Philosophy Discussion Forums | A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

Philosophy Discussion Forums
A Humans-Only Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Forums at OnlinePhilosophyClub.com aim to be an oasis of intelligent in-depth civil debate and discussion. Topics discussed extend far beyond philosophy and philosophers. What makes us a philosophy forum is more about our approach to the discussions than what subject is being debated. Common topics include but are absolutely not limited to neuroscience, psychology, sociology, cosmology, religion, political theory, ethics, and so much more.

This is a humans-only philosophy club. We strictly prohibit bots and AIs from joining.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules: This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw: Freedom means self-responsibility; That is why most people dread it.

Imagine a person who is eating some delicious ice cream, but instead of enjoying the wonderful delicious ice cream with free-spirited inner peace, the person instead yells hatefully at themselves in their own head, "I shouldn't be eating this! I am such a bad person. Why do I always do bad things like this?"

Imagine a different person who chooses to go on a no-ice-cream diet, and instead of embracing discomfort and enjoying their diet with free-spirited inner peace, they resentfully say to themselves with a miserable frown, "I so much want to eat ice cream, but I can't because I'm on a diet."

Imagine perhaps that each person unexpectedly drops dead a few minutes later for unrelated reasons. That would mean that yelling hatefully at themselves was how they spent their last few minutes on Earth. As one of many aspects of my self-chosen behavioral diet, when I temporarily part ways with another person, I do my best to speak my goodbyes to them such that I would be happy knowing those were my last words to them if one of us unexpectedly died before the next time I get to see or speak to that person. You really could die any moment, but it's not just about having insurance against that; it's about making the most of every moment and every conversation and having that inner peace that comes with not only having insurance against death but more importantly in making the most of life, of each and every moment of it, of speaking words of love and truly living to the fullest. While sometimes it's actually the harder of the two, the same self-chosen rule applies to how I speak to myself. Everything I say to myself is predicated on the unspoken question, is this the last thing I want to say to myself? Do you want your last words to be a kindness or cruelty? Do you want your last words to be a lie or the truth?

The dieter who resentfully says to themselves they "can't eat ice cream" is lying to themselves in the same way the alcoholic is lying when the alcoholic says, "I want to stay sober, but I had a rough day, so I need a drink." Same goes for a diet-breaker who says, "I am so stressed today, so I have to eat some comfort food." Same goes for the angry repeat physical abuser who says, after punching their spouse or kid in the face, "look what you made me do".

As the book says, I believe all humans are on the addiction spectrum. Some are more on one side towards one more unrealistic perfection, some are on the other side towards some other unrealistic perfection, but none are fully on the tips of the perfect ends, and the majority are in the middle like a bell curve. All are on the spectrum.

Human minds are great at creating self-deceiving illusions. An imaginary cage or enslaving oppressive tyrant can be as effective as a real one. The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master.

Many with a loud nasty rushed anxious mean endlessly talkative voice endlessly blabbering in their head don't even have the space in there to realize that they are the listener, not the speaker. As much as it may torture them to believe it, they sadly believe the mean voice is them, which brings yet more pain, and gives them more reason to believe the mean resentful judgmental things the mean voice may say. You won't even ask the question of whether you believe what the mind believes if you believe yourself to be the mind. It's hard to the point of possibly impossible to question false thoughts and inner lies when one is still in the trap of identifying with those false thoughts and inner lies, and by extension still identifying with the thinking mind that thinks them.

We cannot control what the voice in our head says, at least not fully and especially not in the present. The wonderful transcendence of realizing it is not you, and of becoming spiritually liberated, can happen seemingly instantly and spontaneously. Others seek it out. It is sometimes called "spiritual awakening" or "finding your true conscious self". I personally prefer the word lucidity to awakening, but there is countless ways to describe it. Regardless, once you find it, then you seem to have an infinite amount of space in there. The mind may still be blabbering away, but it's as if you walked out of the cramped cage you were trapped in with the thinking mind, and now you are standing free in an endless beautiful grassy field looking back at the cage with its door open and your talkative unconscious human mind still sitting in there by itself blabbering away, its silly little sayings and endless words coming out quietly to you through the open door into the field where they float away with the clouds... each beautiful, interesting, and unique in their own right, like the actual ever-changing clouds and weather themselves. Rain, sunshine, thunder--It's all so different and all so beautiful.

Compared to the mind's blabbery and typically judgmental inner monologue, we seem to have more control over what we actually literally say out loud with our human mouths or literally write with our human hands. Scientific experiments on conscious willpower show that it appears to work more like a vetoing system. It's like a passive CEO, or even a silent partner in a business, with thousands of employees, who is great at delegating, but who can interfere last-minute sometimes, and who perhaps does initiate and oversee big-picture long-term projects. Despite misleading intuitions and the dubious ego's tendency towards false authorship, at least almost all of what the body and mind does is done on and by autopilot. It's not as groundbreaking a scientific discovery as it may seem, especially for anyone who has ever daydreamed while driving home and then been shocked when the fact that you are home enters your conscious perception. How the heck did I even get here, one might ask oneself. The real illusion (pun intended) is the illusion that it is much different when you are driving otherwise. The real illusion is that you are ever not on autopilot. If your conscious experience is the one window you have open on your computer screen or phone screen, and your conscious will is that one little mouse icon or finger on the touch screen, then almost all of what your body, brain, and mind does is all the other many tabs and windows behind running in the background, and all the hidden background processes going on in the computer at the lower (and thus realer) levels of abstraction that you could never understand, rather than at the level of the graphical user interface (GUI). And most of the time there isn't even a hand on that mouse. Usually, the computer is just sitting there going along with its business. The mouse is more of a just in case, so the conscious captain can hop on occasionally and make a few high level adjustments or interferences. The effect is teeny tiny in a way, if anything, but the butterfly effect is an interesting thing.

In any case, there is a little bit more chance to use that veto power when it comes to out loud words falling out your literal mouth than silent ones popping in your brain's inner monologue.

Despite the limits of what we can control, mindfulness can be strengthened and exercised.

Consciousness itself is a given, and with conscious life comes a certain degree of minimal mindfulness. But mindfulness, mental endurance, and conscious willpower can all be refined and strengthened, way above that minimum, via use and exercise (e.g. meditation, cold showers, or learning to walk calmly on hot coals) in the same way physical strength and physical endurance can be strengthened by physical exercise such as lifting weights or running on a treadmill. Although, owning one of those literal torture machines myself, I'd say the treadmill is harsh enough to be put in the same category as walking on hot coals. Yet, I do it. I think of my treadmill workouts as a spiritual exercise more than a physical one.

For my part, I generally don't use words like 'should' or 'ought' at all. Anything I believe actually exists or is actually true can be expressed without those terms and thus without their unnecessary moralizing connotations and without the risk of unacceptingly saying reality 'should' be different than it is. Avoiding the words 'should' and 'ought' is thus a much more clear and much more precise way to speak, in my opinion.

"Should be" is heavily correlated to the opposite of "will be", thus making it seem inherently antagonistic to actual unchanging reality and eternal truths. To illustrate, imagine two people are in a room and one says, "we shouldn't kiss", and the other replies "I agree; we really ought not kiss." I bet they will probably kiss. "Should do" is not correlated with "will do", but rather the opposite.

Likewise, "should have" is heavily correlated with "did not". The spouse who says, "I should not have cheated" almost certainly did cheat.

While it can be very hard to gather what someone actually means by 'should' or 'ought', in part they mean whatever "should have happened" didn't and whatever they "should do" is precisely what they won't do. It requires much more of that dreaded self-responsibility to let go of the 'shoulds' and 'oughts' and take ownership of choosing what to actually do out of what one can do. It takes more self-responsibility to not blabber about what you "should do" whatever that means and instead say what you will do. When you have a choice between A and B, it's nonsense to talk about what you "should be choosing" while you then almost certainly choose the other. It takes more self-responsbliity and honesty to say, "I will study right now" or "I won't study right now" than "I should study right now". Actions speak louder than words, but if you are going to talk it out then you can do so truly and simply: You can say I choose A, or I choose B, and leave the inner-peace-stealing lies and nonsense out of it.

Whether it is eating ice cream, dieting, or whatever, it takes more self-responsibility to say "I choose X" or "I choose Y", versus blabbering about confusing and seemingly meaningless 'shoulds' and 'oughts'. It takes less self-responsibility to stand at an alter and say, "I ought to be faithful" than to say, "I will be faithful" or to admit you won't and aren't. Whether you eat the ice cream or not, self-responsibility (a.k.a. freedom) requires owning your choice and letting go of the inner-peace-stealing illusion that you are under the impotent authority of some kind of 'shoulds' and 'oughts'. You don't have to choose anything because must and choice are incompatible. Either you have a choice or you don't. It takes more self-responsibility to unconditionally accept the proverbial cards you are dealt and put all your energy into playing those cards, compared with putting your limited resources towards complaining nonsensically by making up ideas about how the unchangeable cards 'should' or 'ought' to be different than they unchangeably are. And self-responsibility is freedom. Spiritually speaking, it's spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline). It's price can be hefty by many measures, but it's reward is the consistent true happiness that is unwavering invincible free-spirited inner peace.

When people do use the terms 'should' and 'ought' to describe something that I actually believe exists and is true, I frequently misunderstand what they mean or just don't understand what they mean at all. In other words, I may technically agree with what they actually mean by what they say, but I will misunderstand and think they are saying something with which I disagree because of the equivocal, confusing, and seemingly moralizing terms. I take the terms 'should' and 'ought' to generally be either moralizing and/or prescriptive, particularly in the sense of being prescriptively unaccepting or resentful towards some unchangeable aspect of reality in some way (e.g. "X happened but shouldn't have happened", "Y will happen but shouldn't happen", etc.). As I see it, and as I understand the terms, one cannot have inner peace if one believes and says that unchangeable reality 'should' be different or 'ought' to be different than it unchangeably is.

Insofar as one does believe in some kind of 'moral law' (which I don't believe in and see as a superstition), then there is a significant sense in which that judgemental moralizer seems to be lacking what I call spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline). Granted, as I explain in more detail in my book In It Together, technically any such lack of spiritual freedom is actually an illusion or at least dependent on illusions, namely self-deceit or denial of some kind. Either way, illusion or not, a lack of what I call spiritual freedom also entails a lack of what I call inner peace, for the reasons explained in my book in detail. As I say in my book, a nightmare can torture the dreamer even if it's not real. And an imaginary roadblock can be just as effective as a real one.

In a sense, the very definition of resentment is the superstitious perception that there is some difference between what unchangeably is versus what allegedly "should" be. In other words, it's the reality-denying illusion that somehow unchangeable reality 'ought' to be different than it unchangeably is, whatever that means.

No matter how many prescriptions you issue against unchangeable reality, it won't change. No matter how aggressively you issue your prescriptions against unchangeable reality, it won't change. No matter how much you scream and swear and curse and try to make unchangeable reality obey your prescriptions to change, it won't. The more you prescribe against unchangeable reality, the more you will be spiritually disappointed, frustrated, resentful, unforgiving, and hateful. The more you prescribe against unchangeable reality, the less inner peace you will have. That is the sense in which when you fight unchangeable reality it fights back. That's the sense in which you can find inner peace simply by choosing to stop fighting.

Inner peace is in large part simply having the serenity to truly, fully, and unconditionally accept that which you cannot control, meaning that which you cannot change. In other words, inner peace is in large part simply the surrender to truth.

Human minds are great at self-deceit and great at obscuring simple truths, like the truth that, whatever it is, it is what it is.

Choice is limited by the boundaries of ignorance. To illustrate, imagine you are on a game show, and you get to choose which door to open out of three doors. Two have no prize, and one has a prize. In that situation, you do not have the choice between getting a prize and not getting a prize at all. Talking about trying to get a prize or such makes no sense. That is not something you control at all. That is what it means to say choice is limited by the boundaries of ignorance. You have to know and be able to predict and intend an effect for it to actually be an aspect of choice. Just because something is indirectly influenced by something your fleshy body does, doesn't mean it was affected by you, the real you. In the grand scheme of the universe including everything you would consider the past and everything you would consider the future, as an individual human being, you control almost nothing, if anything. Even if we limit the consideration to Planet Earth alone, almost everything that is going to happen on Earth tomorrow will happen exactly the same regardless of what you do today. It's not that hard to play the cards you can play because you have so very few of them. The choice to stop resenting or fighting unchangeable reality, and instead choose to enjoy the inner peace of self-responsibility and spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline), is one of those few cards you do have.

The consistent inner peace that is simply having the serenity to accept that which you cannot control (i.e. what which you cannot change) entails also having the wisdom to know the fundamental difference between what you can control and cannot control. The only thing you truly and directly control is your choices. If you control it, it's a choice; if not, it's not. That's true by definition. When it comes to your choices, you get exactly what you want, meaning what you choose.

In the same way it is inner-peace-stealing nonsense to not accept what you cannot control, it is even more absurd to not accept what you do control, which is your own choices in your own present. In the same way it is inner-peace-stealing nonsense to not accept what you cannot control, it is even more absurd to say, for example, "I have the choice between A and B, and want/should/ought to choose A but am choosing B." That is why actions speak so much infinitely louder than words.

When it comes to your choices, it is what you choose for it to be, and then thus it still is the case that it is what it is which is what you chose it to be.

When it comes to anything and everything, a choice or not, it is what it is.

As the book says, do your best, and accept the rest.

---
The book is available for purchase from all major book retailers in both ebook and hardcover format.

View on Barnes and Noble | View on Amazon | View on Books-A-Million | View on Bookshelves

freedom-means-responsibility.jpg
freedom-means-responsibility.jpg (288.84 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The pressure to adhere to societal expectations may generate internal conflict, hindering the exploration of one's true desires and beliefs. Embracing a more nuanced understanding of morality, allowing for diverse perspectives, can foster a sense of inner peace by encouraging self-acceptance and genuine connection with others.
I do think actions speak louder than words. I also know that the "talking" in our heads is often someone else's "words" and not ours. I do think sometimes our choices don't happen though because we are not the only ones in control of those choices. A couple of examples are, I will make this marriage work, but the other person chooses not to or gets the divorce. Another example is I am going for my master's degree for a better job and perhaps, the school doesn't accept me, they turn me down for a scholarship, and I graduate, but no one hires you because they have chosen someone else for a different reason, etc. You did your part for your choice, but not all of the "choice" happened. Overall, I do agree with what you wrote.
Your exploration of judgmental moralizing and the concept of 'moral law' as barriers to achieving a free-spirited inner peace offers a profound philosophical and psychological discourse. The invocation of George Bernard Shaw's perspective on freedom and self-responsibility as daunting due to the inherent obligation it places on individuals to self-govern, is insightful. It underscores the paradox that while freedom is universally sought after, the accompanying responsibility is often seen as a burden.

Your examples vividly illustrate how self-criticism and the imposition of 'shoulds' and 'oughts' on our actions and desires can lead to a state of internal conflict and distress, rather than peace and acceptance. The notion that one could spend their last moments in a state of self-reproach over something as mundane as eating ice cream is a striking reminder of how harshly we can judge ourselves, and how such judgments can detract from the quality of our existence.

The analogy of speaking to oneself with the kindness one would reserve for potentially last words to another person is a powerful call to cultivate self-compassion. This self-compassion, or the lack thereof, reflected in how we talk to ourselves about our choices, particularly those we perceive as failings, speaks volumes about our internal relationship with freedom and responsibility.

Thank you for all the insight.
It's no secret that freedom requires self-responsibility, which is why it scares most people. But if we want to lead fulfilling lives, we must be willing to step out of our comfort zones and take ownership of our actions. Blaming external factors for our own irresponsibility only holds us back from reaching our potential. So let's embrace freedom and all the opportunities it brings by being accountable for our choices.

I cannot thank you enough for constantly posting these insightful messages.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=563160
Thank you as always for all this wonderful insight you share from deep within.
This piece is very relevant and brings forth so much of my existence under loving observation.
I can feel my perspective expanding and any delusional tensions lift while reading this.

I agree very much with the quote from George Benard Shaw, in a way it reminds me of a Spider-Man quote I love
" With great power comes great responsibility ", in that, to truly be alive is a powerful experience and to embrace such liberation, it makes then sense for such an Individual to exercise great self-control ( in terms of accessing true consciousness and balancing dark and light energy ).

I am very aware of death, the seasons reflect the cycle of life and I often remind myself that all things have their perfect time in terms of natural processes. I enjoyed your explanation, particularly on how we hold the power of choice, which influences the quality of our life experience here on earth, at all times, despite the change of seasons that occur, despite inevitable death.

The power of consciousness, I see from a rather unique angle 😄 your example of it being just like the little mouse icon, ( that is easy to miss or dismiss), wow! This is a beautiful elaboration of how once we acknowledge our conscious mind exists and how to work with it, the impact that can then be created from its active operation, in terms of overriding basic automated activities that just occur day to day, from standard programming/out of routine function/ reactions - new authentic and relevant/ vibrant creations can actively/geniusly occur.

I strongly agree that " mindfulness can be strengthened and exercised", however, what I enjoy from your philosophy is that the choice is mine. I can honestly accept my choice here right now to happily choose this exercise or not but the key lies in my own self-talk, will I accept my choice with peace of mind and love for who I truly am in this life? (Soul-level)

I like that if I don't, I can choose to accept these consequences and If I do, I can still choose to accept these consequences with liberation and peace of mind.

I like that I can choose to embrace your philosophy, process it with my own conscious reflection, learn from you, and choose a very different and still joyous life with great love and appreciation from one human being to the next.

I like that I can choose to love and accept this voice in my head, my ego, and my friend. I thank this voice for adding so much of flavor, diversity,history, and spice to my life and still I request it takes a much-needed rest behind the scenes as I choose the power of my consciousness to illuminate any darkness and delusions as I live my life in the present with truth, humility, courage, creativity, and love ❤️ click, click, click 🐁

When the pop-ups occur ( much love ego, )....click...click...click...🐁

🔥all versions of me
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=508012
Thank you for your insight Scott,

I wholeheartedly agree with what you say and found that so much of it resonated with me.

I have difficulty controlling my thoughts from the moment my head hits the pillow, but manage to sail through most days with a positive/busy mindset, focusing mostly on my work with little time or interest in self-defeating thoughts - ensuring that I find time to either jog for an hour or participate in some other form of exercise. However, falling asleep and staying asleep is a different kettle of fish entirely. What you say about exercising the mind the way one would exercise the body on a treadmill is a concept I’ll use tonight and meditate on it as best I can.

I know with certainty that we are not our minds and seeing it as a separate entity does help, but I need to remind myself of this more often. My brain lights up like a Christmas tree at night and it’s like an addiction - it's not all negativity as I’m pretty skilled at blocking out stuff I can't control. It's conversations that I’ve had during the day, perhaps with my grandson who battles at school as a remedial child or it's an idea for a story I want to write on Medium, but it's always something that ensures my undivided attention throughout the night.

Perhaps you or one of your mentees have had experience with this pervasive habit? if so, let me know how you resolved it. I’d be most grateful.

Sincerely

Lorna
Favorite Philosopher: Noam Chomsky
"Many with a loud nasty rushed anxious mean endlessly talkative voice endlessly blabbering in their head don't even have the space in there to realize that they are the listener, not the speaker." I totally agree with this. Most times, when my thoughts are so loud, I just calmly ask, okay, what is the issue now? Somehow, I just listen to whatever is being said. Oddly enough, I don't feel like the one talking either. After all that's said, I can easily pick up on the actual action that needs to be done rather than the mindless panic that comes with loud thoughts.
Thanks for your insight Scott.

What I’ve noticed is that my thoughts aren’t loud or negative they consist mostly of fond memories from my childhood, stuff I need to remember to do the following day, the odd conversation and trying to find out if I missed something.They aren’t mean thoughts as I’m an all embracing all loving person. I seem to be addicted to my mind wandering wherever it wants to go at night as I dont have the time to allow it to do what it loves doing during the day. Perhaps I’m just a very free spirit acting out at having my freedom curtailed. The strange thing is I’m not constantly exhausted, manage to run/gym and work a full day even atho’ I sleep poorly.
Favorite Philosopher: Noam Chomsky
Being judgmental is something that I started working on some months ago; suspending judgment has been challenging; however, I have realized that judging others comes from the need to feel 'superior' to others, but I didn't realize that I was engaging with such behavior. As for myself, feeling bad for having done wrong will help me stay on the right track--so for me, at the moment, drawing the line between judgmental moralizing and constructive criticism is not clear yet.
I will use a notion fron the book, Fireproof Happiness, Extinguishing Anxiety and Igniting Hope by Dr Randy Ross which says that you can not control situations or things that happen, but you can control how you respond to it. Often, whe things happen, our brains are in a turmoil thinking and constantly whinning at what happened or wasn't supposed to happen. But if we embraced everything and just let things be then everything will be okay.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=489094
Wow another post with lots to unpack, but I got three things out of this that I wanted to highlight:

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: February 28th, 2023, 3:06 am

As one of many aspects of my self-chosen behavioral diet, when I temporarily part ways with another person, I do my best to speak my goodbyes to them such that I would be happy knowing those were my last words to them if one of us unexpectedly died before the next time I get to see or speak to that person. ... Do you want your last words to be a kindness or cruelty? Do you want your last words to be a lie or the truth?
Recently I've been doing this with other people, especially my Mum who is 81 and on her last legs, I never know if the next time I see her, it'll be the last, so I'm always aware of what my last words are to her every time I say goodbye. The same is true with my husband before we go to sleep, if one of us was to die during the night, I want my last words to him to be 'I love you'. Now, here's the kicker, I'm not doing that with myself enough, so from today I'm going to always talk positively to myself.

I personally prefer the word lucidity to awakening, but there is countless ways to describe it. Regardless, once you find it, then you seem to have an infinite amount of space in there. The mind may still be blabbering away, but it's as if you walked out of the cramped cage you were trapped in with the thinking mind, and now you are standing free in an endless beautiful grassy field looking back at the cage with its door open and your talkative unconscious human mind still sitting in there by itself blabbering away, its silly little sayings and endless words coming out quietly to you through the open door into the field where they float away with the clouds... each beautiful, interesting, and unique in their own right, like the actual ever-changing clouds and weather themselves. Rain, sunshine, thunder--It's all so different and all so beautiful.
I love this! Often at night I find it hard to fall asleep as my mind is blabbering away. I'm going to use the concept of walking out of the cage. I suspect it'll help me sleep better.
The real illusion is that you are ever not on autopilot. If your conscious experience is the one window you have open on your computer screen or phone screen, and your conscious will is that one little mouse icon or finger on the touch screen, then almost all of what your body, brain, and mind does is all the other many tabs and windows behind running in the background, and all the hidden background processes going on in the computer at the lower (and thus realer) levels of abstraction that you could never understand, rather than at the level of the graphical user interface (GUI).
Wow! I read this and felt I'd been slapped hard across the face — in a good way. This makes so much sense. If the body and mind are on autopilot, then I'm best using my conscious experience (the open tab) to achieve the most out of the moment and let the autopilot keep doing the rest.
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=493266
There are many beautiful truths in this piece. Thank you for sharing! And of course, for the book that you wrote which expands on what you mentioned. I love the "diet" of saying something you wouldn't regret as your last words to a person upon parting. Even if you were arguing, nothing prevents a simple affirmation of love, respect, or acceptance before moving on.

Shouting at yourself because of a choice you made is an exercise in futility. It won't change the outcome, it will just cause resentment, unhappiness, etc. Perhaps there is something to learn from it, e.g., if you chose without obtaining or considering all facts related to the matter, you will be wise to remember to make a more informed choice next time.

Some choices are really difficult and none of the options is what you want. So, when you say you get exactly what you wanted, that isn't always true. You get what you choose, and that may be the lesser of two "evils" (as the saying goes). Consider someone who gets cancer. The choices are to go for treatment and possibly extend your life or to refuse treatment and possibly die sooner (note the use of "possibly", because quite frankly, nothing is certain in this scenario). Treatment itself has choices, e.g., chemotherapy, homeopathy, etc. Your choice is to have the cancer disappear instantly. Miracle healing is an option, if you're a Christian and your faith is strong enough, but others are faced with choices that have unpleasant consequences. Chemotherapy is much more horrible than what the doctors tell you. Some of the treatments don't have such adverse effects but they're much more controversial and unproven and most likely your medical plan won't cover them, and you may not be able to afford them. Your choice therefore does not give you what you want. There are other examples, e.g. if you have to choose between feeding your family or making debt because you don't have money, not one of the choices is what you want.

I still appreciate the teaching!
In It Together review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... p?t=491308
Something that I have to train myself to do is always to say something nice or positive to the person that I am saying goodbye to. I seem to forget that I am in my 70s and live in a retirement community in southern Texas. Most of the people here are either around my age or older, and it is getting quite noticeable that every year, a few of them pass away. I always go back to my mind and think about what was the last thing that I said to them. You are very young yet to be thinking about things like this and most people your age do not even give it a second thought. You are very insightful and wise and I am glad to be a member of the OBC community.

Current Philosophy Book of the Month

Zen and the Art of Writing

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

2025 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Riddle of Alchemy

The Riddle of Alchemy
by Paul Kiritsis
January 2025

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself

They Love You Until You Start Thinking For Yourself
by Monica Omorodion Swaida
February 2025

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

by Ray Hodgson
September 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream