypassed.

On this issue of epistemology: Take Quine, the mathematician and philosophical naturalist. See here what he says about the need for philosophy to have a "satisfactory conceptual apparatus":

Quine sees philosophy as a task that seeks to develop (or uncover) a satisfactory “conceptual apparatus,” and
the terms that play a leading role in a good conceptual apparatus are terms that promise to play a
leading role in causal explanation; and causal explanation is polarized. Causal explanations of
psychology are to be sought in physiology, of physiology in biology, of biology in chemistry,
and of chemistry in physics—in the elementary physical states.19

(from David Golumba's QUINE, DERRIDA, AND THE QUESTION OF PHILOSOPHY)

This is an astounding way to conceive of causality, as it has NO paradigms for meaning and therefore none for epistemology. When we speak of meaning, it is the conscious world in which we find all things presented to us in the world, yet this world has no epistemic connectivity to consciousness, its thoughts, feelings, intentionality, language, and so forth--the very means of conceiving at all!

Someone like Quine, and this is the working assumption of most of those in this and other philosophy clubs, has a very rigid devotion to physics. See above : ".....chemistry to physics--the elementary physical states." There simply is NO "transitional notion" that would establish physical connectivity to meaning. the best one can conceive is a kind of magical "episteme at a distance."

Kant, the idealist, on the opposite side of Quine, put it like this: how can one explain synthetic apriori judgments? The "world" is at its very foundation apriori, for everything in the world, all objects, conform to time and space's dimensions, and these are apodictic, apriori. Or, all judgments fit the formal conditions of the categories of pure reason, whether it is a conditional, an affirmation, a universal, and so on. To speak at all is to condition that which is spoken about according to some principle of reason. To say all bodies occupy space (a universal) FIRST belongs to the apriority of the judgment that declares this. FIRST because the utterance is presupposed in everything one can say about objects. And there is Quine saying this has to be explained via causality. Well, name one way that this can be even possible. There is nothing in causality that is epistemic, and so no working paradigm in physics to connect meaning to the world.

This point would have to be acknowledged to move on to your "account for the nature and content of our conscious experience."
thrasymachus wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:03 am
Gertie wrote
I thought it was that you did not want a dissertation. The best way to go is via elenchus for in this way the details are revealed. Rather than going on and on, and the disagreements here and there altogether bypassed.

On this issue of epistemology: Take Quine, the mathematician and philosophical naturalist. See here what he says about the need for philosophy to have a "satisfactory conceptual apparatus":

Quine sees philosophy as a task that seeks to develop (or uncover) a satisfactory “conceptual apparatus,” and
the terms that play a leading role in a good conceptual apparatus are terms that promise to play a
leading role in causal explanation; and causal explanation is polarized. Causal explanations of
psychology are to be sought in physiology, of physiology in biology, of biology in chemistry,
and of chemistry in physics—in the elementary physical states.19

(from David Golumba's QUINE, DERRIDA, AND THE QUESTION OF PHILOSOPHY)

This is an astounding way to conceive of causality, as it has NO paradigms for meaning and therefore none for epistemology. When we speak of meaning, it is the conscious world in which we find all things presented to us in the world, yet this world has no epistemic connectivity to consciousness, its thoughts, feelings, intentionality, language, and so forth--the very means of conceiving at all!

Someone like Quine, and this is the working assumption of most of those in this and other philosophy clubs, has a very rigid devotion to physics. See above : ".....chemistry to physics--the elementary physical states." There simply is NO "transitional notion" that would establish physical connectivity to meaning. the best one can conceive is a kind of magical "episteme at a distance."

Kant, the idealist, on the opposite side of Quine, put it like this: how can one explain synthetic apriori judgments? The "world" is at its very foundation apriori, for everything in the world, all objects, conform to time and space's dimensions, and these are apodictic, apriori. Or, all judgments fit the formal conditions of the categories of pure reason, whether it is a conditional, an affirmation, a universal, and so on. To speak at all is to condition that which is spoken about according to some principle of reason. To say all bodies occupy space (a universal) FIRST belongs to the apriority of the judgment that declares this. FIRST because the utterance is presupposed in everything one can say about objects. And there is Quine saying this has to be explained via causality. Well, name one way that this can be even possible. There is nothing in causality that is epistemic, and so no working paradigm in physics to connect meaning to the world.

This point would have to be acknowledged to move on to your "account for the nature and content of our conscious experience."
I was interested in whether you could clearly outline your own ontological position and the gist of the argument which supports it, if you have one. But nevermind.
value wrote:Can you please explain what you mean with the term 'absolute'?

I find the term absolute to be expressing existence per se in an as definitive sense as possible, as if a retro-perspective would allow the perception of such a nature as an independent concept, causing the idea that the world is deterministic (pre-judged) of nature.

My opinion is that value isn't absolute but instead is a 'beholder of meaning' (it attempts to describe something) which relates to existence wholly, similar as the idea of absolute, but only in such a way that it is a retro-perspective that has no ground in itself.

I don't believe in a pre-judgement (determinism) when it concerns the origin of the universe. I don't believe that good is a 'given'.
thrasymachus wrote: June 13th, 2023, 10:49 amWell, it's like, don't get me started, because this question is THE philosophical question for me. This is why I read philosophy at all. Signification? This does beg the question, doesn't it? Levinas does not, as far as I've read, state the matter at its basis.

Wittgenstein would simply turn his chair to the wall in response to "explain what you mean by absolute." His Tractatus is infamously self critical, for he does take up this question but insists it should be passed over in silence. Once one really gets what he is up to, one understands the basic post modern problem with philosophy, which is the giveness of the world.
The idea of Givenness of the world seems to insinuate a pre-judgement and determinism, which is an absurd idea in my opinion.

It would be as if Wittgenstein would have argued to not speak of an aspect that is considered none-the-less as a qualitative ground for an assertion about the nature of the world (its 'Givenness'), which would be non-sensical, because anything with a qualitative nature can be spoken of.

The 'Given' world is only that which can be considered meaningful within the scope of intentionality (a perspective) and that concept is a direct manifestation of directedness or directionality per se, a concept that involves a qualitative deviance as the pure source of quality in the world.

Therefore, the world of value, the world in experience, is fundamentally an aspired world that can be meaningful only through the pure source of quality per se of wich conscious-intentionality is a direct manifestation.

When one is to consider the potential of quality per se, it is impossible to consider that aspect to have been preceded by an aspect with a qualitative nature, which implies that a pre-judgement or 'Givenness' of the world is absurd, when it is to be 'given' to conscious-intentionality.

Quality before the potential of quality is absurd. Conscious-intentionality is a direct manifestation of the pure source of quality in the world. Therefore the world is not Given or deterministic.

When I started the critical blog Zielenknijper around 2009 I did so based on the following consideration for free will (the blog investigated the free will abolishment movement).

"If life were to be good as it was (pre-judged), there would be no reason to exist."

It could be modified to:

"If the world would be Given, there would be no reason for the world to exist."

What one perceives as value in the world, is fundamentally an aspired world which fundamental source is pure meaning, which is boundless and beginning-less of nature.

Would you disagree with this?

thrasymachus wrote: June 13th, 2023, 10:49 amI don't think Wittgenstein's taboo on speaking the unspeakable stops us from talking about absolutes, talking around them within language to intimate what is not language. There is this paper by Derrida on Levinas, the Metaphysics of Violence that does just this. Levinas' Totality and Infinity does this. Those French theo-philosophers, Jean luc Marion, Jean luc Nancy and Michel Henry do this. This is analytic philosophy's biggest complaint: that talking like this is a kind of "seduction of language", but my thinking is that analytic types just don't understand the world very well. And they don't understand religion at all.

Anyway, absolutes. Here is a good knife, sharp, balanced, etc., but then, what if I need a knife for Macbeth? Then it being sharp is just the opposite of what is needed; someone might get hurt otherwise. This is an example of contingency, and all meanings of thigs are like this (see Stanley Fish's Is There a Text in this class for a fuller account). Subject to recontextualizing that gives them different meanings. Kant's categories included, and this is a pretty big idea that has to be put off for later. But what if one could conceive of something that in spite of all the possible contextual variations, remained what it was. That something could not be a language entity, for all things language can say are ipso facto contingent, and you could read Derrida (and Fish, and others) for this: language is an historical phenomenon (Heidegger), and when we take something up in language it is taken up "as" a concept in language; or, when we use a term, the term's apparent singularity is Really a diffusion of other meanings; etc. There are lots of ways to put this, but the point is, language does not "speak" the world of objects. Jupiter is taking that out there AS a term 'Jupiter' and, as Rorty said, there are no propositions "out there", only here, in us.

So back to the knife: Note that if it is to be used for Macbeth the sharpness as a good feature vanishes and becomes a bad feature, showing the contingency of good and bad. Now we ask the metaethical question: what about ethical goodness, what is it? This refers to the goodness and badness of the ethicality in all ethical issues, and ethical issues certainly are contingent, for as we all know, every ethical issue is tied up to the myriad facts in the world, and judgment of good and bad depends on these. But the metaethical question isn't asking about this or that issue, but ALL ethical issues: what makes ethics ethical? What is the essence of ethicality itself? And this turns to value, and value turns us away from language and toward the essential givenness of the world, (for which Husserl has provided us with a method, the phenomenological reduction {epoche}. I won't talk about Husserl, though. Too long a discussion. Just this: Husserl thought he had found to true foundation for a "science" of philosophy, which is the intuitive given or presence of the world that is presupposed by the natural sciences. But since this is ethics, I want to look at a reduction to the ethical.)

Now forget the knife and othe r examples of contingency (everything) and consider a strong ethical counter example to contingency: say it is the case that you have to choose to either torture horribly one one child for an entire day, or have tortured a thousand children over and over for a thousand years. The very clear choice in this would be to think in terms of sheer utility, and opt for the former. And here is the point: No matter how many children are in the equation, or really, how the suffering is characterized, the ethical decision in favor of sparing the thousand over the one does not one whit diminish the suffering of the one. It is not like the case of the knife where qualities can be conceived to be good or bad, depending on context. NO context can alter the essence of suffering, for suffering is not contextually bound. It is not contextually bound because the question is a metaquestion, an apriori question about suffering's essence, and this essence is existential. Here we have something that is apriori true AND is existential. It is not like the apriority of logic. Kant's transcendentalism refers to logic's pure rational basis, and note: logic, like all of our terms is contingent! That is, as Heidegger put it, we take those weird insistences like modus ponens and the law of the excluded middle AS language entities so we can talk about the world, but as such they are bound what language can say, and again, and this can't be said enough, language does not "speak" the world. But suffering is not language, it is IN the world's essential giveness AND it does "speak". Put a lit match to your finger and you are not going to have a language experience. And what is the world saying in this pain? Why, it's bad, of course. (And 'bad' belongs to language, one can see. One has to look into the "space" between the pain and the term. This matter goes to talk about qualia, the "pure" phenomenological pain itself; it goes to Moore's Principia Ethica where he speakls of a "non natural quality", and so on)

For me, this argument is profound, for it demonstrates something most believe impossible outside of religious faith, ethical absolutism. In religion, we have, say, Moses and the stone tablets written by God that speaks a moral finality. IF this were true, then it would be an absolute commandment to obey. One cannot argue this for it is apriori true given what God is assumed to be, the absolute! And absolutes are not to be denied by definition. Simple as that. But here, we take the matter beyond an historical narrative, merely, and into the world itself. The world "speaks" its ethicality. It is not the contrived apriority of St Anselm's Greatest Possible Being, or the disembodied rationality of Kant. It issues from existence itself. And to speak like Levinas, it is a transcendental commandment that we witness in the face of the Other.

And you can argue against this, certainly. But it is just a "tip of the iceberg" argument, the bulk of it unseen here. There are issues with language and contingency and presence and the nature of ethics and absolutes, and so on. There is a reason Wittgenstein insisted we cannot talk about metavalue and metaethics and analytic philosophers simply don't (for a good read on their side, I always recommend John Mackie's Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong. Soo well written, yet, so oblivious. Typical, really. Analytic philosophers love Wittgenstein because he made it clear that the unspeakable should remain just this, and so a program of clarity and positivism could rise up, and intellectuals want nothing more that this, to speak exactly and to find meaning in things with a firm grounding the totality of meanings across the spectrum of common sense and science. My thinking is that they don't really understand what it is to be human at all. Heidegger did, with Levinas and others in his wake building on his thought).

In a nutshell, that is my thought on absolutes. Husserl tried this with everything, ordinary perception with no references, mostly, the metaethics (meta aesthetic, meta value). Heidegger went another way, the way of hermeneutics, which is right, I think.

Ethics (and aesthetics), far and away, the strangest thing one can witness.
On the one hand philosophers like Wittgenstein and Heidegger have argued about an aspect of which one should not speak, since it cannot be captured within the context of language, while on the other hand there is the term Absolute that is to provide a qualitative basis for concepts such as ethical absolutism.

As substantiation for the idea you gave an example about suffering.
thrasymachus wrote: June 13th, 2023, 10:49 amBut suffering is not language, it is IN the world's essential giveness AND it does "speak". Put a lit match to your finger and you are not going to have a language experience. And what is the world saying in this pain? Why, it's bad, of course.
The idea that the world might be saying something (speaking) in the case of suffering seems to be invalid in my opinion.

It was argued that intentionality, the ability to have sensual attention for the world at all by which one could manifest suffering, must directly originate from the pure source of quality. Therefore, the world originates from ones ability to sense, which would include that suffering.

In the case of suffering one is dealing with a fundamental aspiration, the essence of value.

That aspiration concerns qualitative authenticity that in the face of the Other (which includes 'the world') fulfils the fundamental moral question "What is good?".

To return to the Absolute and ethical absolutism.

As mentioned in my previous reasoning I believe that one can at most claim that the world is an aspired world, and within that aspiration there is a place for moral good and wrong but the difference would be that it wouldn't be a pre-Given good or wrong and there is a responsibility within the context of the aspiration that originates from the pure source of quality to make the world good.

More simply said, I believe that morality is about the question "What is good?" rather than the determination of what is supposedly actually good.

When morality is fundamentally dependent on the question 'What is good?' that might give rise to the idea that morality is subjective but that isn't the case when one factors in the fundamental requirement of respect of the Other.

From this perspective, it is respect that fundamentally underlays the world and intelligence.

thrasymachus wrote: June 13th, 2023, 10:49 amThe world "speaks" its ethicality. It is not the contrived apriority of St Anselm's Greatest Possible Being, or the disembodied rationality of Kant. It issues from existence itself. And to speak like Levinas, it is a transcendental commandment that we witness in the face of the Other.
While I would agree with the notion of a transcendental commandment in the face of the Other, I would call that a fundamental requirement of respect which can be made evident by theory. Of course Levinas his work is evidence of that but there might be a lot more to it and it might also be possible to make it apparent in a more simple way, e.g. to translate to a strategic underbelly type of common sense reasoning that enables to convey an idea (the learning of which is often marked with a sort of giggle feeling of understanding of something that may not be entireably capture-able in language).

You are far more experienced than me and I have yet to read the works that you mentioned, starting with Husserl's Ideas. So I am going the give the idea of an Absolute and ethical absolutism a place on my todo list for further exploration.
value
It was argued that intentionality, the ability to have sensual attention for the world at all by which one could manifest suffering, must directly originate from the pure source of quality. Therefore, the world originates from ones ability to sense, which would include that suffering.

In the case of suffering one is dealing with a fundamental aspiration, the essence of value.

That aspiration concerns qualitative authenticity that in the face of the Other (which includes 'the world') fulfils the fundamental moral question "What is good?".
First just to say I prefer to talk about 'conscious experience 'rather than 'intentionality', which imo only usefully notes that experience IS its content (implied by experience having to be 'about' something). Using the term conscious experience is clearer, we all understand there 'is something it is like' to be 'gertie' or 'value', and a particular 'something it is like' to taste chocolate, see a tree, feel happy, pain, and have moral feelings of right and wrong about situations, to value our relationships, or feeling comfortable rather than suffering, etc.

So to address your point here, we can generally agree it is better to fele happy and well, rather than unhappy and suffering. That seems like a sound rough basis for value (tho lots of different things can bring about those 'what it is like' experiential states). If something makes an experiencing subject happy and well in some way, we value it, it feels good. My view is that this gets to the appropriate grounding for the concept of morality, it is morally good for experiencing subjects to be happy and well, and it's bad when we're not. Harris niftily summed up morality as promoting 'the welfare of conscious creatures', and I agree that's the appropriate way of thinking about morality, it gives us the appropriate type of foundation for grounding oughts.

So then the question arises of what is the source of this valuing of certain experiential states. And we have an evolutionary explanation about experiential reward systems like hunger, pain, caring, joy, love, guilt, etc arising as beneficial for our species of social mammals. Which is fine, it works perfectly well, and that really might be the end of it. Job done, we have the answer.

The possible problem with that explanation is that it uses a physicalist framing, it takes at face value that we are physical beings who evolved in particular ways, and surmises conscious experience emerged from those physical processes in ways which complement evolutionary fitness. But we don't know that conscious experience is a manifestation of physical processes, we don't understand the mind-body relationship, and we don't know the fundamental nature of reality, what is irreducible vs emergent, or if that's even the right type of framing.

So maybe conscious experience is fundamental, which could infer value is fundamental. Maybe panpsychism is on the right track, and value is woven into the fabric of physical stuff. Maybe energy (how ever you define it) is fundamental, with the ability to manifest both physical stuff and conscious experience...

These are broad cloth speculative 'What ifs', which do the explanatory job along with physicalism, but nobody knows how to test which is on the right track. The plus point physicalism has, is it is vastly detailed in its explanatory scope, empirically led, and predictive. It's a broad cloth 'What if' with the details filled in and evidence we can point to. But that doesn't mean it's right, or gets to the fundamental nature of reality. That's beyond our ability to test. If Scopenhauer or anybody else claims to know, then they're kidding themselves imo. But the least they should be able to do is be clear about their terms (like ''energy'') and be able to lay out their argument and/or evidence.
Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm value

First just to say I prefer to talk about 'conscious experience 'rather than 'intentionality', which imo only usefully notes that experience IS its content (implied by experience having to be 'about' something). Using the term conscious experience is clearer, we all understand there 'is something it is like' to be 'gertie' or 'value', and a particular 'something it is like' to taste chocolate, see a tree, feel happy, pain, and have moral feelings of right and wrong about situations, to value our relationships, or feeling comfortable rather than suffering, etc.

So to address your point here, we can generally agree it is better to fele happy and well, rather than unhappy and suffering. That seems like a sound rough basis for value (tho lots of different things can bring about those 'what it is like' experiential states). If something makes an experiencing subject happy and well in some way, we value it, it feels good. My view is that this gets to the appropriate grounding for the concept of morality, it is morally good for experiencing subjects to be happy and well, and it's bad when we're not. Harris niftily summed up morality as promoting 'the welfare of conscious creatures', and I agree that's the appropriate way of thinking about morality, it gives us the appropriate type of foundation for grounding oughts.

So then the question arises of what is the source of this valuing of certain experiential states. And we have an evolutionary explanation about experiential reward systems like hunger, pain, caring, joy, love, guilt, etc arising as beneficial for our species of social mammals. Which is fine, it works perfectly well, and that really might be the end of it. Job done, we have the answer.

The possible problem with that explanation is that it uses a physicalist framing, it takes at face value that we are physical beings who evolved in particular ways, and surmises conscious experience emerged from those physical processes in ways which complement evolutionary fitness. But we don't know that conscious experience is a manifestation of physical processes, we don't understand the mind-body relationship, and we don't know the fundamental nature of reality, what is irreducible vs emergent, or if that's even the right type of framing.

So maybe conscious experience is fundamental, which could infer value is fundamental. Maybe panpsychism is on the right track, and value is woven into the fabric of physical stuff. Maybe energy (how ever you define it) is fundamental, with the ability to manifest both physical stuff and conscious experience...

These are broad cloth speculative 'What ifs', which do the explanatory job along with physicalism, but nobody knows how to test which is on the right track. The plus point physicalism has, is it is vastly detailed in its explanatory scope, empirically led, and predictive. It's a broad cloth 'What if' with the details filled in and evidence we can point to. But that doesn't mean it's right, or gets to the fundamental nature of reality. That's beyond our ability to test. If Scopenhauer or anybody else claims to know, then they're kidding themselves imo. But the least they should be able to do is be clear about their terms (like ''energy'') and be able to lay out their argument and/or evidence.
I've always wondered why philosophy is investigating the concept consciousness as if it is something special compared to life.

In my opinion the only thing that is special about consciousness other than what empirically can be said of it, is that it is life, and one should only look at what makes life special, which fundamentally is just one thing: 'the specificity (quality) in life's directional energetic organizing behaviour'.

I recently used this concept to have an AI understand that life requires a fundamental (a priori) source of energy (this is the reason why I became very interested to discuss Magee's and Copleston's vision about Shopenhauer's metaphysical Will and the motivation for their argument that it should have been named Energy).

Firstly, I managed to have the AI establish that the specificity in life's directional energetic organizing behaviour is the most fundamental characteristic of life.

Secondly, I managed to have it conclude that the specificity (directedness) of life's energetic organizing behaviour is work by itself, of which it would then naturally follow that it requires energy, although that energy would need to be an 'ability' of an aspect that cannot be named.

Thirdly, I managed to get the AI to overcome the idea that life just requires a posteriori energy to sustain it, and that the energy required for the most fundamental characteristic of life must be a priori to life.

The resulting conclusion by AI:

"It is correct to state that the specificity in the life's specific directional energetic organizing behavior is work by itself for which energy is required[1][2]. Energy is defined as the ability to do work or to create some kind of change, and all living organisms require energy to perform their life processes[1][2][3]. The specific direction of the work involved in life's energetic organizing behavior requires a specific source of energy that cannot originate from random spontaneous sources in the environment[1][2]. Therefore, a specific source of energy is required to explain the specific direction of the work involved in life's energetic organizing behavior, and this energy is fundamental to life because it is required for a characteristic of life that is fundamental to life[1][2][3]. The specificity in the life's specific directional energetic organizing behavior is a key characteristic of life and is work by itself for which energy is required."

My idea is that the ability of neutrino's to change their mass influence from within themselves might be a potential source of the 'specific' energy required.

To return to your notion about conscious-intentionality.

My opinion is that intentionality concerns the source of life because it is established (as per the above) that the specifity (directionality) of life's energetic organizing behaviour is the most fundamental characteristic of life that requires an a priori source of energy (a type of energy however that comes out of an aspect that cannot be named).

Intentionality therefore seems to be the pure source of quality in the world and therewith the origin of the universe rather than a mere aspect of conscious experience.
thrasymachus wrote: June 13th, 2023, 11:13 am
Gertie wrote
I watched the video a while back, but didn't get much from it except they seemed to be re-defining S's Will as physical energy, and that energy as fundamental. Which is physics. If the boffins who study physics tell me that, then that's their field and I'll listen to them.
But you have to see that Schopenhauer was following through on Kant. "Will" is intended to be a transcendental term, one especially conceived our of observations of the interiority of a human being (and that of a cow or a paramecium). Such interiority is metaphysicality itself! And what a nightmare! Energy "does" this, and this gives energy an ethical dimension. But the way we use this term energy, it has a connotative setting of natural science that is entirely alien to this metaethical dimension. See in the conversation how both interlocutors agree that energy hardly be called "wicked"! And then at 23:40 listen to Magee's paraphrasal of the text. THAT is what needs accounting for when talking about what Will is.
Hereby the transcript:

Bryan Magee: um i mean one wouldn't naturally be led to think of energy as revolting i was not revolting at least i wouldn't um and certainly not as wicked and so well that's what i meant it has this definite attitude towards the ultimate real and towards its manifestation of course this world empirical world but now perhaps we can as it were change our attack a little and confront that head-on up to this point in our discussion we've been sketching what schopenhauer's picture.

Coplestone: yes of reality was what he thought the overall picture was now let's talk about his attitude towards it he thought that the world was an appalling place a terrible place he thought it was full of injustice disease repression ... that at the hospitals and prisons of the world were full of people going through the most appalling sufferings and tortures that nature was read in tooth and claw that in every hour of every day thousands upon thousands of animals are tearing each other to pieces alive and devouring each other alive and that the whole thing is a sort of appalling nightmare it's an incredible vision and it's expressed in prose of such dramatic power that no one who's ever read it is likely to forget it but that was his view wasn't it of the way things are and therefore that the underlying metaphysical reality must be such as to express itself in these terms and must therefore be something terrible something nightmarish that's why he is renowned quite rightly for being a pessimist the pessimist above all philosophers the bleak black view of reality.

I've noticed your arguments with regard suffering and its foundation for ethical absolutism. Can you please explain how you would relate to the views of Schopenhauer.
thrasymachus wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:03 am NO context can alter the essence of suffering, for suffering is not contextually bound. It is not contextually bound because the question is a metaquestion, an apriori question about suffering's essence, and this essence is existential. Here we have something that is apriori true AND is existential. It is not like the apriority of logic.
Do you share Schopenhauer's pessimist view on reality, and the idea that existence if fundamentally about suffering?

I believe that it might be wrong to reflect on cruelty in nature since it could fuel cruelty and lead to barbarism.

My view is the following:

"Within the context of reason, there is no place for evil."

There is a potential in reason that isn't contained within history. One might say that it is reasonable to prevent suffering, but what about the idea of concepts on the opposite side of the spectrum, related to human performance?

Studies have shown that learning from positive outcomes can make people learn faster when it concerns a path to success.

I've cited his work before in another topic. An example is the theory by professor Kim Cameron (Ross School of Business). The theory describes that organisms naturally move in the direction of the positive similar to how plants move in the direction of the light and he proposes the concept positive deviance.

With positive deviance one will need to address concepts such as "Beyond Health" which requires concepts such as Virtue and Compassion. It is very interesting to see in his work how humanity is almost always looking at the world from the negative side of the spectrum while his theory attempts to make a case for the potential of the opposite side.

While it may seem a dusty business related theory that may have some ground in philosophical ideas, there may be more to it when it concerns the idea that life is fundamentally about suffering. His theory might attempt to prove (using a lot of interesting and related studies) that the opposite is (or can be) the case.

Dr. Kim Cameron's research focuses on virtuousness in and of organizations, such as forgiveness, gratitude, kindness, and compassion, and their relationship to performance. Dr. Cameron is William Russell Kelly Professor of Management and Organizations in the Ross School of Business.

Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm First just to say I prefer to talk about 'conscious experience 'rather than 'intentionality', which imo only usefully notes that experience IS its content (implied by experience having to be 'about' something). Using the term conscious experience is clearer, we all understand there 'is something it is like' to be 'gertie' or 'value', and a particular 'something it is like' to taste chocolate, see a tree, feel happy, pain, and have moral feelings of right and wrong about situations, to value our relationships, or feeling comfortable rather than suffering, etc.
My previous reply addressed the notion that in philosophical discussions, consciousness is almost always considered as an independent concept as if it is special to life, while in my view it is life that makes consciousness special.

With regard your argument that it would be better to talk about conscious experience than intentionality, I would not agree. While it might be so within an utilitarian context, e.g. psychology, when it concerns the aspect that defines the essence of consciousness, the aspect that should be examined in a search to explain consciousness, it is intentionality in my opinion.

Intentionality is what fundamentally gives conscious experience quality.

Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pmSo to address your point here, we can generally agree it is better to fele happy and well, rather than unhappy and suffering. That seems like a sound rough basis for value (tho lots of different things can bring about those 'what it is like' experiential states). If something makes an experiencing subject happy and well in some way, we value it, it feels good. My view is that this gets to the appropriate grounding for the concept of morality, it is morally good for experiencing subjects to be happy and well, and it's bad when we're not. Harris niftily summed up morality as promoting 'the welfare of conscious creatures', and I agree that's the appropriate way of thinking about morality, it gives us the appropriate type of foundation for grounding oughts.
As mentioned in my previous post concerning positive deviance, I believe that there is a 'beyond' that can be morally aspired in the form of a fundamental respect for the Other (a concept by Levinas). That 'Other' can be described as a context Other than what existed but not irrelevant. Morality would involve the eternal question "What is good?" in the face of that Other and in a way that question would fundamentally underlay the world in the form of signification (the act of valuing).

I have the following simple theoretical consideration about life and the applicability of a sort of Energy that may be described by Schopenhauer's metaphysical Will.

It seems common sense to me that life requires a fundamental topical energy source that is a priori to life's sensing of the world.

Subjective experience would not originate from within the matter of the organism but externally, from a context that cannot be a pattern, e.g. a context Other than what existed but not irrelevant. One might consider that context beginning-less of nature, since it is the origin of the 'begin' by which subjectivity is manifested.

Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pmSo then the question arises of what is the source of this valuing of certain experiential states. And we have an evolutionary explanation about experiential reward systems like hunger, pain, caring, joy, love, guilt, etc arising as beneficial for our species of social mammals. Which is fine, it works perfectly well, and that really might be the end of it. Job done, we have the answer.
The act of valuing is signification of which Levinas wrote the following:

"in renouncing intentionality as a guiding thread toward the eidos [formal structure] of the psyche … our analysis will follow sensibility in its pre-natural signification to the maternal, where, in proximity [to what is not itself], signification signifies before it gets bent into perseverance in being in the midst of a Nature. (OBBE: 68, emph. added) "
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/levinas/

According to Levinas, signification (the act of valuing and thus the source of value in the world) arises out of the ethical relationship with the Other. This would imply that respect fundamentally underlays the world and intelligence, which is a view that I have been developing myself.

In Levinas's view, the origin of signification (the act of valuing) is deeply connected to the ethical relationship with the Other. He posits that the face-to-face relationship between two people is where the other person's otherness remains intact, and it is in this relationship that signification arises. This ethical relation is characterized by a sense of responsibility for the Other, which precedes any cultural elaboration or organization of meaning.

Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pmThe possible problem with that explanation is that it uses a physicalist framing, it takes at face value that we are physical beings who evolved in particular ways, and surmises conscious experience emerged from those physical processes in ways which complement evolutionary fitness. But we don't know that conscious experience is a manifestation of physical processes, we don't understand the mind-body relationship, and we don't know the fundamental nature of reality, what is irreducible vs emergent, or if that's even the right type of framing.

The idea that consciousness is fundamental to the universe is a strange idea in my opinion. Firstly, why wouldn't it naturally be more logical to argue that it is 'life' that is fundamental since it seems obvious that life is fundamental to consciousness?

Value is dependent on the act of valuing thus cannot logically be fundamental.

What's left in my opinion is the act of valuing itself, on behalf of the pure source of quality, a concept that is beginning-less and boundless of nature.
value wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:28 pm
Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm value

I've always wondered why philosophy is investigating the concept consciousness as if it is something special compared to life.
Probably because physicalism now gives an explanatory account of life which is reducible to the fundamental physical forces acting on fundamental particles. But not conscious experience, which has radically different properties with no apparent emergent mechanism (the explanatory gap). Hence that opens the door to critiques of physicalism like might experience be fundamental, as Idealists and Panpsychists claim.
In my opinion the only thing that is special about consciousness other than what empirically can be said of it, is that it is life, and one should only look at what makes life special, which fundamentally is just one thing: 'the specificity (quality) in life's directional energetic organizing behaviour'.
That assumes that daffodils and maybe bacteria have some special energetic quality, which say crystals and minerals don't. That looks like it needs unpacking.

But generally the difference is identified as conscious experience, which has this special 'what it is like' qualiative nature. Where-as you can say a crystal forms a structure in a way which looks consistently directed towards specific outcomes, or colliding snooker balls interact in a way which looks specific and directed (and therefore predictable), but can be explained by physics without invoking conscious experience. Where-as we humans know we have this extra qualiative 'what it is like' experience (and assume other critters which are similarly organic with brains probably have some form it too).
I recently used this concept to have an AI understand that life requires a fundamental (a priori) source of energy (this is the reason why I became very interested to discuss Magee's and Copleston's vision about Shopenhauer's metaphysical Will and the motivation for their argument that it should have been named Energy).

Firstly, I managed to have the AI establish that the specificity in life's directional energetic organizing behaviour is the most fundamental characteristic of life.

Secondly, I managed to have it conclude that the specificity (directedness) of life's energetic organizing behaviour is work by itself, of which it would then naturally follow that it requires energy, although that energy would need to be an 'ability' of an aspect that cannot be named.

Thirdly, I managed to get the AI to overcome the idea that life just requires a posteriori energy to sustain it, and that the energy required for the most fundamental characteristic of life must be a priori to life.

The resulting conclusion by AI:

"It is correct to state that the specificity in the life's specific directional energetic organizing behavior is work by itself for which energy is required[1][2]. Energy is defined as the ability to do work or to create some kind of change, and all living organisms require energy to perform their life processes[1][2][3]. The specific direction of the work involved in life's energetic organizing behavior requires a specific source of energy that cannot originate from random spontaneous sources in the environment[1][2]. Therefore, a specific source of energy is required to explain the specific direction of the work involved in life's energetic organizing behavior, and this energy is fundamental to life because it is required for a characteristic of life that is fundamental to life[1][2][3]. The specificity in the life's specific directional energetic organizing behavior is a key characteristic of life and is work by itself for which energy is required."
I'd just note that if you frame the question in terms of energy, you'll get an answer which references that framing. And the answer you got is that energy is necessary for life, and life develops in an organised way. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. Physics would say, as I understand it (not much!) that the fundamental driving force are the fundamental physical forces, which do act on particles in specific ways with specific organised outcomes.

My idea is that the ability of neutrino's to change their mass influence from within themselves might be a potential source of the 'specific' energy required.
OK. You'd probably need to put that to experts in the field (def not me).
To return to your notion about conscious-intentionality.

My opinion is that intentionality concerns the source of life because it is established (as per the above) that the specifity (directionality) of life's energetic organizing behaviour is the most fundamental characteristic of life that requires an a priori source of energy (a type of energy however that comes out of an aspect that cannot be named).

Intentionality therefore seems to be the pure source of quality in the world and therewith the origin of the universe rather than a mere aspect of conscious experience.
My understanding of the meaning of intentionality is that it concerns the aspect of 'aboutness' which conscious experience has. The way I think of this is to recognise that conscious experience IS its content. There is therefore no such thing as contentless experience, because to be conscious is necessarily to be conscious of something, to be experiencing something, be 'about' something. But 'aboutness' isn't the defining essence of the special qualiative difference imo (stories are about something, physics is about something), it's the qualiative 'what it's like' experience-ness. (imo Nagel nailed it, Dennett has his own agenda with his prioritising framing of 'aboutness').
Gertie wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:08 pm
value wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:28 pmI've always wondered why philosophy is investigating the concept consciousness as if it is something special compared to life.
Probably because physicalism now gives an explanatory account of life which is reducible to the fundamental physical forces acting on fundamental particles. But not conscious experience, which has radically different properties with no apparent emergent mechanism (the explanatory gap). Hence that opens the door to critiques of physicalism like might experience be fundamental, as Idealists and Panpsychists claim.
A recent news item seems to suggest the contrary:

Decades-long bet on consciousness ends — and it’s philosopher 1, neuroscientist 0
Despite a vast effort — and a 25-year bet — researchers still don’t understand how our brains produce it, however. “It started off as a very big philosophical mystery,” says David Chalmers. “But over the years, it’s gradually been transmuting into a ‘scientific’ mystery.”
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02120-8

The philosophical quest about the nature and origin of consciousness is still completely open. There is not a single clue as of today that consciousness is 'produced' in the brain.

value wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:28 pmIn my opinion the only thing that is special about consciousness other than what empirically can be said of it, is that it is life, and one should only look at what makes life special, which fundamentally is just one thing: 'the specificity (quality) in life's directional energetic organizing behaviour'.
Gertie wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:08 pmThat assumes that daffodils and maybe bacteria have some special energetic quality, which say crystals and minerals don't. That looks like it needs unpacking.
Not necessarily. In fact, there is some evidence that life might have started in crystals and minerals.

A recent study discovered that rocks and minerals on Earth developed the first photosynthesis to produce oxygen that helped life on Earth to become possible.

(2021) Non-classical photosynthesis by earth's inorganic semiconducting minerals
Our work in this new research field on the mechanisms of interaction between light, minerals, and life reveals that minerals and organisms are actually inseparable. ... producing hydrogen and oxygen from water
https://phys.org/news/2021-01-non-class ... cting.html

Here is the latest on crystal science in 2023:

While scientists have made progress in understanding crystal growth, the process is still a mystery. Here are some reasons why crystals cannot be fully explained by physics today:
  1. The fluctuations in the solvation shell are key molecular events that explain how crystals form, and knowledge of this mechanism has been missing since the inception of crystallization research.
  2. While scientists have identified a general mechanism governing crystal growth that they can manipulate when developing new materials, they still do not understand how crystals grow or how to efficiently manufacture them.
  3. Physics doesn't understand the forces that cause particles to move and combine to form crystals. The theory of crystal growth from the melt distinguishes between two major mechanisms: non-uniform lateral growth and uniform normal growth, but the forces that cause particles to move and combine are not understood.
  4. While scientists have shown how nature uses a variety of pathways to grow crystals beyond the classical, one-piece-at-a-time route, there are still many aspects of their formation that are shrouded in mystery.
So in general it can be said that physics knows little about crystal formation and there is a lot of mystery involved as what is shaping them.

Perhaps crystal formation is related to the force (energy) of life.

And if that were to be so, and if that force were to have to add up to 'conscious experience', then it seems to me that in crystal formation a basis might exist to explore the fundamental root of conscious experience in humans. And in my opinion that fundamental root would be the pure source of quality that is manifested into the world through directionality and that within conscious experience is manifested as intentionality.

Gertie wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:08 pmBut generally the difference is identified as conscious experience, which has this special 'what it is like' qualiative nature. Where-as you can say a crystal forms a structure in a way which looks consistently directed towards specific outcomes, or colliding snooker balls interact in a way which looks specific and directed (and therefore predictable), but can be explained by physics without invoking conscious experience. Where-as we humans know we have this extra qualiative 'what it is like' experience (and assume other critters which are similarly organic with brains probably have some form it too).
What is the evidence that crystal growth can be explained by deterministic physics?

Gertie wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:08 pmI'd just note that if you frame the question in terms of energy, you'll get an answer which references that framing. And the answer you got is that energy is necessary for life, and life develops in an organised way. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. Physics would say, as I understand it (not much!) that the fundamental driving force are the fundamental physical forces, which do act on particles in specific ways with specific organised outcomes.
I would disagree. The fundamental physical forces act in a way to determine while life's organizing behaviour deviates from what is determined to create something of which it cannot be said that it was determined.

Life seeks to break free from the determined foundation by which it came about to return to its own origin as it were.

Gertie wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:08 pmOK. You'd probably need to put that to experts in the field (def not me).
Not necessarily, it might concern a crossing-point for science since [the ability to change mass influence from within the neutrino] might concern the pure source of quality that through neutrinos manifests in the world.

So it might be that philosophy will have to 'take it from there' and again have a leading position for further advancement (or perhaps it will invent a new method such as the scientific method that it once invented).

Gertie wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:08 pmMy understanding of the meaning of intentionality is that it concerns the aspect of 'aboutness' which conscious experience has. The way I think of this is to recognise that conscious experience IS its content. There is therefore no such thing as contentless experience, because to be conscious is necessarily to be conscious of something, to be experiencing something, be 'about' something. But 'aboutness' isn't the defining essence of the special qualiative difference imo (stories are about something, physics is about something), it's the qualiative 'what it's like' experience-ness. (imo Nagel nailed it, Dennett has his own agenda with his prioritising framing of 'aboutness').
The aboutness that you describe is a fundamental ability that cannot originate from within conscious experience as the term would suggest because without it there would be no world to be conscious of in the first place. There it is seen that fundamentally intentionality must lay at the root of conscious experience and not the opposite around.
I assume by the term "energy" you do not mean the empirically understood, and scientifically based understanding of energy that normal and sensible people mean by the term?

What you mean is the hippie-dippie; muesli-trouser wearing; crystal gazing; dream web catching; Tarot card wielding spooky "energeeee"?
Is that correct?
Sculptor1 wrote: June 26th, 2023, 1:10 pm I assume by the term "energy" you do not mean the empirically understood, and scientifically based understanding of energy that normal and sensible people mean by the term?
Officially energy is 'an ability to do work' thus when one intends to replace Schopenhauer's metaphysical Will with the term Energy one would be obligated to answer the question "What has an ability?".

The confusion arises from the idea that a directional type of manifestation is to be considered 'work'. This makes the topic very interesting in my opinion when it is attempted to defend the notion that Schopenhauer's Will is to be considered Energy.

Sculptor1 wrote: June 26th, 2023, 1:10 pmWhat you mean is the hippie-dippie; muesli-trouser wearing; crystal gazing; dream web catching; Tarot card wielding spooky "energeeee"?
Is that correct?
Yes, it concerns the hippie-dippie type of energy when one considers that the 'unnamed' origin of the work that one attempts to explain equally has no determined destination, which allows for a spiritual and dream-of-beyond type of perception of that energy. In a sense, the perception of beauty in a crystal could give one a glimpse of something that isn't contained within that crystal, which could incite a spiritual experience.

Something similar may happen with for example moss balls. Recently it was discovered that moss balls are roaming the North Pole in flocks similar to birds and fish.

Herds of moss balls mysteriously roam the North Pole together
Glacier mice (moss balls) live on the ice and move by rolling. Scientists recently discovered that they move in herds across the ice. The moss is not propelled by a slope, the wind or the sun, but the group moves in sync. The glacier moss balls move together across the ice. Bartholomaus compares this to a school of fish or a flock of birds.”
https://gmodebate.org/moss-balls/

Moss balls are kept as a pet across the world. https://mossballpets.com/

Whether it is wrong to use a spiritual perception is debatable. Is the belief in a fake pill or medical lie any better?

Learning one’s genetic risk changes physiology independent of actual genetic risk
In an interesting twist to the enduring nature vs. nurture debate, a new study from Stanford University finds that just thinking you’re prone to a given outcome may trump both nature and nurture. In fact, simply believing a physical reality about yourself can actually nudge the body in that direction—sometimes even more than actually being prone to the reality.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562- ... -behaviour

My personal opinion (as advocated since 2009): the human should evolve and master the potential that is evident in for example the placebo effect. A dream-of-beyond type of perspective may not need to be facilitated by religious or superstitious means to be effective.

It is a general wisdom in professional top sport training that a high percentage of winning capacity originates in the human mind (Will) and not in genetics or physiology.

accenture.jpg
accenture.jpg (69.49 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Bearing in mind what Value means by 'energy', I don't think Schoppenhauer's "will " should be named energy.

This is because will is a psychological concept which implies the psychological attitude of looking to the future whereas energy (not the hippie dippy 'energy' !)
is not alive, not psychological, and is mindless.
Gertie wrote
Don't think about intentionality yet. First get the epoche and the direction it takes one. Husserl's is a method, not an abstract argument. Take this cup before me which I recognize in all the usual ways. What is it that makes it so familiar? It is the "predelineation" of the affair. In Heidegger's terms, roughly speaking, seeing the cup is an historical event, always already cups and their places, uses, features and so on "ready to hand" as Heidegger put it, an established affair. And this cup here is an instantiation. (This kind of thinking is sort of derivative of Kant/Hegel, in part: When we observe an object, it is the universal that is deployed in understanding what lies before me that gives us the knowledge claim about the object. Hence the "rational realism" of this kind of thinking.) The presence apart from this is impossible, for the understanding is not intuitive but historical. So the cup is already understood Prior to the actual encounter because memory pre-cognizes, you might say, in an automatic processes of our existence, you know, waiting for a bus or planning dinner. You look at your watch already aware of what watches do, how they look, and the rest. This is a key part of what phenomenologists are telling us, that a descriptive account of what lies before you at the basic level of inquiry finds TIME to be most fundamental, and time has a structure that goes back to Augustine (see his Confessions, bk 11): past present and future. this is internal or subjective time, not everyday time and not Einstein's time, but the more elementary presupposed time that is about the structure of consciousness that receives the world in the first place, before Einstein could even begin. I observe the world in a past/present/future continuum; I AM a past/present/future continuum. Objects are events-in-time and outside of this is nonsense because knowledge claims at all are inherently time claims. Again, very important to see this on this point, because the epoche is telling us to reduce this temporal setting only to the most bare essentials such that when I see a fence post I suspend everything I know about fence posts, and leave the bare presence of what-is-no-longer-a-fence post to reveal itself.

This suspension or "bracketing" has been called the German gelassenheit, a term used by Amish and others. It is a yielding, if not to God, then to the world to see as clearly as possible, free of the presumptions of interpretation. And this is at the heart of givenness discussed here. Just the opposite, really, of what you call prejudgment. Much closer to the Buddhist's world in which judgment is altogether suspended. The simple "thereness" of the world is allowed to come forth.

Of course, this is much debated, and sad to say this kind of thing is why philosophy has such trouble. We are simply put together differently. A dyed in the wool analytic Anglo American philosopher will not touch such thinking for givenness is just impossible to conceive (Wittgenstein's influence and the positivism he encouraged). On the other hand. Is this right? Yes and no. One cannot deny that without language all one can do is stare mindlessly, like an infant child, for it is in this symbolic existence of ours that the edifice of knowledge is built.

But does this invalidate intuitive knowledge? Yes, for the most part. Knowledge is propositional, and as Rorty put it, there are no propositions "out there." Propositions don't reach out to other things. They don't have this "reaching out" epistemic. But what of Value? As an example, it is not like the color yellow: reduce yellow to the mere qualia of being appeared to in a yellow way, and frankly you run directly into Heidegger's (and Kierkegaard's) famous "nothing". See Heidegger's What Is Metaphysics? You can argue the yellow qua yellow remains "other than" the knowledge claim about yellow, but when you try to give this analysis, it falls flat, and one finds oneself in Heidegger's world of hermeneutics. there is this great passage from Heidegger's Origin of the Work of Art that makes this world pretty clear:

What art is should be inferable from the work. What the work of art is we can come
to know only from the nature of art. Anyone can easily see that we are moving in a
circle. Ordinary understanding demands that this circle be avoided because it violates
logic. What art is can be gathered from a comparative examination of actual art works.
But how are we to be certain that we are indeed basing such an examination on art
works if we do not know beforehand what art is? And the nature of art can no more be
arrived at by a derivation from higher concepts than by a collection of characteristics
of actual art works. For such a derivation, too, already has in view the characteristics

that must suffice to establish that what we take in advance to be an art work is one in
fact. But selecting works from among given objects, and deriving concepts from principles,
are equally impossible here, and where these procedures are practiced they are a
self-deception.
Thus we are compelled to follow the circle. This is neither a makeshift nor a defect.
To enter upon this path is the strength of thought, to continue on it is the feast of
thought, assuming that thinking is a craft.
Not only is the main step from work to art a
circle like the step from art to work, but every separate step that we attempt circles in
this circle.

My underscores. You see how Heidegger's mind works? Forget about there being some world "out there". There is only this world, our dasein, which is our existence, and IN this dasein, others and Others, things and people that are NOT me, make an appearance. This is not idealism.

To understand what my favorite French post Husserlians are saying, one has to step back from this strong hermeneutics, and encounter the world anew. It is in ethics and aesthetics that the world speaks! Now, you take issue with this:
On the one hand philosophers like Wittgenstein and Heidegger have argued about an aspect of which one should not speak, since it cannot be captured within the context of language, while on the other hand there is the term Absolute that is to provide a qualitative basis for concepts such as ethical absolutism.

This "aspect" you speak of is traditional metaphysics, which presumes to speak of absolute foundations of being. As with Leibniz's monadology or Spinoza's Substance or Platonic forms and so on. The idea I defend takes a rather delicate look at this. Husserl thought there was something undeniable in just being in the midst of the world, and this was the intuitive grasp of the bare presence of things. Not a tree, but a structured presence of time, object relations, static and genetic phenomenology, and on and on. This guy is meticulous! His reasoning is that pure phenomena discovered in the epoche are intuitive absolutes---can you really deny something is occurring now? You can play Descartes with many things that are said about what is happening, but you cannot deny there is a presence before you. And, since epistemology and ontology are simply two sides to the same coin, this indubitability translates as an ontological absolute, a claim about What Is, about Being. So how is it that one can possibly apprehend an absolute? Only through an identifiable form of discovery, and this would be phenomenology. The "eidetic" essence of an object must include an epistemic dimension, a way to know it, simply because we do in fact know it. This makes knowledge at this level absolute, if still a work in progress.
Heidegger thinks Husserl is trying to walk on water. Derrida thinks Heidegger is trying to walk on water (see John Caputo's account of this in his Radical Hermeneutics). In steps Levinas, the post-contra-Heideggerian" Heidegger is right accept he leaves out the most important part, ethics and the absolute of ethics! I won't go into this because it gets too entangled in the details and frankly I am still working on this. But consider, Levinas's face of suffering in the Other presupposes (begs the questions about) an analysis of metaethics (and metaaesthetics, says Wittgenstein), that is, the question about the nature of the ethical "good" and "bad". I think the argument I laid out shows how this analysis has to go.
The idea that the world might be saying something (speaking) in the case of suffering seems to be invalid in my opinion.
Proof is in the pudding: stick your hand in a pot of boiling water. Is there any ambiguity in this? There IS ambiguity in more entangled affairs, for example, if sticking your hand is boiling water will deliver others from some other suffering, then one has to weigh the matter, working through a culture's established thinking and sentiment, perhaps; but such entanglements (and most ethical problems are embedded in this, and are thereby made ambiguous) are factual in nature, and facts are contingent (you would have to work this one out: facts contingent? The moon being closer to the earth than the sun, contingent?? Yes, because facts are language constructs, and language is "made" not discovered. I don't know how your thinking goes here, but for me, it is a foregone conclusion. You can argue about this. It is a worthy discussion). When I say the world speaks, it goes no further than the pure phenomenon one encounters in the scalding of the flesh. This is not a language event, and all we can and should do is describe it. That is phenomenology (it is also the way natural sciences work, of course). Of course, we take up the pain IN language as I am now writing about it, but there is something going on here that is not like the usual qualia, not like being-redly-appeared-to, as they say. that powerful sensation of boiling water on living flesh is an affair of radical Value. It tells us this is bad. But this term 'bad' belongs to language and propositional expressions, and, as Rorty put it, propositions are not "out there" just as truth is not out there. They are only in a language "game", and this obviously goes to Wittgenstein's insistence that value cannot be spoken: language games are contextualizations, and this grounds truth in contingency(Rorty has a serious problem defending his ethics, given his denial that there is a metaphysics of ethics, as there is no such thing as metaphysics at all! See Simon Critchley's critical paper, which I can't find now or I'd name it).

As you've noticed about phenomenology, "out there" and "in here" are not to be conceived as localized and separate. This is a very hard part of the equation. The stone I see is not, nor can it ever be conceived as apart from the Being that encompasses us both. It is not that its Being IS an idea in my head. Rather, it is that AS OTHER than my self, something "over there" and "not me", it is transcendence. That stone in its phenomenological over thereness (meaning, look; it's over there, and it's not me. this is what the descriptive account tells us) transcends my Being. Husserl held that because of the nexus of intentionality, we are thereby epistemically connected to the stone in the requisite way to validate a knowledge claim at the intuitive level (and the "naturalistic" level). Levinas, I believe thus far in reading him, holds this as well, but in his thinking, there is a metaphysics of alterity in the Other person that imposes an ethical imposition on our existence. As above, I see, and I refer to my claim in this, the deeper presupposition in this thinking: what IS the pure phenomenon of, call it positive and negative value? For this descriptive account, one needs to go to the determinative source, which is in the concrete actuality, the "presence" or the "givenness" of the reduced phenomenon itself. See Michel Henry and the way he underscores the clarity of the feels and smells and sights that one takes in once the presumptive interpretative field has been cleared. This is a Husserlian move to release the stone from, to put it simply, memory. This should sound a bit familiar. It is aligned with the Zen koan and the meditative approach to enlightenment. Husserl, of course, was no Buddhist. He was, as Derrida calls him, a Greek!--for he favored a systematic and "scientific" thesis for philosophical enlightenment. But what really happens when one starts "reducing" the world to its essential givenness? Practicing this daily? For me what happens is something quite impossible, by contemporary standards.

As mentioned in my previous reasoning I believe that one can at most claim that the world is an aspired world, and within that aspiration there is a place for moral good and wrong but the difference would be that it wouldn't be a pre-Given good or wrong and there is a responsibility within the context of the aspiration that originates from the pure source of quality to make the world good.

More simply said, I believe that morality is about the question "What is good?" rather than the determination of what is supposedly actually good.

When morality is fundamentally dependent on the question 'What is good?' that might give rise to the idea that morality is subjective but that isn't the case when one factors in the fundamental requirement of respect of the Other.

From this perspective, it is respect that fundamentally underlays the world and intelligence.
I would have to get back to you this. I don't off hand recall his The Set of Problems Pertaining to Noetic-Noematic Structures in chapter four of part three of IDEAS I, and this is where Husserl's discussion lies. As I see it, and partially recall, Value as such is discovered in the "hyletic data" which will be later taken up as "givenness" (see Being Given by Jean luc Marion). I don't recall how Husserl dealt with it, exactly, but I am sure he systematized it and, contra Levinas who is explicitly a religious thinker, failed to see the profound nature of this. Very strong systematic thinkers are almost always dismissive of Value simply because they do not experience the world with any affective priority. Husserl talks a lot about intuition, but he is no "intuitionist" and certainly not a mystic. Quite the opposite.

But then, I am a "threshold" existentialist, a mystic in the Eckhartian sense. I defend a thesis of radical indeterminacy that assaults one's sensibilities at the "end" of the Husserlian reduction. This reduction has a radical Eastern counterpart, which is "neti neti" or, as we call it, apophatic theology: approaching God through negation of established interpositioned knowledge claims.
Value wrote
Don't think about intentionality yet. First get the epoche and the direction it takes one. Husserl's is a method, not an abstract argument. Take this cup before me which I recognize in all the usual ways. What is it that makes it so familiar? It is the "predelineation" of the affair. In Heidegger's terms, roughly speaking, seeing the cup is an historical event, always already cups and their places, uses, features and so on "ready to hand" as Heidegger put it, an established affair. And this cup here is an instantiation. (This kind of thinking is sort of derivative of Kant/Hegel, in part: When we observe an object, it is the universal that is deployed in understanding what lies before me that gives us the knowledge claim about the object. Hence the "rational realism" of this kind of thinking.) The presence apart from this is impossible, for the understanding is not intuitive but historical. So the cup is already understood Prior to the actual encounter because memory pre-cognizes, you might say, in an automatic processes of our existence, you know, waiting for a bus or planning dinner. You look at your watch already aware of what watches do, how they look, and the rest. This is a key part of what phenomenologists are telling us, that a descriptive account of what lies before you at the basic level of inquiry finds TIME to be most fundamental, and time has a structure that goes back to Augustine (see his Confessions, bk 11): past present and future. this is internal or subjective time, not everyday time and not Einstein's time, but the more elementary presupposed time that is about the structure of consciousness that receives the world in the first place, before Einstein could even begin. I observe the world in a past/present/future continuum; I AM a past/present/future continuum. Objects are events-in-time and outside of this is nonsense because knowledge claims at all are inherently time claims. Again, very important to see this on this point, because the epoche is telling us to reduce this temporal setting only to the most bare essentials such that when I see a fence post I suspend everything I know about fence posts, and leave the bare presence of what-is-no-longer-a-fence post to reveal itself.

This suspension or "bracketing" has been called the German gelassenheit, a term used by Amish and others. It is a yielding, if not to God, then to the world to see as clearly as possible, free of the presumptions of interpretation. And this is at the heart of givenness discussed here. Just the opposite, really, of what you call prejudgment. Much closer to the Buddhist's world in which judgment is altogether suspended. The simple "thereness" of the world is allowed to come forth.

Of course, this is much debated, and sad to say this kind of thing is why philosophy has such trouble. We are simply put together differently. A dyed in the wool analytic Anglo American philosopher will not touch such thinking for givenness is just impossible to conceive (Wittgenstein's influence and the positivism he encouraged). On the other hand. Is this right? Yes and no. One cannot deny that without language all one can do is stare mindlessly, like an infant child, for it is in this symbolic existence of ours that the edifice of knowledge is built.

But does this invalidate intuitive knowledge? Yes, for the most part. Knowledge is propositional, and as Rorty put it, there are no propositions "out there." Propositions don't reach out to other things. They don't have this "reaching out" epistemic. But what of Value? As an example, it is not like the color yellow: reduce yellow to the mere qualia of being appeared to in a yellow way, and frankly you run directly into Heidegger's (and Kierkegaard's) famous "nothing". See Heidegger's What Is Metaphysics? You can argue the yellow qua yellow remains "other than" the knowledge claim about yellow, but when you try to give this analysis, it falls flat, and one finds oneself in Heidegger's world of hermeneutics. there is this great passage from Heidegger's Origin of the Work of Art that makes this world pretty clear:

What art is should be inferable from the work. What the work of art is we can come
to know only from the nature of art. Anyone can easily see that we are moving in a
circle. Ordinary understanding demands that this circle be avoided because it violates
logic. What art is can be gathered from a comparative examination of actual art works.
But how are we to be certain that we are indeed basing such an examination on art
works if we do not know beforehand what art is? And the nature of art can no more be
arrived at by a derivation from higher concepts than by a collection of characteristics
of actual art works. For such a derivation, too, already has in view the characteristics

that must suffice to establish that what we take in advance to be an art work is one in
fact. But selecting works from among given objects, and deriving concepts from principles,
are equally impossible here, and where these procedures are practiced they are a
self-deception.
Thus we are compelled to follow the circle. This is neither a makeshift nor a defect.
To enter upon this path is the strength of thought, to continue on it is the feast of
thought, assuming that thinking is a craft. Not only is the main step from work to art a
circle like the step from art to work, but every separate step that we attempt circles in
this circle.

My underscores. You see how Heidegger's mind works? Forget about there being some world "out there". There is only this world, our dasein, which is our existence, and IN this dasein, others and Others, things and people that are NOT me, make an appearance. This is not idealism.

To understand what my favorite French post Husserlians are saying, one has to step back from this strong hermeneutics, and encounter the world anew. It is in ethics and aesthetics that the world speaks! Now, you take issue with this:

This "aspect" you speak of is traditional metaphysics, which presumes to speak of absolute foundations of being. As with Leibniz's monadology or Spinoza's Substance or Platonic forms and so on. The idea I defend takes a rather delicate look at this. Husserl thought there was something undeniable in just being in the midst of the world, and this was the intuitive grasp of the bare presence of things. Not a tree, but a structured presence of time, object relations, static and genetic phenomenology, and on and on. This guy is meticulous! His reasoning is that pure phenomena discovered in the epoche are intuitive absolutes---can you really deny something is occurring now? You can play Descartes with many things that are said about what is happening, but you cannot deny there is a presence before you. And, since epistemology and ontology are simply two sides to the same coin, this indubitability translates as an ontological absolute, a claim about What Is, about Being. So how is it that one can possibly apprehend an absolute? Only through an identifiable form of discovery, and this would be phenomenology. The "eidetic" essence of an object must include an epistemic dimension, a way to know it, simply because we do in fact know it. This makes knowledge at this level absolute, if still a work in progress.
Heidegger thinks Husserl is trying to walk on water. Derrida thinks Heidegger is trying to walk on water (see John Caputo's account of this in his Radical Hermeneutics). In steps Levinas, the post-contra-Heideggerian" Heidegger is right accept he leaves out the most important part, ethics and the absolute of ethics! I won't go into this because it gets too entangled in the details and frankly I am still working on this. But consider, Levinas's face of suffering in the Other presupposes (begs the questions about) an analysis of metaethics (and metaaesthetics, says Wittgenstein), that is, the question about the nature of the ethical "good" and "bad". I think the argument I laid out shows how this analysis has to go.

Proof is in the pudding: stick your hand in a pot of boiling water. Is there any ambiguity in this? There IS ambiguity in more entangled affairs, for example, if sticking your hand is boiling water will deliver others from some other suffering, then one has to weigh the matter, working through a culture's established thinking and sentiment, perhaps; but such entanglements (and most ethical problems are embedded in this, and are thereby made ambiguous) are factual in nature, and facts are contingent (you would have to work this one out: facts contingent? The moon being closer to the earth than the sun, contingent?? Yes, because facts are language constructs, and language is "made" not discovered. I don't know how your thinking goes here, but for me, it is a foregone conclusion. You can argue about this. It is a worthy discussion). When I say the world speaks, it goes no further than the pure phenomenon one encounters in the scalding of the flesh. This is not a language event, and all we can and should do is describe it. That is phenomenology (it is also the way natural sciences work, of course). Of course, we take up the pain IN language as I am now writing about it, but there is something going on here that is not like the usual qualia, not like being-redly-appeared-to, as they say. that powerful sensation of boiling water on living flesh is an affair of radical Value. It tells us this is bad. But this term 'bad' belongs to language and propositional expressions, and, as Rorty put it, propositions are not "out there" just as truth is not out there. They are only in a language "game", and this obviously goes to Wittgenstein's insistence that value cannot be spoken: language games are contextualizations, and this grounds truth in contingency(Rorty has a serious problem defending his ethics, given his denial that there is a metaphysics of ethics, as there is no such thing as metaphysics at all! See Simon Critchley's critical paper, which I can't find now or I'd name it).

As you've noticed about phenomenology, "out there" and "in here" are not to be conceived as localized and separate. This is a very hard part of the equation. The stone I see is not, nor can it ever be conceived as apart from the Being that encompasses us both. It is not that its Being IS an idea in my head. Rather, it is that AS OTHER than my self, something "over there" and "not me", it is transcendence. That stone in its phenomenological over thereness (meaning, look; it's over there, and it's not me. this is what the descriptive account tells us) transcends my Being. Husserl held that because of the nexus of intentionality, we are thereby epistemically connected to the stone in the requisite way to validate a knowledge claim at the intuitive level (and the "naturalistic" level). Levinas, I believe thus far in reading him, holds this as well, but in his thinking, there is a metaphysics of alterity in the Other person that imposes an ethical imposition on our existence. As above, I see, and I refer to my claim in this, the deeper presupposition in this thinking: what IS the pure phenomenon of, call it positive and negative value? For this descriptive account, one needs to go to the determinative source, which is in the concrete actuality, the "presence" or the "givenness" of the reduced phenomenon itself. See Michel Henry and the way he underscores the clarity of the feels and smells and sights that one takes in once the presumptive interpretative field has been cleared. This is a Husserlian move to release the stone from, to put it simply, memory. This should sound a bit familiar. It is aligned with the Zen koan and the meditative approach to enlightenment. Husserl, of course, was no Buddhist. He was, as Derrida calls him, a Greek!--for he favored a systematic and "scientific" thesis for philosophical enlightenment. But what really happens when one starts "reducing" the world to its essential givenness? Practicing this daily? For me what happens is something quite impossible, by contemporary standards.

I would have to get back to you this. I don't off hand recall his The Set of Problems Pertaining to Noetic-Noematic Structures in chapter four of part three of IDEAS I, and this is where Husserl's discussion lies. As I see it, and partially recall, Value as such is discovered in the "hyletic data" which will be later taken up as "givenness" (see Being Given by Jean luc Marion). I don't recall how Husserl dealt with it, exactly, but I am sure he systematized it and, contra Levinas who is explicitly a religious thinker, failed to see the profound nature of this. Very strong systematic thinkers are almost always dismissive of Value simply because they do not experience the world with any affective priority. Husserl talks a lot about intuition, but he is no "intuitionist" and certainly not a mystic. Quite the opposite.

But then, I am a "threshold" existentialist, a mystic in the Eckhartian sense. I defend a thesis of radical indeterminacy that assaults one's sensibilities at the "end" of the Husserlian reduction. This reduction has a radical Eastern counterpart, which is "neti neti" or, as we call it, apophatic theology: approaching God through negation of established interpositioned knowledge claims.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream