Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:49 am
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:46 am
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:41 am
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:37 am
A location in spacetime is a location in spacetime. A reference point maps the rest of spacetime viewed from that location, and so it also has to have an orientation.
I'm defining the terms I'm using. Synonymous terms, as I'm defining them are spatiotemporal situatedness or spatiotemporal orientation.

What does quibbling about how you'd like me to define terms I'm using have to do with whether the relations in question are subjective or objective? (By the way, I thought that subjective/objective wasn't even a distinction you accepted.)
Okay word salad and nonsensical accusations from you as usual. I'm not interested in this.
If you can't understand what I'm saying (it seems like "word salad" to you), we'd need to clarify it for you/figure out how to put it in words that you would understand for the same content. I'm willing to do that work, but it can't be done if you're not interested in participating. <shrug>
Yes which is your usual attitude. You take a topic with a fairly well-established vocabulary, redefine most of the key concepts for yourself, to the point where you don't even understand what the issues were all about, and dismiss the issues. And then you lament how it's other people's shortcomings for not doing the work of trying to figure out what you mean. And when they do put in the effort, it usually turns out that what you meant was some banal misunderstanding, which wasted everyone's time.

I don't know why you get off on this, but most people come to philosophy forums to actually improve, learn something new, or at least get a better understandings of the views they already hold. Not to play such games, it gets old real quick.
I guess I'm late to this particular party because of time zone differences. It already seems to be in full swing with the music up to full volume and the neighbours banging on the wall.

So I'll just start with this.
Scott wrote:Objectively, is the blue car on the left or the right?
In my usage, "objective" means propositions that are verifiable (or questions that are answerable) by an arbitrarily large number of other people because they're propositions/questions about real things outside of the proposers mind rather than about the proposer's state of mind. ("Is it raining?" versus "Is it raining in your heart, Buddy?"). Or to put it more succinctly: Objective propositions are about real objects.

So the question quoted above is an incomplete objective one. That doesn't stop it from being objective. It just makes it incomplete. A bit like asking "Objectively, is it raining in the city of...?".

Here's a complete version:

Objectively, is the blue car on the left or the right of the red car from the point of view of the green car looking towards them and standing upright?
In other words, leftness and rightness are not merely relative in the way that distance is relative.
Given your interest in GR and SR, I'd think you'd say distance is relative in the same way: the distance you measure between two objects will depend on your movements relative to those two objects. The invariant thing is the quantity that in SR is referred to as "interval".
Directional orientation, such as leftness and rightness, is not merely a relationship between the physical objects in the image. It is relative to a made-up (and therefore transcendental) reference frame; That is, unless we posit consciousnesses (plural) and by extension real conscious presents (plural) that can each act like a reference frame but perhaps be real.
No consciousness required. Just an acknowledgement that objectively existing properties can be described differently from different possible points of view. You don't have to place a conscious being at that point of view in order to state how objective facts about the positions of objects are worded from that point of view.
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:58 am
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:49 am
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:46 am
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:41 am
I'm defining the terms I'm using. Synonymous terms, as I'm defining them are spatiotemporal situatedness or spatiotemporal orientation.

What does quibbling about how you'd like me to define terms I'm using have to do with whether the relations in question are subjective or objective? (By the way, I thought that subjective/objective wasn't even a distinction you accepted.)
Okay word salad and nonsensical accusations from you as usual. I'm not interested in this.
If you can't understand what I'm saying (it seems like "word salad" to you), we'd need to clarify it for you/figure out how to put it in words that you would understand for the same content. I'm willing to do that work, but it can't be done if you're not interested in participating. <shrug>
Yes which is your usual attitude. You take a topic with a fairly well-established vocabulary, redefine most of the key concepts for yourself, to the point where you don't even understand what the issues were all about, and dismiss the issues. And then you lament how it's other people's shortcomings for not doing the work of trying to figure out what you mean. And when they do put in the effort, it usually turns out that what you meant was some banal misunderstanding, which wasted everyone's time.

I don't know why you get off on this, but most people come to philosophy forums to actually improve, learn something new, or at least get a better understandings of the views they already hold. Not to play such games, it gets old real quick.
So, for one, you're saying that "spatiotemporal reference point" is a common term, where I'm using that common term in an unusual way that you can't figure out from the context of usage, and you have a problem with this. Is that correct?
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine Location: NYC Man
I don't know why you get off on this, but most people come to philosophy forums to actually improve, learn something new, or at least get a better understandings of the views they already hold.
Re that,by the way, I've been doing philosophy for close to 50 years now (I first became intensely interested in philosophy in late 1973/early 1974). The only thing I can really learn on boards like this are quirky things that particular individuals believe and quirky attitudes and personalities they have, although unfortunately (for entertainment purposes) there's not near as much variety in the attitudes and personalities as there is in the odd beliefs. I haven't been very much involved with academia for awhile, so posting on boards (even though I'd prefer chat) is an opportunity to keep up some of my communication chops in a philosophical context (to my satisfaction). And trying to figure out the weird things that the motley crew of participants on boards like this believe and especially what their (often ulterior) motivations if not simple relatively uneducated confusions are is a welcome casual challenge, especially in light of the almost guaranteed concurrent arrogance the views arrive with. I also get some entertainment from attempting to break through all of that, even though it's more of a challenge fit for psychological/psychiatric work.
Scott wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:57 pm .
I think the problem might be that they aren't using a "universal" perspective at all, they are only using local reference frames. While we jump back and forth between the two kinds of perspectives, which I find necessary to do.
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:33 am
I don't know why you get off on this, but most people come to philosophy forums to actually improve, learn something new, or at least get a better understandings of the views they already hold.
Re that,by the way, I've been doing philosophy for close to 50 years now (I first became intensely interested in philosophy in late 1973/early 1974). The only thing I can really learn on boards like this are quirky things that particular individuals believe and quirky attitudes and personalities they have, although unfortunately (for entertainment purposes) there's not near as much variety in the attitudes and personalities as there is in the odd beliefs. I haven't been very much involved with academia for awhile, so posting on boards (even though I'd prefer chat) is an opportunity to keep up some of my communication chops in a philosophical context (to my satisfaction). And trying to figure out the weird things that the motley crew of participants on boards like this believe and especially what their (often ulterior) motivations if not simple relatively uneducated confusions are is a welcome casual challenge, especially in light of the almost guaranteed concurrent arrogance the views arrive with. I also get some entertainment from attempting to break through all of that, even though it's more of a challenge fit for psychological/psychiatric work.
I know this, except philosophy does go worlds beyond what you understand, so you aren't exactly the best person to judge the views of others.
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:40 am
Scott wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:57 pm .
I think the problem might be that they aren't using a "universal" perspective at all, they are only using local reference frames. While we jump back and forth between the two kinds of perspectives, which I find necessary to do.
A so-called "universal perspective" IS simply another reference frame, and there are no objectively preferred reference frames.

There are definitely some spatiotemporal reference points/situatedness/orientations from which some relations won't obtain. This doesn't imply that they don't (objectively) obtain from other spatiotemporal reference points/situatedness/orientations.

(By the way, "reference frame" is a common term in physics, unlike "spatiotemporal reference point," and its conventional definition isn't how we're using it here. Not that this should be an issue, but I'm just saying . . .)
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:48 am
I know this, except philosophy does go worlds beyond what you understand, so you aren't exactly the best person to judge the views of others.
Says someone with nowhere near my own qualifications. But that's part of the arrogance I'm referring to.
Obviously this topic is a continuation of the conversation in another topic in which Scott (supported by Atla) proposed that leftness and rightness are "fictions" because they only make sense when a reference frame - a point of view - is specified. It uses the examples of coloured cars in a carpark/parking lot that I started with there.

As I said in that topic, my view is that the base of the problem is confusion between references and referents. As I said, the fact that it's possible to refer to a given referent in a number of different ways doesn't make the referent fictional, and it makes no sense (to me at least) to say that the reference is fictional independently of consideration of what it is referring to. That would constitute reification of the reference.

So an object can be to the left of, the the right of, above or below another object depending on point of view. That just means that relative position can be referred to by a number of different words depending on viewpoint. That has no bearing on whether anything is fictional or not. Just as the fact that Santa Claus can be referred to as "Santa Claus" or "Father Christmas" (or other terms) doesn't in itself tell us whether that particular referent is fictional.
Steve3007 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:50 am . . . because they only make sense when a reference frame - a point of view - is specified.
And whether we specify one or not, there's no escaping them. The idea that there's some way that anything is "from no reference frame" is incoherent.
Terrapin Station wrote:And whether we specify one or not, there's no escaping them. The idea that there's some way that anything is "from no reference frame" is incoherent.
Yes, hence they are often implicit, probably the most common implicit one being the surface of the Earth. So when I said "standing upright" I didn't need to say "perpendicular to the surface of the Earth."
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:50 am
Says someone with nowhere near my own qualifications. But that's part of the arrogance I'm referring to.
You are only qualified when it comes to the history of philosophy.

An education in philosophy typically doesn't improve one's philosophical abilities. If anything, an education in Western philosophy tends to make things worse, afterwards you will have to start with unlearning it. What is arrogant but ultimately self hindering, is not wanting to admit this.
Atla wrote: April 29th, 2021, 6:01 am
Terrapin Station wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:50 am

You are only qualified when it comes to the history of philosophy.

An education in philosophy typically doesn't improve one's philosophical abilities. If anything, an education in Western philosophy tends to make things worse, afterwards you will have to start with unlearning it. What is arrogant but ultimately self hindering, is not wanting to admit this.
Maybe there's some way you could make it cleared that you are unaware of what's involved in getting a PhD in philosophy, but I'm not sure what that way would be.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream