Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
If you haven't already, you can sign up to be personally mentored by Scott "Eckhart Aurelius" Hughes at this link.

Sometimes friendly people, friendly fans, and friends in general will compliment me about the many ways I "give back" or "pay it forward". My attitude and response is de nada and con gusto. It's of nothing and with pleasure. I am thankful to them for the compliment about my alleged generosity. :)

Nonetheless, on a more philosophical side, there is something to explore there that I want both my mentees and other readers to deeply consider and understand and keep in mind throughout all sorts of very different life contexts.

And that's this: I typically don't like to think in terms of "giving back" or "paying it forward", because then it seems to mean I'm just a slavish cog in an ongoing karmic cycle out of my control, meaning I'd be merely mirroring/copying other people's energy, only treating the world as good or bad as it allegedly treats me, frowning at those who frown at me and smiling at those who smile at me, getting into road rage fights with fight-seeking road-ragers, and probably buying a car every single time I test drove one because those salespeople are experts in getting you to match their energy, which of course always happens to be buy now energy and this car is amazing energy and cars will make you happy energy.

Instead, I prefer to see myself as a rebellious free-spirit that breaks cycles including karmic cycles.

Instead of slapping the slapper, I might turn my other check to them.

I might smile at the frowner.

I will always love the hater.

And, when it seems everyone else is most hating someone, I will go out of my way to bend over backwards to love that person even harder and to make my love for them most visible to all. There is a reason I wrote and heavily publicized a short booklet called "I Love Brock Turner" (a spoiled rich rapist) and earned myself countless extremely triggered haters who among other things ultimately got the book banned from Amazon. Getting a bunch of haters triggered and hating me wasn't an inadvertent mistake; it was mission accomplished. I hadn't even considered that I would succeed so well at that project that the book would get banned by Amazon. But even better. I am so proud to be the author of a banned book.

When everyone is throwing stones at someone, I'd love to do what nobody is doing and maybe nobody else did for me ever, and stand in front of those thrown stones.

I don't want to give back merely what was given to me, but give more than was ever given to me, which also requires creation and thus often free-spirited creativity. I can create wealth among other things. I don't need to be given wealth or such to give it away. Perhaps that's one key fallacy had by those spirits still trapped in a body trapped in karmic cycles or the cycles of addiction and misery and the addictive hellish comfort zone: Perhaps they falsely think they physically can only give away what was given to them. Perhaps they falsely think that wealth and such is a zero-sum game. Perhaps they falsely think, "To give it away, I need to have it, and, to have it, I need to have been given it." No! Wealth is not a zero-sum game. It can be created.

And there's a lot more to life and creativity than merely wealth.

You can give away so many things that were never given to you.

A philosophical zombie (i.e. a hypothetical human who literally has no spirit or true consciousness at all) would not be capable of free-spirited creativity. But neither you nor I are philosophical zombies. The humans we see in the mirror are conscious human beings, meaning they have spirits that can be free or not. In one sense we have consciousness, meaning we have spirits. In a deeper and truer sense, we are the consciousness, meaning we are the spirits. We are that which the body has that makes it not be a zombie body. As my book says, you don't have a spirit; You are the spirit. You have a body.

Both you and (thanks to you) the human body you see in the mirror are capable of free-spirited creativity. Unlike a philosophical zombie that has no spirit to free or cage, you and your body together as a human being have the potential to have self-discipline (a.k.a. spiritual freedom). You can break cycles. You can be more and do differently than the genes would have a philosophical zombie do. You can break memetic cycles too. People tend to mimic their ancestors both genetically and memetically. But as someone capable of being a free spirit rather than a slavish cog in an ongoing cycle predating you by billions of years, if your great-grandfather abused and bullied your grandfather, who abused and bullied your father who abused and bullied you and seemed to do his absolute best to train you through his role modeling example to be an abusive bully, well you can choose to not pay that forward. You can choose to break that cycle. You can choose to be a rebellious free-spirit and not do what the genes and memes and cancer-like self-perpetuating patterns and cycles and feedback loops would otherwise have you do. You can become revealed to yourself as a co-creator of this timeless and seemingly infinite 4D spacetime. If this material world of eternal spacetime is the painting, you can be revealed as a free-spirited painter with a paintbrush in your hand. It can feel like you are changing the future, which (if we accept causal determinism) would require changing the past, but in reality there is no "the future" and no "the past", and, in reality, you are creating not changing, but even the word creating, while still more accurate than changing, can still be misleading and understate your power insofar as it implies a form of real time or temporal objectivity or objective simultaneity that simply does not and cannot exist. To say you already painted it, or are currently painting it, or will paint it is all to say the same thing when we really understand the eternal unchanging timelessness of true reality and the nature of who and what you really are, but if you don't get that yet, just let it go for now. Just know, that it's really no more sensible or true to say that "the past" causes "the future" than that that "the future" causes "the past" or that your now causes it all; to disagree with any of that requires disproving Einstein. Objectively, the painting is eternal, timeless, tenseless, and self-consistent.

"We always did it that way," others may say. "It's tradition", others may say. "It's what's proper and in good propriety, and we shall shame with our wagging fingers anyone who dares violate our would-be enslaving moral laws," others may say. To all of that I would rebelliously say, "Good, all the more reason I'll do it this new different way!"

Real universal laws can't be violated. Reality is always right. Truth is never wrong. Reality is never wrong. It's always funny to me when someone says I can't do what I am doing, or can't do what I am going to do and then do do. And it's not just funny because do do sounds like I'm talking about poop. I can't do it? Then explain how I am doing it. Typically, the easiest way to disprove an alleged law is to break it, and typically the easiest way to overthrow or dethrone a pseudo or would-be master is to disobey them and break their impotent commandments. By definition, I can do what I do do, and that applies to everything not just poo poo.

Even if I was deprived of something, I often won't give back that deprivation nor pay it forward.

I am in touch with that which makes this body not be a philosophical zombie and that which makes this body behave differently than it would if it was a philosophical zombie. And that thing is me, the real me. And when this human being who writes to you now is most free-spirited (a.k.a. self-disciplined), then the real me and the unreal me--meaning this spirit and this body--become one, become coherent, and act together. It is then that we can truly say in all the seemingly opposite senses of the equivocal words we use to describe the self that then I am most myself.

Rather than to merely give back or pay forward, I shall create and give away that which I created, with love and rebelliously free-spirited creativity. I shall be a free artist in the world, in touch with the transcendental essence of who and what I really am, not merely a slavish cog in a machine.

Instead of a cog, I shall be me, the real me.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

break-the-cycle.jpg
break-the-cycle.jpg (115.28 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

---
In addition to having authored his book, In It Together, Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (a.k.a. Scott) runs a mentoring program, with a free option, that guarantees success. Success is guaranteed for anyone who follows the program.
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
So far as 'giving back' or 'paying it forward' is concerned, we can give away so many things that were never given to us. There is a lot more to life and creativity than merely wealth. I loved the words 'if this material world of eternal spacetime is the painting, we can be revealed as free-spirited painters.' We can create and give away that which we created with love and free-spirited creativity. We can be in touch with our transcendental essence of who and what we really are.
It's strange to realize that despite consciously trying to break patterns, we often end up picking up the very things we disliked in our parents. This realization has made me more aware of my actions and has motivated me to work harder to break those patterns and become a better version of myself.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=563160
Embracing your role as a creative force rather than a cog in the cycle of giving back or paying it forward is a powerful stance. It's about creating and contributing in ways that transcend mere reciprocity, breaking cycles, and crafting something truly unique. Your vision of actively choosing to be a force of change and creativity, rather than passively participating in established patterns, is both inspiring and revolutionary. It reminds us that we each have the potential to be architects of our destiny, crafting our contributions with intention and free-spirited innovation.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream