Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:43 am The solution is to attack the first premise: that God is a necessary precondition for logic.
Yes, I've not encountered this particular idea before, although we are all surely aware of some ... far-fetched ideas coming from theists? This one is more incredible than most. That God is a necessary precondition for logic and morals? I find it difficult to describe an argument for what seems to be glaringly obvious.

I accept that what is glaringly obvious to me is not so obvious to all, but, really! No logic without God? This is not the God I venerate. Let's leave it at that. 😉
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus Location: England
Atla wrote: June 18th, 2022, 2:59 am "Logic" is much better explained by the Anthropic principle.
Why "explain" logic when a description seems so much more appropriate? Logic is a tool, a mode, or style, of thought, that humans have developed, to help them (us) clarify our serious thinking. Someone else could probably describe it a little better, but that's the gist of it, surely? All else is detail.
Atla wrote: June 18th, 2022, 3:45 am Logic is inherent in human thinking, communication, we can't get outside it.
Empirical observation reveals many humans whose thoughts are rarely, if ever, disturbed by logic. This leads me to suppose that logic is by no means "inherent" in human thinking. It is a tool that some find useful, while others feel no need for it, apparently.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 7:08 am Why "explain" logic when a description seems so much more appropriate? Logic is a tool, a mode, or style, of thought, that humans have developed, to help them (us) clarify our serious thinking. Someone else could probably describe it a little better, but that's the gist of it, surely? All else is detail.
Just wanted to cut in that we must be careful to distinguish logic the process from logic the thing.

When humans "do" logic, they're doing a process. But the thing that they study is external to them, they are not making it. They make the words and symbols to describe it, they write things down such as "The first law of logic is identity, which means..." and things like that. But describing logic doesn't mean humans are creating it. Similar to mathematics, humans make syntax and symbols and words to say that 1 + 1 = 2, but they don't invent that fact; they discover it.
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat Location: USA
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 7:13 am
Atla wrote: June 18th, 2022, 3:45 am Logic is inherent in human thinking, communication, we can't get outside it.
Empirical observation reveals many humans whose thoughts are rarely, if ever, disturbed by logic. This leads me to suppose that logic is by no means "inherent" in human thinking. It is a tool that some find useful, while others feel no need for it, apparently.
Agree, here I just meant human thinking and communication as used in more serious philosophical discussions. There are lots of people who have little to no ability to use use logic. And lots of people who have little to no ability to use meaning, to "understand". And I've known one who couldn't use either.
Atla wrote: June 18th, 2022, 7:43 am
Agree, here I just meant human thinking and communication as used in more serious philosophical discussions. There are lots of people who have little to no ability to use use logic. And lots of people who have little to no ability to use meaning, to "understand". And I've known one who couldn't use either.
Only one? 🙂
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 9:05 am
Atla wrote: June 18th, 2022, 7:43 am
Only one? 🙂
Yeah only one (that I remember). I'm not speaking metaphorically or about percentages, I think the relevant parts of his neocortex were literally not working at all.
Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:43 am I say that this is problematic, as mentioned before, because it puts the cart firmly before the horse. How could God be the foundation for anything at all without being God? In other words, doesn't it seem a necessary condition for God = God to be true before God can somehow make A = A to be true? But that is Identity: it seems as though identity is a necessary precondition for God to be God rather than the other way around!
I am not religious but the idea that God would need to be a being seems invalid. Therefore the empirical reality substantiated idea 'God = God to be true' to be a necessary condition, is not valid. God seems to precede the potential for A = A to be possible.

I recently participated in the topic Logical Limitation of the Logic which indicates that logic has a limit, which is indicative that it requires an (a priori) explanation outside the scope of reason.

I replied with the following:

... The potential for reason and logic itself would be at question and that question is equal to the question into the origin of the cosmos.

Chinese philosopher Laozi (Lao Tzu) has attempted it in book Tao Te Ching. The book starts with the following:

"The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name."

What is the meaning of an insight that logic would attempt to unlock (an insight into the origin of reason itself) when the insight that it unlocks cannot be said?

One would enter the field of poetry that attempts to use language to transfer insight into experience that would then need to function as an addition to supplement logical reasoning to provide it with a ground to venture beyond the limit of its own origin.

The book Tao Te Ching is written as a poem for that purpose.

Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:43 amThe presuppositionalist might turn around and say that this is nonsense: God is a se, exists unto Himself, is not dependent on anything to exist by virtue of His aseity. But herein lies another riposte: I submit that God cannot exist a se because God is dependent on at least one thing transcendental to Himself: that which makes God, God (or limits God to being God and not from being not-God, however we want to phrase this).
Being, existing, properties, making into something are all a posteriori or empirical concepts that cannot apply to what could be indicated with the concept God.

The idea of actual infinity may provide an insight. It would require to conceptualize the idea of beginning-less. The applicability of the concept actual infinity is evident through the idea of potential (mathematical) infinity. Therefore, actual infinity is to be found at the fundament of reality.

Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:43 amAlvin Plantinga poses a little problem in his book, Does God Have a Nature?: we hold these two intuitions about God, that God has aseity and that God has absolute sovereignty. But these intuitions make a paradox when all that we do is we ask: could God have decided to have different properties?

The answer can't be "yes" (which would be the route where we agree with absolute sovereignty) as that also puts the cart before the horse: in order for God to have decided to have different properties "in the beginning" (and I don't mean temporally "the beginning," I just mean whatever "initial" properties God may have had) then God would have had to already have properties, such as the property of knowing what properties are possible to have, and the property of power to make it so. Put shortly, God couldn't have chosen His initial properties because the very act of choosing properties to have requires properties to already exist.

So God can't have absolute sovereignty: God's properties, at least initially, were beyond God's control, He couldn't help but to have those properties. But that means that God is relevantly dependent on something else, something transcendental to God: the thing that makes God God, and not anything else. That thing can't be God Himself (by way of the argument just above). So the presuppositionalist can no longer say that nothing is transcendental to God, because something has to be in order for God to be God in the first place.
There would be no properties or decisions within the concept actual infinity (beginning-less). Such a concept would concern the a priori potential for properties and would concern metaphysics.

Again: I am not religious myself. Using simple logic however, it is evident for me that 'good per se' must underlay reality.

Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:43 amLogic, or the "laws of logic," is one of those things that has to be transcendental to God. God is relevantly dependent on logic in order to be God and not the other way around. Thus God can't be the "foundation" or "source" of logic, and thus the Transcendental Argument for God fails before it ever gets off the ground.
If not an aspect that can be referenced as God (or for example TAO in 🇨🇳 China), then, what can explain the potential for logic to be possible, a potential that is evidently required in the face of the limits of logic?
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 7:08 am
Atla wrote: June 18th, 2022, 2:59 am "Logic" is much better explained by the Anthropic principle.
Why "explain" logic when a description seems so much more appropriate? Logic is a tool, a mode, or style, of thought, that humans have developed, to help them (us) clarify our serious thinking. Someone else could probably describe it a little better, but that's the gist of it, surely? All else is detail.
Wouldn't it be important to venture into the potential for logic? I.e. the why of logic?
snt wrote: June 19th, 2022, 10:55 am Chinese philosopher Laozi (Lao Tzu) has attempted it in book Tao Te Ching.

If not an aspect that can be referenced as God (or for example TAO in 🇨🇳 China)...
Your mentions of Daoism are refreshing, and welcome (to me, at least). But you presumably know that the Tao is not really synonymous with God, yes?
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2022, 12:18 pm
snt wrote: June 19th, 2022, 11:15 am Correction: the why of the potential of logic?
OK, but first, would you clarify the "potential of logic", and then we can more easily consider the "why" of it?
At first it is to be considered that the 'why' question of the cosmos is evidently applicable. On the basis of that argument, any concept will involve a question into its potential for being.

As can be seen in the arguments by Space Cat the concept 'being' is taken for granted while that would neglect the 'why' question into the potential for being.
Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:00 am How could God be the foundation for anything at all without being God? In other words, doesn't it seem a necessary condition for God = God to be true before God can somehow make A = A to be true? But that is Identity: it seems as though identity is a necessary precondition for God to be God rather than the other way around!
In the case of logic the 'why' question into it's potential for being is of a special nature since logic concerns the production of reason and of reason it can be said that it encapsulates anything of which it can be said to posses the nature being, since without reason, those beings would remain unknown.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2022, 12:19 pm
snt wrote: June 19th, 2022, 10:55 am Chinese philosopher Laozi (Lao Tzu) has attempted it in book Tao Te Ching.

If not an aspect that can be referenced as God (or for example TAO in 🇨🇳 China)...
Your mentions of Daoism are refreshing, and welcome (to me, at least). But you presumably know that the Tao is not really synonymous with God, yes?
I am not an expert on the subject but perhaps it would be difficult by definition the judge diverse human conceptions of aspects, especially when it concerns personal beliefs. I could imagine that for some people the idea of God would be similar to the idea of Tao, especially for people who address the concept from a philosophical or logical perspective.

Do you have a special interest in Daoism, Tao or Eastern philosophy?
snt wrote: June 19th, 2022, 10:55 am Being, existing, properties, making into something are all a posteriori or empirical concepts that cannot apply to what could be indicated with the concept God.

The idea of actual infinity may provide an insight. It would require to conceptualize the idea of beginning-less. The applicability of the concept actual infinity is evident through the idea of potential (mathematical) infinity. Therefore, actual infinity is to be found at the fundament of reality.
Sorry for cropping out large chunks of the original reply. As I found myself typing, I wanted to basically type one thing and then say "refer to that one thing" as replies on the other lines, so I decided this is simply the most poignant thing I wanted to say something in response to.

If God is not a being, then we've left the realm of theism and I'm not sure the word "God" applies. If the universe is God (for instance) then my thoughts on the matter are that the latter name is unneeded since "the universe" works fine. So my post is directed at gods-as-beings, it doesn't apply to a god that is not a being and can safely be ignored.

If existence "cannot apply" to God, then I'm not entirely sure what's even being said. Either a god exists or one does not. My post was directed at arguments with a god proposed to exist.

If properties "cannot apply" to God, then we aren't talking about anything cognizable. We might as well be talking about slithey toves gyring and gimbling in wabes.

I know this response is short, but I wasn't quite sure what else to do with it.

If we say that God is something that doesn't exist or have properties but we're still trying to say something, we're not communicating anything. We're saying "an unknowable thing is doing an unknowable thing in an unknowable way." That imparts as much communication as TV static. I dispute this notion that we can meaningfully talk about things to which existence or properties "cannot apply." That's just not talking about anything at all.
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat Location: USA

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream